Author Topic: End of week 2 - new to doggy world - lacking confidence, venting!  (Read 1347 times)

Offline April Shower

• Donator
Hi, I've been lurking for a while working up the courage to jump in and say hello.  :-\  I've never owned a dog before so it's a completely new world to me and my family - I don't feel we quite belong to this doggy world yet, but we are trying!  I'm married with two adult boys who live with us, and I'm taking a break from work for a few weeks to settle in our new addition, Archie, a choc and tan 9 week old who has been with us 2 weeks (already I've learnt from this forum and other articles that he shouldn't be away from his mum that young ... but it's done now.)  It's a very steep learning curve MUCH harder than I ever imagined....  On the positive side Archie sleeps through the night, loves his crate and has already learnt some good manners for some of the time - sitting when asked, taking food/treats gently and mouthing rather than biting when being held, being cute and affectionate and tail-waggy as he shares the kitchen with us.  His toileting is going okay, he often manages to go when he's in the garden (a coincidence more than anything, as I take him out at regular times).  He's not allowed anywhere other than the kitchen and hall indoors at the moment and we keep him company most of the time he's awake.  On the negative side - and here's where my insecurity and venting starts - he has completely manic sessions at random times each day where he growls and barks and bites at ankles, hands, clothes, anything in his path.  He snarls and races round and round  completely oblivious to anything else and can't be interrupted.  He hasn't had his final jabs yet so I can only take him into the garden on a (retracting) lead where he dashes around eating moss and twigs - so I spend a lot of garden time trying to keep twigs and ivy out of his mouth. I take him out in the street up to our local park (in my arms) each day to get used to seeing traffic and other people.  I do try to keep him occupied at home when he's awake, encouraging his toys, or with very basic clicker training and treats indoors, letting him tug at ropes, chewing a baby Kong etc. and I chat away to him as he sits either in his crate or on his blanket on the floor with a chew toy or whatever.  He plays for half an hour/an hour or so, then sleeps for a couple of hours, and so on with that pattern throughout the day until about 11 at night and he often sleeps through to 6am - I assume he's getting a reasonable balance of wake time and sleep time, altho I sometimes think he gets overtired, red-eyed and crabby. My younger son (age 22) spends time with Archie playing, trotting up and down the garden trying to distract him from twigs etc., but when my older son tries to interact, Archie goes straight into hyper mode and this son gets so disappointed and actually quite frightened of our growing ball of fur and teeth!  I know two weeks is no time at all, but I'm tired and disheartened by the constant demands of looking after him - watching out for toileting signs to whisk him into the garden (or cleaning up if I miss a cue), distracting him from furniture chewing, stopping him from biting my ankles, my knees, my bottom, whatever bit of me is nearest to him when he's in bitey mood, keeping him occupied with toys, encouraging my husband and sons to be patient with him. But the more I read on this forum about 'cocker spaniel energy'  >:D, the more I wonder if I will have to completely focus my life on accommodating a manic creature who demands constant time and attention which will get worse through his adolescence, and then when he's an adult he'll still be manic because he's a cocker and "cockers are bonkers".  As I started typing this, Archie was racing round the kitchen snapping away and snarling.  He's now at my feet as I type, looking up at me like butter wouldn't melt in his mouth.  I should have called him Dr Jekyll.  Next time I post I'll try to be nicer, sorry. :embarassed:

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
Re: End of week 2 - new to doggy world - lacking confidence, venting!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 10:16:55 PM »
Hi and welcome.
 You have a normal cocker, runs everywhere at 100 miles an hour, the wall of death around the room and on top of the furniture  :luv:. the ankle nipping, sock nicking(oh you have not mentioned that yet  :005:) they do get better and he will be a joy.
 Photo is a must and prehaps he can tell us his adventures on the " I is a nortee puppy " thread.

Have you got the best tools of the trade , wine, chocs and wellies
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 10:22:56 PM »
Don't worry, this bit won't last for ever and Archie will settle down as he gets older.  I have three dogs and, like you, found the first particularly challenging.  He is 4 now.  He isn't a cocker but as a puppy about 8-9 each night he would often bring me to tears, racing about, trying to bite me and barking at me.  Eventually, I realised that he was over tired from his busy day and was like a toddler having a bit of a tantrum.  I started putting him to bed in his crate for 20mins or so until he had clamed down.  I would then open the door and he'd either come out and curl up or, if he was really tired, just stay in there and snooze.

I knew what to expect when we got our cocker spaniel, so tings were easier as we had the routines in place and she would learn from our older dog Barney but we still had our moments.

We now have another dog who we got through a rescue last November.  She is about a year old now and very hard work.  She's a setter/harrier cross with boundless energy and tremendous zest for life (ie she jumps all over us very time we return after absences of a few seconds, pulls like a train on the lead and wants to play all the time).  When it all gets too much, she too has timeout in her crate with a kong or stag bar and comes out once she has calmed down.

You are doing all the right things and it sounds as if Archie is learning fast.  Things will get easier every day.  If you don't have a crate though, I would say to get one.  I think they are brilliant and my dogs have all loved them too.  We put Barney's and Pippa's away when they were about 18 months (though still use them for holidays).  Amber adores hers.  She has all her meals in there and each evening, after last wee, she races to get in there and wait for her bedtime biscuit.  I also know she's safe and happy in there if I have to pop out.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Offline HBP

• Hudson Bramble
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 10:46:29 PM »
I know two weeks is no time at all, but I'm tired and disheartened by the constant demands of looking after him - watching out for toileting signs to whisk him into the garden (or cleaning up if I miss a cue), distracting him from furniture chewing, stopping him from biting my ankles, my knees, my bottom, whatever bit of me is nearest to him when he's in bitey mood, keeping him occupied with toys, encouraging my husband and sons to be patient with him.

Unfortunately these "constant demands" are just what having a puppy is like, for everyone! These first few weeks are incredibley demanding, which I suppose is why people are warned to think carefully before taking on a puppy, and why so many puppies end up in rescues through no fault of their own.

Like twiceover says, it won't be like this forever. This is a key time for you both but the effort you put in now will be repaid a thousand times over when you have a lovely happy well mannered grown up cocker spaniel to show for it. Sounds like you are doing everything right so far.

Would love to see some pictures of your choc and tan pupster....  ;)

Offline Walshies

• Fudge - our lovely chocolate boy
    • Masarnen Ramblers
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 11:38:50 PM »
Welcome to COL.

Sounds like your boy is well looked after and is doing really well. The behaviour he is portraying at the moment is fairly normal to be honest and things will get better.  Have a look at all the other threads on this subject for advice along with what is being said here.

When we got Fudge we were both absolutely knackered for at least 3 months but all of a sudden the hard work with his training paid off and he is a part of our life we cannot do without now.

Keep with it and when things get bad revert to the cocker spaniel owners default setting - have a glass of wine!
Check out our website at www.masarnenramblers.com

Offline Welsh cocker

• Wilma
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 09:16:38 AM »
I've had those moments too, and during those times all I was reading on the internet was how crazy and hyper the breed can be! But, there are lots of stories both on this forum and online generally which tell what wonderful and calm pets they can be! I think we filter these out at times and convince ourselves we've got a Tasmanian devil  >:D

Wilma has settled so much with routine now she is 5 months. When Wilma got her most manic, we would just push her away and ignore her...we stayed in the room but gave her no attention for 5 minutes. Then when settled or playing with own toys, we would call her to us and fuss gently. Our puppy class trainer advised this and it worked within 2 days! Archie may have lost out on some of those boundaries that mum would have put in place as he was so young when you got him, but it is not too late for you to instil them. If he was getting overexcited, growling and snappy, his mum would have corrected him. He would have learnt what is appropriate and not. You need to find an equivalent to this, and in our case ignoring and pushing away gently worked a treat! Wilma quickly learnt and I promise you it has done no damage to her, but has taught respect and manners.

