Author Topic: Freddie's Castration  (Read 975 times)

Offline Donna_Phil

• Site Member
Freddie's Castration
« on: January 12, 2007, 10:11:34 AM »
Well..........

We really thought Mollie was coming in to season and had a wee panic.............as Freddie has not been "snipped" yet.

I rang my vet and they got him in the next day, poor little fella.

He went off ok, left him there for the day and picked him up at night.

He was still very doped up and wobbly on his little pins :luv:

After much cuddles and big kisses off Mollie he seemed to pick up a bit, he did not sleep much throught he night though.

This morning as we are at work I decided to put the buster collar on him to stop licking the wound and my god he did not think much to that, he jsut stood still for about 30 mins and did not dare move..........

Anyway, I have seperated the two dogs so that Mollie cant do his licking for him and Im hoping for the best.

It seems very cruel to put the dog through an operation that he does not really need, but not as cruel as having pups that we jsut could not cope with...

Anyway ill post "feeling sorry for himself" piccies up this afternoon :luv:

Bless his little ballie wallies  :005:

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
Re: Freddie's Castration
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 11:48:19 AM »
Awww Bless Freddie. Can't wait to see the feeling sorry for himself pictures though. I know what you mean about having a non necessary op. We are going to get Sally done about the end of Feb I think (her season was October, anyone know if end of Feb is about the right time) as we really could not cope with pups. Some people have been 'but you could sell them and make money'. Have they any idea the responsibilities involved in having puppies. Both me and my OH work full time jobs and it can be tricky sometimes working it out so the two dogs we have are walked and not left alone for too long. How do people manage to look after a litter unless its a full time job. Sounds like a nightmare to me.  ::)
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 01:19:03 PM »
Don't forget that castration doesn't have an immediate affect on a dog's fertility - it can take a few weeks for it to be fully effective in preventing puppies being produced (there have even been isolated cases of a castrated male impregnating a bitch several months after surgery).

I'm sure Freddie will feel much better in a day or two - dogs bounce back very quickly usually :D
Jane

Offline ali

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 10:28:09 PM »
aww... poor freddie- barkley can sympathise as his mean mummy and daddy sent him for a certain operation of a delicate operation two weeks ago! >:(

happily, after a few days of being very dopey and not enjoying wearing a silly lampshade for a collar, he was back to his old self (if sleeping a bit more than usual) and happily wobbling about the village in his collar, which he soon discovered is a great magnet for getting lots of sympathy hugs from everyone he met. ;)

meanwhile, i was feeling awful for having put him through it all! :( we did it for several reasons and though i know that he will probably grow into a different dog than if we'd left him entire for longer, it does feel like the right decision. and he really is fine now. :)
'my goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks i am'

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 11:22:57 PM »
Louie's due his little op soon, is there a better option than the awful collar, Jasper hated it and I know Lou will be even worse.

In our case we are doing to op as having the two boys I hope it will prevent too many dominance battles, neither are 100% breed standard so I don't think there's any way they should be used for breeding, intentionally or accidently.

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 11:17:20 AM »
Louie's due his little op soon, is there a better option than the awful collar, Jasper hated it and I know Lou will be even worse.

I used the Mikki Hygeine pants for Vegas when he was done.  They covered the wound perfectly and no need for nasty buster collars  ;)
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)