Author Topic: sams eaten a box of chocolates!!!!!!  (Read 2608 times)

Offline Tigger

• Site Member
Re: sams eaten a box of chocolates!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2008, 06:05:00 PM »
Let's be honest: we'd all be really disappointed if they weren't a little naughty some of the time.... :angel:

Elaine & Guinness

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2008, 06:54:14 PM »
Brightsparkler, you are correct it is the cocoa that can be dangerous, so dark chocolate is worse than light chocolate. But I think all dogs react, it is just very different how sensitive thay are to chocolate. Theobromine (a substance in coco) affects the dogs nervous system and circulatory system. The dog may feel nausea, restessness, raised heartrate and other weak symptoms at small amounts of chocolate. More serious signs with higher amount of theobromine.

Offline Maggies Muggles

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2008, 04:40:29 PM »
Over the festive period, Maggie has eaten (at least) 2 Charbonnel & Walker chocolate pieces, 3 scones (complete with cream and strawberry jam), several vegetables from a plate, a brie and cranberry wrapped filo parcel, 2 mini pizzas and half of a packet of doggie peanut butter treats that a relative brought for her from California (funnily enough, it was only the last one - specifically designed for dogs - that gave her an upset stomach).

We need eyes everywhere to keep that dog away from anything edible - generally if it's quiet in the house, Maggie is probably eating something she shouldn't!!

Seriously though, it's something we're concerned about and are getting a trainer back in to help us with this (and a few other little issues...)

Offline jennycockerspaniel

• Donator
  • A.I.O.H Jenny
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2008, 02:07:44 AM »
Jenny at 9 climbed up hoover and eaten a box of chocolate ginger took her to the vet and he said watch her but gave her something to stop her inflamed stomac from the ginger.She has never bothered with chocolate beforeuntil  she was putslimming food She gets 150grames aday and 4tiny eukanuba treats and some veg.
Penny Black Jennys niece

Offline tracyd

• Site Member
  • my lion
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2008, 07:54:12 AM »
i read that  its the coco in chocolate whats bad for dogs , but not all dogs are affected by it ,its a bit like a nut or sea food allergy with humans, and can be deadly.but the risk is still there so i would not give mine chocolate but cockers are little b*****s . before we knew that chocolate was bad for dogs ,many years ago i had a dog that ate kit kats daily with no affect at all. so if he is well in him self dont worry.

Same here we used to feed our dogs chocolate  ph34r and my old lab lived till 16 .  Not that i would now we know the risks but I'm sure many people still do

Offline SarahS

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2008, 01:14:43 PM »
Our dog sneaked upstairs and ate all my daughters easters eggs last year, six of them, mostly large ones!  I was outside gardening. He must have gulped them down at high speed as he had been outside with me not long before. He was taken in for monitoring to begin with and then had his stomach 'pumped' well made to eat nasty things and kept in. I was told that all dogs are allegic to chocolate as there is an enzyme in it which, dogs cannot digest.  So I don't think it is an allergy thing.  We laughed about it afterwards, when he was ok. But needless to say, we are more careful with our chocolate now. Mind you, my husband looked up on the internet all the things dogs are allergic too, and you'd never leave the house!!  Our old dog, bless him was allergic to grass, and once had a fit at Badminton Horse Trials in the long grass (before we had allergy tests). He ended up on steriods, bless him.  You can't plan for that allergy.  Glad your dog's ok.  Tou'd think they'd have dog sense wouldn't you.

Offline *sammy*

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2008, 02:07:44 PM »
well no ill effect what so ever. i was expecting a bit of the runs as he has a sensitive stomach but nothing :D the little monkey :005:

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2008, 03:50:08 PM »
That is good news  :D happy to hear it!

Offline jools

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2008, 04:40:02 PM »
On the humorous side, you have to imagine these little rascals, especially where there is more than one, saying "Right, that's them out of the way, let's go hunting!"

:rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1: Exactly! I imagine Bramble leading the way and Poppy being there for back up  :005:

Glad sam is ok.
With love from Julie, Bramble Poppy and Coco xxx

Offline floydlennon

• Site Member
  • floyd lennon
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2008, 12:31:51 AM »
we were the same tears ago we had a springer who used to get a small bar of white chocolate or a milky way every night from the ice cream van never knew it could hurt her