Wilma also tends to be more hyper in our kitchen as she associates this with play and toys. Our lounge is associated with cuddles and quiet chews as we have never got into the pattern of getting her excited and wound up in this room.  ;) Once he has had his jabs, puppy classes can work wonders at getting rid of some of the energy!

But it can get better and having previously owned and  trained a border collie and springer spaniel (both high energy breeds with similar horror stories on internet of adapting to family homes) and in the process of training a working line cocker as a family pet, I believe that with the right information and direction most dogs can be wonderful and calm pets (albeit it with a 30 minute wall of death each night  ;)). Deep breath, and good luck  :D

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 12:27:00 PM »
Hi, welcome and  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

I also have an Archie and if you read my earliest posts you will find that he was an absolute  >:D he wasn't even my first cocker but I still wasn't prepared for the bitey, whiny, destruction devil that he was. (Actually, I'm thinking we need a sticky warning people of the dangers of calling your cocker "Archie"! It seems there are a few who are, shall we say...challenging?!)

You sound like you are doing everything right and, like everyone says, he will settle and you will get through this and really start to enjoy him. Make sure that everyone in the family is consistent with the training. All use the same cue words for toileting outside etc and all react the same way to unwanted behaviour so he doesn't get away with some things with some people which could confuse him.
Deep heat spray is a good deterrent on the furniture, just be careful not to spray it near Archie. I used to shut him out of the room and spray a tiny bit, then wait a minute or two. It worked really well. I also lived in Ugg boots (fake  :shades:) when my Archie was a pup. It saved my ankles and the bottoms of my trousers. He was a dreadful biter and absolutely nothing worked to deter him so I kept him on a house line and used it to lead him out of the room to the other side of a baby gate when he was being a monster. He often settled behind the gate because he could still see me.
Feel free to vent any time. This forum was my lifeline and without it I really don't think I would have had the fabulous little dog that I have now. (Mind you, he does still have his moments.......but that's half the fun of cockers.  :D)

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 12:49:23 PM »
He is just doing normal cocker puppy things , pups are hard work but worth it in the end , ive got 3 my 2 boys are only a year apart and its been very hard at times as they wind each other up playing and barking but they are coming up to 3 and 4 years old now still naughty but wonderful dogs . Stick around on this site as you will get support and lots of knowlegable owners
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline April Shower

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 01:38:37 PM »
Oh thank you for your encouraging comments, you've helped me to get things in perspective.  I really want us to do our best for Archie to give him a good life, but I had started to worry that we were making him unhappy with our lack of experience or whatever.... You've reminded me to be patient and get a grip on myself, thanks!! This morning is another day and has been lovely so far - but I will remember your comments this evening when the witching hour kicks in >:D.  But thank you - your kindness and common sense is much appreciated. 

Offline lisalh

• Donator
  • Fred
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 03:35:41 PM »
Next time you are having one of those days I suggest you look at some of my early posts, I love my boy and would not be without him (now) but boy oh boy were there some crappy days as he was growing up...I prescribe red wine (lots of it) , humour and a lot of time on COL.... I too was a first time cocker puppy mum and it is a steep learning curve but it is all worth it in the end!! SO much so that I now have two of the lil sods who continue to keep me on my toes but provide me with daily love and laughter.
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Offline ShazzaC

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 01:02:06 PM »
You sound like you are doing everything right! It is hard work being a puppy owner, no doubt about it. Keep going, he'll settle down in the end. They can be wilful, crazy and stubborn BUT there is nothing like a greeting from a happy cocker spaniel, they are lovely dogs  :D

Offline cjealing

• millie & me.
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2014, 08:11:08 PM »
It sounds like you are doing all the right things.. its such a steep learning curve but all comes good in the end.. we found solace & huge help in this forum when Millie was a pup people were full of encouragement & good advice.. stick with it & be consistant with everything  ;)  they are very clever & wonderful little bundles of naughtiness & love. ;)

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 07:00:55 PM »
You have a perfectly normal cocker pup  :D  it will get better I promise some cocker pups can be a bit of a shock, its because they are smart and full of character which makes for great adult dogs its just it can take a while for them to grow up  :D :D 
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly