Author Topic: poor liath needs your positive thoughts..  (Read 14274 times)

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
poor liath needs your positive thoughts..
« on: April 19, 2012, 07:05:27 PM »
yesterday afternoon I was making myself a meat sandwich, id given all 4 dogs a piece of left over meat as I was making it and all of a sudden a scrap broke out at my feet. when i looked down it was liath and pepper who never scrap normally but liath is getting very doo lally and I guess she just stuck into who ever was between her and what she thought was on the ground. so I pulled pepper off liath, liath walked off and I noticed her eye was hanging out! I nearly died .. flat panic!! got the others in a crate got her on her own phoned for help and the vets and within half an hour liath was in surgery. the vet has tried to save her eye but hes not too hopeful. he says she has a one in 4 chance and as its so swollen if it didnt go down he may have to take the eye out today. I took her home , they wanted to keep her in but she wasnt on a drip and I knew she would settle better at home and I could stop her rubbing it. I put a collar on her as she is at it every chance she gets. so I slept on the couch last night with her beside me.cora has gone with my daughter ( as she is the noisy one) and the other 2 are here and my daughters partner is calling in later to take them out for a walk.
It all happened so suddenly. I feel sick. Its strange how old age can make them so short in the grain, theyve been together since pups and been super. they are so close normally.
shes drank some water and peed this morning and peed again this afternoon still no pooh.. if all goes well her stitches stay in for a week her eye has been stitched closed and when they take stitches out they will know if eye is ok or has to be removed. so positive thoughts guys as shes nearly 13 and I dont want her to have to go through another op.

latest news from vets.. shes on anti inflammatory pain killers and antibiotics, shes to rest for 24 hrs then to go in fasted tomorrow ( fri) at 9 am for the vet to assess her eye. he may remove it tomorrow or he will leave until wed and re assess. it doesnt look good TBH I think he should just have taken it away at the time given her age and the amount of swelling and bleeding. but hey ho she has a very slim chance of keeping it but shes pretty blind anyway shes got cataracts so it wont stress her too much losing it. the vet i go to knew going in that she had a very slim chance but even with her poor eyesight and age he didnt remove it. then he wanted to keep her in for a week! (he says to keep her quiet) but possibly still then probably take it out, anyway. I think shes better off here with me she wasnt on a drip and there is no overnight vet . they just pop in later on and if they are on a call out have a look and you get charged per visit. liath would have been stressed in a crate in the vets and would have damaged her eye further so not only is she being better cared for its a damn sight cheaper. Im with her 24/7 shes confined to a small area of the living room the other 2 dogs are separate and she is sleeping peacefully most of the time.
shes sleeping just now as I type.. am so stressed. keep seeing liath looking like something out of a horror film. was worst nightmare come true as I hate eyes.
poor lil lee, she looks like shes been hit by a truck! I want my pretty wee girl back!! shes so girlie and if she was a human would be always in pink!! peppers the tomboy!
ps all the rest are grand, dont think for one moment pepper meant to hurt liath, she just did what dogs do at times. they were like 2 grannys bashing each other with handbags.. it just was unlucky that lee got caught in the eye.
the swelling altho still evident has gone down, id give her arnica but I dont know how much or if I can get it locally as I cant leave her for long. she is so calm when im about. shes lucky as ive knackered my shoulder and am off work so can give her one to one nursing care.. beat that vets! ( out vets is a country vets covering the whole county of sutherland geographically one of the biggest in the country.. there is no way they would be able to supervise her like I am. Its lambing and calving time.. theres never a vet about! she was so lucky yesterday as the vet was just on his way home! we just caught him ( and missed a call out charge!)
so pos vibes folks we need them xxxx

Offline LinziS

• Erin
Re: poor liath needs your positive thoughts..
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 07:10:42 PM »
oh poor liath and poor you....you must have got an awful shock when this happened....will be praying for your girl and lots of :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: coming your way

My dogs are heartbeats at my feet

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 07:11:06 PM »
Oh dear what an ordeal you have both had, I would have been in a complete flap if that had happened to one of mine :'(. I hope she recovers quickly with or without her eye bless her  :bigarmhug: to you and Liath :luv:
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline Ian Wright

• Grace
    • Cages
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 07:12:35 PM »
so sorry paws crosses here  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Ian and Grace
Amazing Grace Jalankiu    5/9/2009 18/5/2022

Offline coopersmum

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 07:22:12 PM »
Poor Liath and poor you!!! All our positive vibes coming your way :) I think she is probably much better off and far less stressed at home with you. Prolapsed eyeballs are not the nicest thing to see especially if its your dogs eye! Fingers crossed all goes well and gentle cuddles for your girl :) 

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 07:23:41 PM »
OMG Jean, that sounds horrific  :o  It just shows how quickly these things can happen.  :-\ At least you were there though and got help for her quickly so hopefully she will make a good recovery.  If you have got some arnica it might be an idea to try and get some into her - would be helpful for the swelling and trauma to her eye  ;)

I hope things go well at the vet tomorrow - will be checking for news  ;)

Sending healing thoughts for Liath from here and hugs for you too :bigarmhug:
Julie and Watson

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 07:26:29 PM »
Oh sweetheart what a shock for you and little Liath  :o :o I'm sending you both loads of these  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:'s and positive thoughts for your little girl  :luv: :luv: :luv: x x x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline HelenS

• Donator
  • Cupar
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 07:26:56 PM »
Oh gosh what a thing to happen. What a shock you must have got.
Sending positive healing thoughts for Liath and  :bigarmhug: for you.
IMO sounds like you are giving much better care than Liath would have got staying at the vet. Nothing better than being in your own surroundings to help the healing process. Youre giving 24hr care and doing a great job  :blink:

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 07:34:44 PM »
That sounds horrific.....for both of you  :'(

She is in good hands being looked after by her mum  :luv: and i hope she has a speedy recovery whatever the out come is tomorrow.

:bigarmhug: for you both.
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline LottieLu

• Maisie ♡
    • Working Glass Jewellery
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 07:42:58 PM »
Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry  :'(. You must be in complete shock. Take care and all fingers crossed for your little girly  :bigarmhug:

Offline luckypenny

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 07:48:00 PM »
OMG - hope she is ok.

Offline dizzytrish

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 07:48:27 PM »
God, I hate anything to do with eyes :fear2:
cant even go to the optician for the yearly check up!
take care of your shoulder, and gentle sguidgy hugs for little Liath :bigarmhug:

Offline HeatherandBenjy

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 07:50:59 PM »
We'll be sending positive thoughts for tomorrow and for Liath's speedy recovery (whatever the decision is tomorrow)

I'm sure she's coping far better being at home and nursed by you.

:bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
Heather, Buddy, Archie, Fizzy, Bruno and Amber!

Offline KellyT

• Hazel, Jennie & Millie - the 3 Muskaspaniels
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 07:57:41 PM »
   :o :o
Gosh what a shock for you!
Poor Liath  :'(
Big hugs for you both... I hope the vets goes well tomorrow x
Kelly & the 3 muskaspaniels x

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 08:00:19 PM »
What a shock for you both...positive thoughts to you.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010