Author Topic: Training the hold  (Read 4290 times)

Offline Millomite

• Amber (CS), Brook (Lab) & Fern (CS)
    • Amberquest Gundogs
Training the hold
« on: November 23, 2006, 03:08:23 PM »
Hi All

I was wondering how you guys go about training the hold command. My current dog will retrieve anything for me but he tends to drop things before I take them from him. Any advice?

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
Re: Training the hold
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 03:21:10 PM »
For Storm (cocker) I sat on the floor and encouraged her to jump into my lap (whilst still holding the toy).  Then I could play a little game of give and take with her.  You could add a 'hand' command here...is that the correct gundog terminology?  I then progressed to her sitting in front of me...giving her the toy and asking her to hold...when she took it...good hold...then give (swop for sweetie).

The collie I taught the obedience present first.

I started by throwing the toy our (ballon rope) and got her to bring it back.  As she got nearer I told her I wanted to play tug, and reached for the rope (make sure it is in a small area so they cant run away).  She soon realized tug was a fun game,and so wanted me to get hold of the toy. 

I then progressed to standing upright, throwing the toy out,and asking her to 'present'.  Initially she dropped the toy before presenting, but I just ignored her or pointed at the toy and asked her to hold.  Then when she had a hold of the toy asked for the present.  When she sat and presented...she was rewarded with a game of tug (followed by a sweetie,and the toy being thrown again).  She's a little monkey, so I worked hard on keeping her head up (so she wouldnt drop the toy)

There are soooo many ways to teach the hold.  Some people teach it seperate...some all together.  I have seen the 'forced' hold being 'taught' to many young dogs.  It depends what works for you,and your dog? 

It took my collie about 8 months to learn the retrieve properly.  I barely remember teaching it to Storm...it seems she was a natural!

Also...I NEVER kick their toys for them as they soon realize that the effect of a kick is much more exciting than a throw  ;) and so if they want a game...they have to bring the toy to my hand.  ;)

Good Luck  :D

Offline anita96

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 03:56:50 PM »
I did it with the clicker, I am not sure I did it the right way but he does it now with dummies.

I started in the lounge with a tennis ball, as soon as the ball was in his mouth I clicked and treated. Once he was doing this 100% I introduced the word 'hold'.  This is where I think I might go wrong... ball in mouth (dog not me) click, word command 'hold' then treat. Gradually increase the time of the treat from the click this will allow you to ensure that the dog doesn't spit the ball or dummy in anticipation of the treat.  Mocha knows now that no hold no treat and will sit and wait for me to take dummy.  I don't leave it to long as there is little point pushing the dog into getting bored and spitting.  I don't seem to need a word to release my hand under is chin and he releases, although if he doesn't want to let go  a leave it normally works.  Mocha learnt this really quick to be honest a week in the lounge and he was getting the hang of it.  If I send him out for a retrieve in the paddock I do say hold as he is coming in just to remind him not to spit it out. 
Working Cockers aren't mad it's the owners!!!

Offline flozac

• Inactive
  • I must be even madder!!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 11:12:46 PM »
i am currently just encouraging Scouts natural retrieving ability by playing fetch games with a bit of knotted rag or a sock.She really enjoys it. (see her pics on the photoboardhttp://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=23213.0.

On the advice of a certain trainer known well to both of us don't do too much too soon though.
Nicola,Zac,Jess,Floss,Scout,Ciara and baby Reiver

Offline Tupper

• Site Member
  • Martha and Rhiannon
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 05:23:07 PM »
I have had to do this with my lab who kept spitting the dummy out on the return. Basically it took lots and lots of patience! I first got him to hold the dummy in his mouth, I eventually resorted to very gently inserting a dummy into his mouth and then gave the 'hold' command followed by lots of praise when he did this and a gentle telling off if he dropped it. I then introduced the command to drop the dummy 'dead'. Once he had mastered this I moved on to getting him to do short retrieves and repeating the 'hold' command as he approached me and eventually throwing long and unseen retrieves until he got it right every time. I think that the most important things to remember when undertaking any training are: Consistency; Insistence and non-predictability.

Hope this helps

Chris

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 09:05:03 AM »
I tried teaching Willow a hold for ages, then dug my clicker out and her hold is really solid, she will just stand there until I take it. I let Dobbie jump up with a retrieve as thats seems to be the best way to encourage a nice present.

Freya and Cockers Bilbo and Dobbie, not forgetting the Springers Willow and Paddy

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2006, 12:25:18 PM »
I tried teaching Willow a hold for ages, then dug my clicker out and her hold is really solid, she will just stand there until I take it. I let Dobbie jump up with a retrieve as thats seems to be the best way to encourage a nice present.

thanks freya for the dobbie tip - i reckon that'll work well with jarv too ;) :-*
helen & jarvis x

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2006, 02:15:58 PM »

thanks freya for the dobbie tip - i reckon that'll work well with jarv too ;) :-*

It was a top trainer that said that it was fine so long as you don't mind the pawprints, a sit present is only for obedience, Willow stands which is again totally fine even when trialling. Alot of dogs will drop a hold if you try and make them sit so find what suits your dog, not just what the book says. Also don't forget to not snatch the retrieve, with Dobbie I tend to let him jump up, give his chest a wee rub and then take the item - we practice alot in the house with stuffed toys just for fun :D

Freya and Cockers Bilbo and Dobbie, not forgetting the Springers Willow and Paddy

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2006, 06:04:42 PM »

It was a top trainer that said that it was fine so long as you don't mind the pawprints, a sit present is only for obedience, Willow stands which is again totally fine even when trialling. Alot of dogs will drop a hold if you try and make them sit so find what suits your dog, not just what the book says. Also don't forget to not snatch the retrieve, with Dobbie I tend to let him jump up, give his chest a wee rub and then take the item - we practice alot in the house with stuffed toys just for fun :D

thanks again freya, i was racking my brain as to what method would *suit* jarv the best (sorry millomite for hogging the thread  ph34r will back out now!)...we're never going to be 'ft ch'  :005: and this fits in much more with jarv's personality...and what's a few more pawprints between friends :luv:
helen & jarvis x