Author Topic: Is my pup too heavy!  (Read 1208 times)

Offline Black Beauty & Silverfox

• Miya
Is my pup too heavy!
« on: December 29, 2012, 10:56:05 AM »

Could someone please inform me if there is a chart of some sort whereby I could match my pups "ideal weight" against her actual weight :dunno:

Mel.

Offline KellyT

• Hazel, Jennie & Millie - the 3 Muskaspaniels
Re: Is my pup to heavy!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 11:09:43 AM »
Not aware of a chart... Though someone else probably will be :)

But how old is she, what does she weigh, and roughly how tall and long is she?

When we got Hazel she was definitely a bit porky. At 5 months old she was a distinct little barrel shape and weighed about 11kgs! Fully grown and a year old she now weighs 13kgs, but she is a tall girl, bigger than my other 2 girls.
Kelly & the 3 muskaspaniels x

Offline GeoW

• Donator
  • Maurice, Jan, and William (Prince of Orange)
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 11:10:36 AM »

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 11:11:24 AM »

Offline KellyT

• Hazel, Jennie & Millie - the 3 Muskaspaniels
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 11:11:38 AM »
Oo you beat me to it GeoW... I just found that after a quick google  :lol:
Kelly & the 3 muskaspaniels x

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 11:11:47 AM »
Lol, snap.

Offline Chocolate Hero

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 11:34:56 AM »
only thing to bear in mind with that chart, which ive found very useful as a guide, is that its for show types.
Run Free my little Laddie xxx

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 12:55:15 PM »

Cockers come in so many different sizes/builds that an "ideal" weight is not very reliable.
Better to use your own eye - I wouldn't worry too much with a young pup, as long as you are not over-feeding, as they can go through a very lanky phase at adolescence.  As an adult, they should have a clearly defined waist, and you should be able to easily feel ribs.
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Online Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 01:00:25 PM »

Cockers come in so many different sizes/builds that an "ideal" weight is not very reliable.
Better to use your own eye - I wouldn't worry too much with a young pup, as long as you are not over-feeding, as they can go through a very lanky phase at adolescence.  As an adult, they should have a clearly defined waist, and you should be able to easily feel ribs.

Totally agree - cockers vary hugely in size and weight.  Best to ensure your pup is the right size by feeding the correct amount and checking by eye  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 01:48:57 PM »

Totally agree - cockers vary hugely in size and weight.  Best to ensure your pup is the right size by feeding the correct amount and checking by eye  ;)

Agree too, there is no overall 'ideal' weight, it depends on the size and build of the dog. This photo is a couple of years old but Caoimhe (right) was fully grown and it shows the size difference in her and Tilly (middle) - both working Cocker bitches and both the right weight but about 4" different in height and 4kg different in weight so the ideal for one definitely isn't ideal for the other.

Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline beanbag

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 03:24:20 PM »
I agree remember its only a chart. Bonnie is 14 weeks old and probably now weighs about 5kgs and according to the chart shes underwieght  :huh: :-\ She isnt though bless her  :luv:

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 04:10:16 PM »

I agree there isn't any 'standard' weight for pups, like people they are all different shapes and sizes.   :D

Offline PennyB

Re: Is my pup too heavy!
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 05:39:31 PM »
Mine aren't standard weights/sizes especially as Roobs is only 9.5 kg as an adult (spayed)

as long as a pup is steadily gaining weight but bearing in mind they also have growth spurts as well I wouldn't worry at all

Stella my sprocker girl was a podgy pup age 12 weeks but went leggy and very skinny when she hit 5 months and now she's filling out just right.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2012, 06:11:15 PM »
I'd go with what she looks like, rather than by numbers on a chart. Charlie was 14kg but he was skin and bone, he's put weight on and looks so much better for it. It all in my opinion goes by what they look like, some writing spaniels are tiny and others huge so you can't directly compare.
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline Mel B

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2012, 07:50:30 PM »
My 6 month old working cocker bitch is now exactly 9 kg and I don't think she will grow much more -probably just build up more muscle so may peak at around 10/11 kg max.  My 6 year old male cocker is 14.5 kg so on the large side but very in proportion and definitely not overweight.