Author Topic: Unscheduled visit to the vet - "trapped gas"  (Read 4977 times)

Offline Petepreston

Unscheduled visit to the vet - "trapped gas"
« on: July 18, 2012, 05:01:54 PM »
Posie started vomiting white foam this morning and after an hour or so with no signs of it easing I called the vet. They couldn't see her until late afternoon but I could be seen by one of the other branches out of town, so I drove us out there. The vet said she could feel an obstruction in the abdomen and wanted an X-ray, which meant a trip to another out of town surgery. They got the pictures and diagnosed "most likely gas trapped in the colon". Basically a "fart waiting to happen" was the diagnosis. She's had a mild sedative and has some pills to take for the next day or two and were to get in touch if she doesn't get better or gets worse.

As with every instance of a poorly puppy, it was worrying and stressful, but reassuring to know that the vets we use have 5 practices within 20 minutes drive of our house and as they share the same computer system they have her records to hand. I don't think either of us could've managed the extra 3 hours wait for the appointment time and I doubt we'd have got the results today if it had been much later and needed the X-rays. Or more likely, we'd have been into out-of-hours rates. As it is it's cost us £360 for consultation, two X-rays, one ultrasound scan, one injection and a couple of pills.

Of course, I'd rather pay that than wait to see how it panned out naturally. The likely explanation is that Posie has eaten something that has fermented in her gut, and I can't help but think that giving her pizza crust might be the cause. No more treats for this little mooch.

She's now sleeping on the sofa, alternating between sleeping on a sofa to herself and sharing mine. She has a twitchy tummy which I'm putting down to contractions trying to shift the gas. The real proof will come later when we get the gas-off. Despite not looking forward to the smell, I am looking forward to my little girl being back on form.

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
Re: Unscheduled visit to the vet - "trapped gas"
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 05:10:54 PM »
Poor little Posie   :016: Lets hope the 'problem' soon finds it's way out into the open and gives instant relief - clothes pegs at the ready  ;)  :luv:

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 05:29:54 PM »
Poor Posie. i hope she is gas free soon  :013: ;)
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 06:01:38 PM »
My two eat pizza crusts every time we have one with no ill effects x
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 06:42:04 PM »
Poor Posie, hope things move along soon! Scary day for you.

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 06:56:48 PM »
Awww bless her poor little posie big  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:'s for her and much love too  :luv: :luv: x x x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline Mrs JT

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 07:11:41 PM »
Awwwww. Hope she is better soon  :luv: :luv:

Offline HeatherandBenjy

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 08:19:22 PM »
:bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Its really scary when that kind of thing happens. You're right to have taken action, in extreme cases this can lead to bloat (where the intestine twists) - its more common in larger, deep chested dogs but you don't want to risk it.

Benjy, our springer used to have this and occasionally Buddy does now (usually if he's gulped his dinner in a nano-second :annoyed: )

Things that helped when Benjy got like this were gently massaging his tummy, firmly patting his back (think winding a baby, you're aiming for the same effect in your dog!) or walking him (as the walking action helps to release the gas). Benjy used to get really panicky and then gulp, which of course made things worse. However, as soon as he'd burped or farted :ph34r: he'd settle immediately.

Hope that Posie feels a lot better this evening.. and that it was a one off! :)
Heather, Buddy, Archie, Fizzy, Bruno and Amber!

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 08:23:18 PM »
Blimey, that sounds scary - never heard of that before  :o  Do you think it might help to gently massage her tum (with the windows open obviously  ;) )

Hope nature takes it's course soon and she is back to her normal self again soon.  :-\

In the meantime, no naked flames  ph34r :005:
Julie and Watson

Offline Petepreston

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 09:30:00 PM »
I had thought about massaging her tummy but as he vet hadn't said t do anything in articulate I haven't done it.

She's been lying almost still for hours now and the only movement us her breathing and occasional thumping heart - honestly, you can see her chest thumping. We've seen a bit of tail wagging but little more than that. She's mostly wide awake but looking very sorry for herself, as you can imagine. We're just holding her, stroking her gently and talking to her quietly.

What's a bit worrying at the moment is that she's not wanting to drink, and even a wet finger placed under her lips isn't tempting her. The vet gave us Zantac to give her but as she's not even drinking I've no idea how I'm going to get her to take it.

When I say "a bit worrying", I'm sure you all know just how much understatement that is. At this point I can't see us getting through the night without more problems and a call to the vet. But fingers crossed...

Thanks for the advice and support.  :D

Offline aljeana

• Mollie Magpie
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 10:23:21 PM »
Oh I really feel for you I have a young cocker Jodie who is prone to bloat due to other medical conditions that have effected her digestive system.

Food fermation is a problem and can cause gas but also bad bacteria in the gut can do it & yes they need to pass the wind that is causing all the discomfort.

We get Jodie stand on her back feet rest her front feet on our knees and pat her gently the streching action of her standing usually helps to expell some wind.  If to uncomfortable to stand up on back feet then massage and pat tummy. Jodie will burp now by just getting her to stand up and lean against me.

As for Zantac they used to give it me in liquid form and we use a small syringe, sometimes Jodie can be bloated all day and looks twice her size and then it all disapears, try not to worry too much.

Aljeana & the Baddley Pack

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 10:33:13 PM »
put 1/2 a zantac in a tiny bit of cheese - she should take it like that.  It will help ease her tummy so worth getting it into her  ;)  I would also try and get fluids into her as dehydration won't help her.  Is there any way you can syringe some water into her mouth?
helen & jarvis x

Offline HeatherandBenjy

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 10:41:19 PM »
I had thought about massaging her tummy but as he vet hadn't said t do anything in articulate I haven't done it.

She's been lying almost still for hours now and the only movement us her breathing and occasional thumping heart - honestly, you can see her chest thumping. We've seen a bit of tail wagging but little more than that. She's mostly wide awake but looking very sorry for herself, as you can imagine. We're just holding her, stroking her gently and talking to her quietly.

What's a bit worrying at the moment is that she's not wanting to drink, and even a wet finger placed under her lips isn't tempting her. The vet gave us Zantac to give her but as she's not even drinking I've no idea how I'm going to get her to take it.

When I say "a bit worrying", I'm sure you all know just how much understatement that is. At this point I can't see us getting through the night without more problems and a call to the vet. But fingers crossed...

Thanks for the advice and support.  :D

As Helen said, 1/2 zantac in a tiny bit of cheese. You really do need to ease off the pressure in her tum. If you can syringe some fluids in that will help too. I personally would be massaging her tum - but it given that it is now several hours you may want to call the vet anyway. Essentially you need to find a way to release that gas, be it by zantac, massage, walking or whatever.

If you're at all worried, please call the vet sooner rather than later. I'm certain they would prefer a slightly anxious call now to an emergency later on.  :bigarmhug:

Will be thinking of you and Posie :bigarmhug:
Heather, Buddy, Archie, Fizzy, Bruno and Amber!

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 10:59:12 PM »
Thinking of you at this worrying time. Hope your babe is better soon. Xxx
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline maddy74

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 11:20:06 PM »
Poor Posie and what a worry for you. I hope she is soon better. Big hugs from us  :bigarmhug: