Author Topic: Help needed - How to prepare game birds?  (Read 10663 times)

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
Re: Help needed - How to prepare game birds?
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2007, 09:19:42 PM »
 :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1: I'm aching I have laughed so much!

The trouble is - it took me to about point 6 before I caught on  ph34r
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2007, 09:40:05 PM »
In my younger days i found the following to be the best way to prepare game birds.....

1.  Arrange table - plates cutlery etc
2.  Fill game bird with appropriate rich stuffing - oysters, asparagus, quince and pine nuts with a drizzle of absinthe.
3.  Soak game bird liberally in fine french wine followed by 5 star brandy and garnish with a single red rose.
4.  Remove extraneous coverings slowly, rushing at this point could result in the bird resembling a grouse.
5.  Heat up slowly, turning and tasting the flesh from time to time to maintain moisture.
6.  After basting with aromatic oils leave to simmer gently for 30 min on a warm feather bed tog 10 to 13.
7.  Stuff with pork sausage repeatedly untill sizzling hot.
8.  Leave on a low heat stirring as required until morning.
9.  Rehydrate with coffee.
10. Repeat step 7 until bird is heard to cry out.
11.  If completely satisfied with the dish obtain the game birds telephone number and arrange a repeat stuffing.

*snooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooort!*  :rofl1: :rofl1:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2007, 09:43:05 PM »
:rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1: I'm aching I have laughed so much!

The trouble is - it took me to about point 6 before I caught on  ph34r

Ditto. But I'm ashamed to say I didn't catch on until the end.  ph34r

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2007, 11:07:34 PM »
im crying laughing.. you idiot!!! :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1:

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2007, 03:45:34 AM »
I do at least some birds every weekend during the season and chicken the rest of the year which I breed myself.

If you do have to pluck them its easy, get a chair (and I'd do this outside) and a black plastic bag sit on chair with bag open like you would a bin around your legs, place the bird upside down with its head in the open bag to catch the feathers.  Pluck from the leg end of the bird to the head (basically grab a load in the hand and pull towards the head in a quick motion) make your way around the bird, don't bother plucking the neck and head or the wings just cut those off with the legs.  To gut it you have to make a slit at the bottom and one at the top near the neck and basically work out everything inside by GENTLY moving your fingers around seperating the insides from the bone.  Try not to split the bowels as it stinks and taints the meat.

Easier way is just to skin it you lose the skin but the feathers all come off in one go and its much quicker than plucking, I'd only pluck if it was for the pot, watch out for shot, lead is poisonous.

Offline Millomite

• Amber (CS), Brook (Lab) & Fern (CS)
    • Amberquest Gundogs
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2007, 03:37:14 PM »
Here's a video of how to do it quickly. Just cut the two breasts off. The rest of the meat is tough

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOOrcIZImmE

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2007, 04:34:48 PM »
In my younger days i found the following to be the best way to prepare game birds.....

1.  Arrange table - plates cutlery etc
2.  Fill game bird with appropriate rich stuffing - oysters, asparagus, quince and pine nuts with a drizzle of absinthe.
3.  Soak game bird liberally in fine french wine followed by 5 star brandy and garnish with a single red rose.
4.  Remove extraneous coverings slowly, rushing at this point could result in the bird resembling a grouse.
5.  Heat up slowly, turning and tasting the flesh from time to time to maintain moisture.
6.  After basting with aromatic oils leave to simmer gently for 30 min on a warm feather bed tog 10 to 13.
7.  Stuff with pork sausage repeatedly untill sizzling hot.
8.  Leave on a low heat stirring as required until morning.
9.  Rehydrate with coffee.
10. Repeat step 7 until bird is heard to cry out.
11.  If completely satisfied with the dish obtain the game birds telephone number and arrange a repeat stuffing.

WAHAHAHAHAHA!  :rofl1:

ROFLMAO - brilliant - I had to re-read it to get it!!!

:005:  :005:  :rofl1: :rofl1:
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2007, 06:04:23 PM »
Lmao at the previous posts  :lol:

Going back to the original, "you will get a bird in return", whats that all about? It'd be rude not to get a brace!  ;)
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2007, 06:06:33 PM »

Going back to the original, "you will get a bird in return", whats that all about? It'd be rude not to get a brace!  ;)

I've only got two - ducks, not pheasants  ph34r
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Wightpaws

• Site Member
  • Wightroche Magical Knight
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2007, 08:58:43 PM »
I could loan you OH, he's been given instructions and training on how to do pheasants and will be doing his 1st bird tomorrow eve by himself, so will keep you informed as to how it goes.  I understand from the guy that should Ian tonight that Ducks are more difficult than pheasants, however he suggested that if you pluck the wings, then work up to the base of the head, leave the head feathered and then pluck down the body to the top of the legs and remove all tail feathers, etc.  Then cut the head, legs and wings off (unless your planning to give any of these parts to Molo then obviously de-feather them), then carefully find the pouch (or at least thats what I think he called it, which is were you should find out what the birds were eating prior to being killed, open this up and clear out completely, do not let Molo eat this area contents), then cut open the rear end of the bird and gently (very gently) put your hand inside and remove the entire contents without splitting anything.  Alternatively you can find the breast bone and then cut carefully all the way down and then remove entire insides that way, then you need to wash the bird completely inside and out and then leave for a day before feeding to Molo or freezing, etc.  He suggested that you do this outside with a very sharp knife, dustbin, newspaper to put the insides into and then wrap all the rubbish into a black bag and tie up and either tip it or put in bin for dustbin people, etc. 

Sorry for being so graphic for those COL's with a delicate nature ph34r,

Hope this helps "Rac Rac"

Cheryl
cheryl, owned by Snops, Rocks, Pebbles and Ruby Roo

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2007, 03:36:02 AM »
there are some good instructions in any Mrs Beetons cook books for those of you that have them on your shelves.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2007, 10:12:16 AM »

:rofl1:  a brace is a 'pair'...of ducks, of pheasant, of partridge....so you do have a brace rachel :lol:
helen & jarvis x

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2007, 12:47:33 PM »

:rofl1:  a brace is a 'pair'...of ducks, of pheasant, of partridge....so you do have a brace rachel :lol:

I thought Kim meant why wasn't I gifting a "brace" in return for help from my neighbour preparing them - I'm not quite that bad, Helen  :005:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2007, 01:19:12 PM »

I thought Kim meant why wasn't I gifting a "brace" in return for help from my neighbour preparing them - I'm not quite that bad, Helen  :005:

probably me not reading right anyway ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2007, 02:07:37 PM »
mabe hes looking for payment in "kind"!!! ;) :D :lol: :005: