Author Topic: William & Louis emergency vet visit - update p.5 - neighbour has part paid  (Read 7625 times)

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Last night both dogs were out in the garden for longer than usual so I went out with my torch to investigate and found Louis with a peanut butter jar in his mouth. The jar was almost empty but I could see it had peanut butter mixed with something else in it so immediately went to see my neighbour. He is a dog owner too, but has been putting a type of rat bait down, mixed with peanut butter :o

He confirmed he'd put the peanut butter jar, with EradiBait and peanut butter in it, in a rat hole in his garden, wedged in with bricks to stop his dog Molly getting to it. He also said Molly had eaten some a few months ago and had been made to vomit by the vet and had been fine. He contacted the manufacturer afterwards and they'd confirmed it contained no toxins.

He gave me the EradiBait container. The labelling clearly says to keep the product away from dogs and cats and to make sure they don't eat it or eat rats killed by it. I wasn't taking any chances so phoned the vet and took William and Louis and the EradiBait container there immediately. Both dogs were made to vomit and it was obvious that William had eaten a lot of the stuff and Louis little or nothing. My vet phoned the National Poisons Unit for advice. EradiBait is made from maize starch so isn't toxic, but kills the rats by blocking their digestive system so they can't eat. If eaten in a large enough quantity it can do the same to dogs and cats, possibly requiring surgery.

After paying a vet bill of £283 :o I came home with 2 unhappy dogs. Louis curled up for a while then ate some scrambled egg and drank some water at about midnight. William was feeling very sorry for himself and wouldn't eat or drink. I eventually persuaded him to lick some yogurt off a spoon and have a few sips of water. Thankfully they're both back to normal this morning :D

I was very polite to my neighbour when I updated him and asked him not to put any bait down near the fence between our gardens. He didn't even have the decency to say sorry >:(

My wonderful friend Maria (rubydoo) went to the vets with me last night and comforted a puking Louis while I did the same for William. Thanks yet again Maria :-*

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Re: William & Louis OK after emergency vet visit last night
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 08:35:21 AM »
Glad they are ok, I'd be fuming at the neighbour. Well done on your restraint.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 08:40:44 AM »
Glad they are okay, a very expensive experience. It might be worth you putting some mesh/ chicken wire under your hedge.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline Vicki

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 08:41:15 AM »
Oh my goodness, that's awful!  :o

Poor dogs and poor you. Did you work out how the jar got from his garden in to yours?

:bigarmhug:

Offline LottieLu

• Maisie ♡
    • Working Glass Jewellery
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 08:47:41 AM »
Elaine, I'm so glad they are both okay. It sounds like you managed to keep such a calm head but you must feel completely drained today, and poor William and Louis. Not sure I would have managed to be so level headed  :'(. A big well done to you I think  :clapping:  

As to the neighbour, well words fail me. Irresponsible beyond belief. It's all very well shoving it down a hole with bricks, but for goodness sake, foxes and badgers are expert diggers. The chances of being dislodged and moved were so great as to make it madness to do.

Offline Darwin

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 08:49:49 AM »
 :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
OMG How horrible.
Hope William and Louis are OK today
I think I would be more than fuming  >:D >:D and would be expecting the neighbour to pay the vets bill

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 08:50:52 AM »
unbelievable  ph34r

so sorry you had to go through this - thank doG that William and Louis have such a level headed mum - I would have been beside myself and I think I would be at this moment sat on said neighbour force feeding him a bucket of  Eradibait  ph34r

Rubydoo is indeed a wonderful friend and support  :luv: (not to mention very funny too  :lol2: )
helen & jarvis x

Offline SandraD

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 08:55:21 AM »
unbelievable  ph34r

so sorry you had to go through this - thank doG that William and Louis have such a level headed mum - I would have been beside myself and I think I would be at this moment sat on said neighbour force feeding him a bucket of  Eradibait  ph34r

Rubydoo is indeed a wonderful friend and support  :luv: (not to mention very funny too  :lol2: )

Agree 100% with Helen's post.  What animal owner in their right mind would put rat poison down in their garden?  Beggers belief.

So sorry the boys had to go through their ordeal last night, but pleased they are back to their normal happy selves this morning.

Offline luckypenny

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 09:00:27 AM »
unbelievable  ph34r

Agree 100% with Helen's post.  What animal owner in their right mind would put rat poison down in their garden?  Beggers belief.

So sorry the boys had to go through their ordeal last night, but pleased they are back to their normal happy selves this morning.

>:D >:D. Your neighbour must be a half wit - what if you'd had  a child visiting and they'd put their hand through and lifted it. The fact they have a dog too beggars belief. Thank goodness you spotted Louis with the jar - if they'd been left overnight with no treatment it might have been much worse.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 09:00:56 AM »
Did you work out how the jar got from his garden in to yours?

The rat hole (one of several, we have a real problem at the moment) goes under the wood panel fence between the gardens. I think either the rats moved it or possibly William could smell his favourite treat of peanut butter and did some digging. I'll be out there investigating later.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 09:09:07 AM »
unbelievable  ph34r

I was beside myself, and I'm usually very good at panicking and then not being able to think straight, but because it was my boys I had to push the emotions aside and focus on them.

Rubydoo is definitely a wonderful friend. When I phoned her she dropped everything, drove down the A36 at speed and was with me in under 5 minutes. What she would like to have done to my neighbour last night is probably worse than force feeding him EradiBait and would involve stringing him up by certain parts of his anatomy :005:

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 09:12:02 AM »

I was beside myself, and I'm usually very good at panicking and then not being able to think straight, but because it was my boys I had to push the emotions aside and focus on them.

Rubydoo is definitely a wonderful friend. When I phoned her she dropped everything, drove down the A36 at speed and was with me in under 5 minutes. What she would like to have done to my neighbour last night is probably worse than force feeding him EradiBait and would involve stringing him up by certain parts of his anatomy :005:

I bet you were Elaine - how frightening  :-\

:lol2:  good to see Maria is on form  ;)  Maybe we could combine forces and do the stringing up and the forcefeeding  ph34r
helen & jarvis x

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 09:27:27 AM »
Dear Dog :o  I'd have went into panic mode too ph34r  So pleased William and Louis OK but I too can't believe to sheer stupidity of your  >:D neighbour especially as he'd had a similar incident himself!  I'd have been livid with him >:(  Gentle hugs coming your way for them  :bigarmhug:  You are very lucky to have such a great friend too :luv:
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 09:36:58 AM »
What a pillock!
So glad to read that William and
Louis are ok :D
steffxxx

Offline SJP

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 09:37:23 AM »
Hmmm....perhaps you should present your neighbour with the vet bill and ask for a substantial contribution   >:D
Sally & Lola xxx