Author Topic: pepper has sore eyes  (Read 2845 times)

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
pepper has sore eyes
« on: July 17, 2006, 10:38:12 PM »
pepper did a bad thing today on golspie beach. she completely disappeared down a sandy rabbit hole, I was in the horrors as she was completely underground and I was afraid the burrow would collapse and bury her, so yelled frantically for her to come out .. which she did in reverse ... with a rabbit in her mouth. It died of fright, poor thing must have been having a nice snooze on a really hot day when wham! in pops a sprocker for tea!
 pepper now has sore eyes  I think its the heather rather than the sand but It happens every year. She belts through whins and thicket, forces herself through the roughest ground and ends up at the vets getting eyedrops.
I wonder if its the heather flowers that do it as it doesnt happen at other times of year, my sisters working terrier always had sore eyes when she had been underground but hers just cleared up within 24 hours and never get into the state  peppers do.
 I can remember peppers granny  getting sore eyes at the end of every season when out in the heather but again she never needed a vet,
 My vet says she has her nose down in the heather/ whatever scenting, so her eyes are being whipped by whatever she is going through. but why is it always worse when the heather is in bloom? Is there a connection? Or is pepper just unlucky. ( all the other spaniels who are out on the hill at this time come back with ok eyes) Is there a homeopathic remedy?

Offline MrsMac

• Site Member
    • http://
Re: pepper has sore eyes
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 10:46:00 PM »
Poor Pepper, sounds like a dose of scratchy heather and a bit of hayfever thrown in.  Sorry but I've no experience of sore eyes but there are a few COL'ers with dogs who do and there are homeopathic remedies.  Someone will be able to suggest something I'm sure  ;)

Hope she's better soon.

Was Golspie nice today, Inverness was hot but overcast  >:(
Mairi & Melody
Melody

Friends are the angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly

Offline *jean*

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 11:03:37 PM »
too hot , then it rained but by then was heading to black isle left pepperoni wobble bottom and little lee at home and just took rolo and two deerhounds went to fairy glen in rosemarkie then went to visit the relations. got stopped by a german lady on holiday who was missing her 10 yr old cocker called poppy. she wanted to cuddle rolo, he was being a soggy doggy tho and had been swimming with dolphins.... only joking none to be seen today just zillions of tourists. she did manage to steal a quick pat before he belted off on his inspection of channory point. Maggie the deerhound was offering cuddles instead so that made up for rolos rudeness.
dogs are great ice breakers arent they ? loads of people come up to me and ask about Rolo .
 The dornoch show is on sat thats a great dog day out,  try to go if you can. and look out for me ...small and round and rolo small and round and chocolatey.. we will be with a deerhound and a deerhound lurcher at the dog section. if you go be sure to  come over.

Offline MrsMac

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 11:11:57 PM »
You're right dogs are great ice-breakers, I've met lots of interesting people I wouldn't normally have spoken to without Melody in tow.   I hope that lady found her wee cocker.

I would love to go to the Dornoch show but my daughter is competing at the highland dancing at Inverness Highland Games on Saturday (fingers crossed for good weather) so we won't make it unfortunately.  We didn't have rain here today but I did notice a big black cloud heading over to the Black Isle  ::)  Have fun on saturday  ;)

Mairi & Melody
Melody

Friends are the angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly

Offline *jean*

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 11:22:14 PM »
oops  she hadnt lost her dog it was at home in germany ... she was just missing it if you know what I mean.  :luv:
good luck with the dancing and I hope it stays dry. wed is suppoed to be the hottest day yet.. nightmare, I hope it is cooler for the animals at the show,, i always feel sorry for the cattle sheep etc in the pens. mind yo it qite often pours rain too a bit like the blackmisle show... unpredictable..thats the highlands for you!

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 11:42:13 PM »
Hi Jean

Poor Pepper, you could try bathing with cold tea bags, that can soothe them ;)

Offline MrsMac

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 11:55:04 PM »
oops  she hadnt lost her dog it was at home in germany ... she was just missing it if you know what I mean. 

Ah right (that clunking noise you can hear is the cogs slowly turning!!)  :005:  oh well I hope she gives it lots of extra cuddles when she gets home  ;)
Mairi & Melody
Melody

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 07:15:40 AM »
I have bee nusing Colloidal Silver in Molo's eyes for the last few weeks after a very nasty infection meant a two week course of anti-biotics, and tests/examination under sedation :(

The important thing is to find a good quality supply - some of the cheaper brands can contain impurities - but it really helps keep the eyes in good condition :)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline *jean*

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 01:00:53 PM »

thanks everyone, peppers eyes much better today but thats down to betnesol eye drops, How does the silver work is it in drops? i use silver dressings at work but not heard of it as eye treatment so far.( in humans, Im a nurse) its inflammation rather than infection with pepper. If she would just close her eyes when going through rough ground, and pull her tongue in! its always getting cut. Im trying to keep her out of heather for the next wee while but its hard as were surrounded!
 have a look at these pics it will give you an idea of the type of place I live in. They are views from the croft. peppers right eye still looks sore in these but she is getting better.
http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i141/jeanmurray/spaniels%20in%20the%20heather/

Offline taliska

• Site Member
    • Our Family
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 01:11:21 PM »
Jurras got sore eyes at mo producing nice gunge throughout the day, we have some eye drops and vet checked to make sure no scratches, she reckoned it could be pollen!
Sue, Steve
Twins Sam and Sophie
Cockers - Taliska & Jurra
Puddy Cats - Tigger, Frankie & Tino

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2006, 02:40:46 PM »

thanks everyone, peppers eyes much better today but thats down to betnesol eye drops, How does the silver work is it in drops? i use silver dressings at work but not heard of it as eye treatment so far.( in humans, Im a nurse) its inflammation rather than infection with pepper. If she would just close her eyes when going through rough ground, and pull her tongue in! its always getting cut. Im trying to keep her out of heather for the next wee while but its hard as were surrounded!
 have a look at these pics it will give you an idea of the type of place I live in. They are views from the croft. peppers right eye still looks sore in these but she is getting better.
http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i141/jeanmurray/spaniels%20in%20the%20heather/

here's a link on colloidal silver for you linky
i make jewellery and use a lot of silver - have endless cuts/nicks on my hand and i reckon that the silver filings really help in super quick healing...never get infected cuts

ps so envious of where you live, it looks beautiful ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline *jean*

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2006, 11:23:49 PM »
Helen you will have to book a holiday at highland glen chalets up at inchcape in rogart.  to see it all in person.They are cocker friendly and many col,s have been. then jarvis could meet up with all the rogart cockers... and there are loads! and there are more in golspie brora and helmsdale.
 A friend of mine in Rogart trials his dogs and is doing really well at the moment, Richard Claydon kingcott and norleigh affix. he has just opened kennels and a cattery,( Rolo's one of his line) hes taking in dogs to train as well. Im jealous as Id love to give up nursing and do dogs full time!!
 peppers eyes are back to normal thank goodness. ..until the next time .. :shades:
 ps do you have a webpage for jewellery? it may be pretty up here but its isolated so I do most of my shopping online.. :'(
the nearest decent jeweller is in tain!! tain silver .. very nice.

Offline MrsMac

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2006, 12:00:11 AM »
Jean I'd seen those kennels advertised in the Raggie, would you recommend them then?  There's brilliant ones in Ardersier but they're always fully booked.  Living up north you have to travel that wee bit further for most things don't you  ;)

I'm thinking for the future, Melody's in season at the moment so no kennels for her just now.
Mairi & Melody
Melody

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2006, 01:31:43 PM »
Helen you will have to book a holiday at highland glen chalets up at inchcape in rogart.  to see it all in person.They are cocker friendly and many col,s have been. then jarvis could meet up with all the rogart cockers... and there are loads! and there are more in golspie brora and helmsdale.
 A friend of mine in Rogart trials his dogs and is doing really well at the moment, Richard Claydon kingcott and norleigh affix. he has just opened kennels and a cattery,( Rolo's one of his line) hes taking in dogs to train as well. Im jealous as Id love to give up nursing and do dogs full time!!
 peppers eyes are back to normal thank goodness. ..until the next time .. :shades:
 ps do you have a webpage for jewellery? it may be pretty up here but its isolated so I do most of my shopping online.. :'(
the nearest decent jeweller is in tain!! tain silver .. very nice.

i will certainly put this in my places 'we' need to go list jean - i would love to meet your crew (and see jarv and rolo together causing choc havoc!) and see all the fab workers in action ;)

have just got off the phone from my *new* website developer as old one has gone awol  :o so will let you know when it's up and running!
helen & jarvis x

Offline *jean*

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2006, 03:48:08 PM »
Jean I'd seen those kennels advertised in the Raggie, would you recommend them then?

yes I believe his kennels are fandabbie dozy , although I havent seen them yet. they live up at banscol up in the heights about 3 miles out of the main village. they are very dog experienced and full now!! Richard is obsessive about clean kennels I know that! also they guarantee 3 walks a day!!!! more than that I dont really know.
 Also theres gairdie kennels at dornoch they are excellent, also I saw kennels near portmahomack they had a spaniel sign dont know what they were called.
 travelling is a pain up here. >:(
 I dont know what the weather is like in inverness but its so hot its miserable here. my patients are all feeling ill and we had someone from "above" checking us out, >:D
 one nurse got so hot she fely sick and vomitted. its all the plastic aprons rubber gloves we have to wear plus working behind screens. :o we are all  looking frazzled so I am glad to be home but now I have to go up to the Oh's mothers to help shift a huge bag of pebbles...landscape gardening type thing.  shes getting rid of borders and putting down stones as the sheep keep eating her plants. then I have to whizz off with pepper to vets to get her eyes checked.  its non stop!!
 Its worse since the kids left  I thought Id get more time!!! Aaaaargh!!! ;)