Author Topic: Post spaying advice  (Read 842 times)

Offline Spaniel Ears

Post spaying advice
« on: November 25, 2008, 09:15:34 PM »
Roxy is being spayed tomorrow.  I know that she won't be able to jump for a while and that I will have to keep her calm.  She sleeps on my bed at night and I am wondering if it will be ok for her to sleep on there tomorrow night?  She generally doesn't jump down during the night, but do you think it would be too much of a risk on the first night?

Offline bracken

• Site Member
Re: Post spaying advice
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 09:25:32 PM »
hope all goes well tomorrow  :luv: To be honest she will be very sleepy so probably would not relise if she slept on the floor beside you. If she was to wake would she try and jump up on the bed ? I must admit I didn't get much sleep the first week as I was awake at the slightest move. I'm an over protective mummy :005:
My Rosie slept on her bed at my side but thankfully she is so small could not jump on the bed. I would keep your door closed too so she can't go near the stairs for a few weeks. I ended up carrying mine up and down at night,then blocking the stairs during the day  :blink:
Jo

Offline Spaniel Ears

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 09:49:47 PM »
hope all goes well tomorrow  :luv: To be honest she will be very sleepy so probably would not relise if she slept on the floor beside you. If she was to wake would she try and jump up on the bed ? I must admit I didn't get much sleep the first week as I was awake at the slightest move. I'm an over protective mummy :005:
My Rosie slept on her bed at my side but thankfully she is so small could not jump on the bed. I would keep your door closed too so she can't go near the stairs for a few weeks. I ended up carrying mine up and down at night,then blocking the stairs during the day  :blink:
Jo

Thanks for the good wishes Jo.  I have thought about putting her in her bed next to mine, but if she woke and had the energy, she would try to jump up.  She might not make it and that would be even worse.  I did think about putting the pillows from the spare bed on one side of her and me on the other and then she can't jump off.  I thought she would be pretty drowsy.  I think I will be awake at the slightest move from her, as I am a big worrier also.  Otherwise I might sleep on the sofa with her in her bed beside me.  That might be a safer move for the first night.......then if I can't sleep I will at least be closer to the kettle  ;).

I will be getting the stair gate out of the cupboard tomorrow and putting it back up for a few weeks.  I also plan to carry her up and down the stairs at bedtime / morning as I still want her near me at night. 

Offline Angels of Fur

• Alfie and Honey
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 10:28:58 AM »
Hiya, when we had honey spayed, the first night (she was sooooo sleepy) i left her in a crate and just kept checking on her.
We had Alfie and Honey done at the same time, so double the trouble!!
Alfie slept on his pillow (as usual) at the side of the bed with Honey sleeping next to him in her crate - kept it that way for few days and then Honey came up onto the bed with us and Alfie followed, i was worried about kicking her but it was fine.
I too am an over protective mummy and get up at the slightest noise so i was ready to carry Honey up and down the stairs!!
Looking back it was alot easier than i expected !!
My life is now complete.......cockers are my life

Offline Spaniel Ears

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 11:39:33 AM »
It's comforting to know that it was easier than expected. 

Roxy is at the vets now and I can't sit still.  So far I have mended a tap (yes, a girl that does DIY), sorted out the shower and had a sort out in the spare bedroom.  Off to Tesco now to get Roxy some nice fish for the next day or so, the ingredients to make Christmas puddings and buy Mamamia on DVD.  It's on special for this week and I figured it would be good to watch once I get her home and she sleeps.

I have to call 2pm to see how she is and it can't come fast enough. 

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 03:14:59 PM »
How is Roxy after her op ?

Offline woodlander

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 03:28:26 PM »
Hello Roxy - Sweep here.  I hope that you are not feeling too bad after having your op.  I had it done last friday  ph34r.  I was a bit sleepy when I got home but Mum  gave me some nice chicken and rice as a special treat I was quite hungry.

In the evening I just laid down in the lounge and went to sleep then Mum & Dad carried me upstairs and put me in my travel crate but I cried so they put me up on the bed with then for me sleeps :shades:  During teh night I was a bit restless and I started licking my stitches so they had to put that horrid lampshade thing on  >:D >:D

However as I was still quite sleepy it was ok.  The next morning Mum & Dad couldn't keep their eyes open! and I just lay in my basket chillin'  I livened up a bit in the afternoon and by sunday definitely back to normal.  Still on lead only walks  >:( >:( but they is got another thing coming if they thinks they is going to stop me jumping up on the sofa :005: :005:  I have been very good and not licked my stitches no more and the vet lady said at my check up on monday that I was doing fine.  Stitches come out next week

Today I am going to spend the day with my new best friend Lenny (Boarder terrier) at doggy day care but still on the lead for walks   >:(

All in all Roxy its not toooooo bad just give them "that" look with those big eyes and they will do anything to make you feel better  :005: :005:

Offline Spaniel Ears

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 04:11:46 PM »
How is Roxy after her op ?

The vets say it all went normally and I was able to collect her just after 2pm  :D.  She has just been asleep in her bed since i got her home.  She is really drowsy and apart from a tiny burst of tail wagging when she first saw me, she's just been really out of it.  She woke up just now and had a bit of a whimper.  Is this normal?  I just settled her down again and tucked her blanket around her and she seems to be ok now.

I have decided I am going to put her in her own bed tonight beside me.  She just wants her bed now (all covered up of course in snuggly blanket) and I am sure she will be fine in it tonight. 

Roxy says big thanks to Sweep for the great advice.  She would reply to you, but she can't quite make it to the computer right now.  But she will certainly take on the advice about spaniel eyes getting her all she wants  :luv:.  She is hoping to avoid the lampshade and stick with a t-shirt.  The stitches are covered right now, so that's good.

I think I will have a sleepless night, but they are just so worth it aren't they.   :luv:

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 04:51:40 PM »
So pleased she is home with you  :luv: Both my girls were very sleepy the first night, I dont think they even had a wee. She may whimper a little,my Rosie did it makes you feel really guilty does'nt it.
Did the vet give you painkiller for tomorrow ?
Hopefully she will feel like a bit of breakfast in the morning  :luv:
My Rosie had a bandage for a few days too,we popped her little pink t-shirt on a she was great,she hardly licked at all.
Lots of cocker cuddles I think  :luv: bless her she will soon bounce back. In 48 hours she will have you on your toes  :luv: :005:
Jo x

Offline Spaniel Ears

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 05:42:19 PM »
Thanks so much for your help Jo.  You do feel really guilty seeing them like this.  It's just such a shock to the normal 90 miles an hour that they go at.  I think Roxy will be like your Rosie and I don't think he has any plans of going outside for a wee.  She hasn't left her bed. and she hardly has the energy to move.   Just whimpers for a kiss and cuddle  every now and then :luv: :luv:...and of course she is getting lots.

They didn't give me pain killers as they said the jab will last for 24 - 48 hrs and after that she should be fine.  But I have some rimadhyl (sp?) from a few weeks back and they said that if I think she needs them, then to call and talk to a vet and then I can use those.  Hopefully she will just bounce back as you say and then I will be wanting her to slow down again.  :005:

Thanks again. 
Sarah