Author Topic: 2nd Innoculation and Microchipped  (Read 1456 times)

Offline poppy

• Donator
  • Betsy b 17/05/2011
2nd Innoculation and Microchipped
« on: July 06, 2011, 09:20:06 AM »
I've checked with my Vet the prices of getting Betsy microchipped.  It is usually £20 with the RSPCA, but if I have it with another treatment, eg, 2nd Innoculation it will be £12 and £27 for the second innoculation.

Can I have Betsy microchipped and have her 2nd innoculation at the same time?
Lots of love ... Lizzie
Micka 17/03/1996-12/07/2011 Sleep my darling baby

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
Re: 2nd Innoculation and Microchipped
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 09:23:03 AM »
YES, I did with both of mine and it worked out cheaper that way ;)
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline poppy

• Donator
  • Betsy b 17/05/2011
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 09:28:13 AM »
YES, I did with both of mine and it worked out cheaper that way ;)

Thanks very much for your reply.  I would prefer to have both done at the same time, so I don't freak her out having to go to the Vets twice as opposed to the one visit. :clapping::banana:

Lots of love ... Lizzie

Offline ellieb

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 09:43:24 AM »
My vet advised not to have my puppy done until she was around 6 months as its a fairly big needle.... having had my foal done last year and seen the size of it and the reaction she gave  I think i am better of waiting a while  :-\

Offline choccietoby

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 09:49:22 AM »
Toby was microchipped at the same time as the 2nd injection, he didnt even notice as the vet was giving him treats at the same time  :lol2:

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 09:50:01 AM »
My vet refused to do the two at the same time as its a big needle and it would be very traumatic. We went back a while later for the chip  :-\ In between we made many puppy check appointments for her to be weighed and wormed etc so she had lots of visits that weren't as scary

Offline Juno

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 10:24:26 AM »
Juno had her second jab and chip at the same visit.  She grumbled but she's generally quite noisy anyway and she wasn't distressed.  No noticeable side effects afterwards.

Agree with Danni that if possible you should try to visit the vets frequently while she's a pup just for a 'hello'/a weigh in/a chat/a cuddle and maybe a treat if she's lucky ;)  I've been in loads with Juno and she always hops through the door with her tail wagging!

Offline Pauline T

• Charlie Boy
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 10:27:47 AM »
Toby was microchipped at the same time as the 2nd injection, he didnt even notice as the vet was giving him treats at the same time  :lol2:

Same here and Charlie didn't even notice.
Pauline & Charlie xx
A dog can say more with a quick wag of his tail than many people who talk for hours. - Louis Armstrong

Offline Goggins

• Donator
  • Princess "Freya" Trucker (dob:25/03/2011)
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 11:27:19 AM »
My vet also gave her treats for the injections and chip and thankfully she didnt seem to feel a thing!!!
Carol owned and loved by Freya (my gorgeous cocker spaniel), Thor (boxer) and Merlin (border collie)

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 04:29:04 PM »
My vet advised not to have my puppy done until she was around 6 months as its a fairly big needle.... having had my foal done last year and seen the size of it and the reaction she gave  I think i am better of waiting a while  :-\
It is a big needle and to be honest left a noticeable cut in his/her skin but he didn't seem to notice after the initial 'prick' so to speak, as Microchipping puppies before they are homed is now advised and may well become necessary for registration I think your Vet may have to change his opinion. Most reputable breeders now microchip before pups leave for their new homes ;)
See here
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/petshealth/6988691/All-puppies-to-be-microchipped-according-to-new-recommendations-to-Defra.html
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 05:16:20 PM »
I had Jarvis microchipped at second jab and it wasn't the needle that bothered him or me - it's the fact that a lot of chips when done in young pups 'travel' (probably something to do with the amount of spare skin they have!)

His has migrated to his side so it's easily missed when he's scanned and i should really get it removed and re-done  :-\

helen & jarvis x

Offline Nicky

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 05:28:17 PM »
Both of mine had their microchip at the same time as their second vaccinations and suffered no side effects.

Alot of reputable breeders are now chipping their pups before they leave to their new homes.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 05:32:50 PM »
William was microchipped at about 8 or 9 months old and his has gradually migrated down his left shoulder and into his left armpit. It's been there for a couple of years now so I think it's stopped moving at last.

Louis was microchipped at about 3 or 4 months and as far as I know his has stayed in the right place.

Whatever you decide, the advice given about getting Betsy used to visiting the vet and thinking it's a nice experience is good advice. Take her in to be weighed, fussed by the receptionists or nurses, anything really that helps her to feel calm and confident there.

Another thing that's really useful is getting her used to being examined and touched all over right from day one. Spend a few seconds a couple of times a day gently lifting her ears and looking into them, touching and lifting her paws one by one, feeling her all over, including her head, tail and tummy with gentle praise and rewards. You can also get her used to having her teeth looked at by gently opening her mouth just a little at first, then a bit more, saying something like "teeth" when she opens her mouth so that it becomes a command that she understands.

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 06:19:03 PM »
My Vizsla was microchipped at 7 weeks by the breeder, it hasn't migrated, and I'm sure he has no recollection of the whole event.
Lillie - cocker - was chipped at 5 months by the owner of the dog training school I used, the chip has not moved, but she was left with a fear of strangers trying to stroke her for a good few months after that.
Teva - cocker - was chipped at 8 months by my vet, no ill effects at the time, but for the next few days was very grumpy at being touched around her shoulders and neck, she was obviously in alot of pain :'(

Elaine.e advice about geting your dog used to being examined all over, on a regular basis is really good ;)

Offline poppy

• Donator
  • Betsy b 17/05/2011
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 06:26:22 PM »
Many thanks to everyone that has posted on here.  I really appreciate your views.  I will take her to the Vets quite often just to get her used to it and to make her feel comfortable.

I will take onboard what elaine.e says about examining Betsy on a daily basis, so she is not afraid of being examined.

Thanks once again.
Lots of love ... Lizzie