Author Topic: After anal gland op.........  (Read 651 times)

Offline Buttons

After anal gland op.........
« on: August 16, 2017, 08:01:20 PM »
I know a number of dogs on here have had the op so I'm looking for some advice please?
Archie had the op yesterday about 1pm and came home a bit whiny and was unsettled at night. Not too bad today, not whining but since about 4pm is just not being able to settle, running from one place to another all the time and desperately jumping round to his rear end every five seconds. Doesn't seem in pain and has had normal poos and is eating but just unable to sit still...... literally seems to be trying to runaway from himself. Awful to see him like this and wonder if anyone else had a similar experience?
I realise it's a horrible operation and recovery is hard and that it's only really been approx 24hours but just a bit worried and sad for him.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: After anal gland op.........
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 08:30:02 PM »
Jarvis was fine after his. He was obviously sore and quiet but recovered quickly. 

When does he go back for a checkup?  It does sound like he's being bothered by something and he could be in some discomfort.
helen & jarvis x

Offline Buttons

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 08:36:59 PM »
He is officially going back in 4 days but if he is like this tomorrow will definitely take him then. Wonder if it is itchy? Definitely in discomfort if not pain...think it's going to be a long night!

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 08:48:28 PM »
No experience, so no advice but hope Archie's feeling better soon, it must be uncomfortable, poor lad! Sending  :bigarmhug:

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 08:50:50 PM »
I wonder if his stitches are bothering him. Gemma was a bit " twitchy" after her op
 One thing we did was to wipe gemma's bottom after every toilet to clean the area clean.
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 12:55:58 AM »
Pearl was similar to this in the first couple of days, it was as distressing to watch as it must have been for her

There are quite a few threads on here (health section) that's it's worth searching on - I added some updates after she had recovered and I know others have added a diary of events/recovery that may help - if in doubt give your Vet practice a call to discuss

Hope all is ok

Jayne

Offline Buttons

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 09:17:13 AM »
Thanks for all your comments. Bit of a bad night as him trotting around all night was quite noisy!

I think it's definitely more terribly uncomfortable more than painful. He's been out for a walk this morning and can walk perfectly ok but sits down quite often looking uncomfortable and annoyed! Where they shaved his rear end looks a bit sore, I think they have grazed his skin in a few places so that's going to be an irritation. The wound itself looks fine, in fact I can't see anything apart from the anus being a bit redder than usual..............he doesn't  have the baboon bum as being a liver roan his skin is darker, not pink!

Will see how things go today, the vet doesn't particularly want to give him tramadol if he can avoid it as apparently it can cause constipation........will update later. Thanks again.

Lianne

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 09:43:50 PM »
Jinley had a rash from being shaved too and I used some Metanium nappy rash cream. Just make sure they can't lick it.  I also gave her Arnica which helps with the internal bruising.

Offline Buttons

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 03:49:56 PM »
Just an update ........ had to go back to the vets for the clipper rash as he was licking it and making it worse. They gave him a steroid injection and gave me a cone for him to wear to stop the licking. A weekend of a dog rushing from place to place with a big cone on his head crashing into everything wasn't very restful for him or me! I even bought a so called "comfy cone" for £25 from Amazon but it wasn't worth the money and not measurably better, just not quite as noisy.
Archie had the check up with the nurse today. The rash is now dry and scabbed over and all fine.
The internal stitches are still bothering him but there is an improvement in him, even if only slight, every day. Hopefully he'll soon be back to normal. It's always hard to see your furbaby distressed and in pain and it hasn't been easy.......... but onwards and upwards.