Author Topic: How to tell if my bitch is in season??  (Read 462 times)

Offline badgerheath1

How to tell if my bitch is in season??
« on: December 28, 2012, 01:55:56 PM »
My blue roan is 14 months old and I'm not sure if she is having her first season her vulva is a little swollen but the back of that seems to be really full and swollen,her teats at the back are hanging down too,i have checked for blood and there is nothing. :-\

Offline KellyT

• Hazel, Jennie & Millie - the 3 Muskaspaniels
Re: How to tell if my bitch is in season??
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 02:42:53 PM »
Usually there is swelling, and then after a week-ish of swelling she will get a discharge which could be bloody straight away, or could be kinda pinkish in colour and then get darker.
She may just be keeping herself very clean, hence you haven't noticed anything. If you take some toilet paper and wipe over her you may find you get some bloody discharge on the paper?

From what you describe it certainly sounds like she's in season to me.

Has her behaviour changed at all?

Kelly & the 3 muskaspaniels x

Offline Black Beauty & Silverfox

• Miya
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 03:33:57 PM »

My pup has recently gone through her first season at the age of 9 months :huh:
I noticed as she ran ahead of me that there was something there that wasn't normally :-\ When we arrived home I bathed her and saw that it was her vulva that was swollen :luv: a couple of days later she started to bleed, not much but enough to periodically wipe the area with a baby wipe. This lasted just over a week and then we were careful where we would take her out :shades:
The only issue I have is that her nipples are still prominent , but I'm told this is normal :dunno:

Mel.

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 07:38:22 PM »
I agree it sounds like she's in season.  The only way we can really tell Pippa is is that she gets pink and swollen.  She doesn't have much blood; we just find the odd spot on the floor every now and then.  It makes it hard to tell when she's finished too.  Her last went on about 4 weeks.