Author Topic: Chicken neck  (Read 1023 times)

Offline Mop

Chicken neck
« on: December 06, 2008, 03:32:50 PM »
Hi, folks.
I've had the chance to buy little plates of chicken necks at a good price, sold for making chicken stock actually. I had thought that I could use them to vary my cocker diet by cooking these necks with rice, what kind of would extend the feed sack duration. But, bones when cooked are not healthy, are they?
I look forward your opinions on this, thank you in advance.
Have a nice day.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: Chicken neck
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 04:13:16 PM »
Raw, they would be a great treat for your dogs - but cooked, they could be lethal as the bones can splinter and damage a dogs internal organs, so steer well clear  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 05:14:02 PM »
Raw, they would be a great treat for your dogs - but cooked, they could be lethal as the bones can splinter and damage a dogs internal organs, so steer well clear  :-\

Never, never feed cooked bones, but raw they are a perfect doggy treat/meal.  :D  Just keep an eye out if your doggy is not used to eating bones.    ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 05:23:46 PM »
You'd be better to feed raw cos they'll get more from it, but if you do cook you must only give the meat and discard any bones. Cooked bones especially chicken bones can be lethal, and I have first hand info of a friends dog who died eating cooked chicken bones. They splintered her intestines. :'(
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Mop

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 07:42:50 PM »
Thank you all, friends.
That is what I presumed. So, better let's let it go, because I've never never fed my dog with raw flesh.
Most grateful.

Offline tigs71

• Evie's Cake Design
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 08:20:54 PM »
I am hoping to try Mason on a raw neck very soon.  He is loving the chicken wings he has been eating - he gets so excited when he sees me getting them ready  :luv:  As soon as I can leave him to eat his bones with less vigor I shall try him with the neck  :D
Elaine & Mason X

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 08:23:31 PM »
As soon as I can leave him to eat his bones with less vigor I shall try him with the neck  :D

When i cooked a turkey I gave Coco the neck and she loved it  :D - it would be no worse than giving wings imo as it is not weight bearing unlike, say, legs.  ;)
Julie and Watson