Author Topic: Help - Luna in season  (Read 1154 times)

Offline stuffster

• Luna
Help - Luna in season
« on: February 05, 2013, 09:38:48 AM »
A couple of days ago I found the first blood spots that confirmed what I had guessed - that Luna has just started her first season.

In 2.5 weeks time, me and 8,000 other magicians are off to Blackpool for 4 days for the worlds biggest magic convention. I cant NOT go - its the biggest event of the year for me, professionally and socially, and its often the only break that my partner and I get together in the year so staying at home is not an option.

The dogs are booked in with a dogsitter, who is fabulous and very understanding, but she has two neutered males, and she is worried about the effect it might have on them, and future dogs staying with her. I guess my questions are a) will she be finished giving off good smells by then? I'll give her a good bath before she goes to get rid of any remaining scent.
b) Is there anything I can get from the vet or petstores to lessen the effects of the season or make her scent less noticable?

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline jaybee

• Donator
Re: Help - Luna in season
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 12:37:38 PM »
I'm not sure whether sprays are really very effective, hopefully someone will be along with a bit more experience on the matter.

I can understand the worries of the dog sitter. Worst case scenario, is there anyone else who could possible look after Luna?

Hope you find a solution

PS - you're a magician?! Wow!  :o I really must come on COL more often, i had no idea there was a magician in our midst!

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 12:58:18 PM »
I wouldn't risk it, she's definitely too close to her peak, not a chance I would be prepared to take.  Sorry.

Even neutered dogs still get the urge and do mate a bitch

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 08:13:15 AM »
She's 2 days into her season and you only go in 2.5wks? Is that right.Personally, I think she'll be fine, it'll be close as she should have literally just finished but I think if she's bathed and you put on that season distract spray and she's only going to be near neutered males then I think they may just give her an extra sniff and that'll be it.

That's been my experience anyway of girls tailing off from a season and out walking with them. Mine also live with an entire male and he's interested from the beginning but they won't entertain any advances until around day 8 then once they've got to around 16 days he's pretty much forgotten about them too as they have themselves.

If your dog sitter isn't happy is there anyone else, family maybe or close friends who would just take her for you.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 08:47:54 AM »
I'm not so convinced about them not being interested - dogs that are exposed to bitches in season and actually do mate are far less interested in bitches after their peak but dogs that don't have that experience seem to be a different story..... :-\
helen & jarvis x

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 05:07:21 PM »
Logan may be exposed to the ladies, but he has never mated.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 08:53:06 PM »
Logan may be exposed to the ladies, but he has never mated.

He's lived with them which makes a massive difference  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 09:13:48 PM »
Ive spoken to the dog sitter, and she is confident it will be fine - I will bathe her and cover her in tea tree oil or something else horribly pongy to keep the dogs away, and the dogsitter will keep a very close eye on her and won't leave her alone with the boys for a moment. Luna and Purdey visit the boys most weekends whilst Im at work, so they pracrtically live together - hopefully they wont be too interested in her.

Thanks for your advice, everyone!

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline helshaw

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 09:19:20 PM »
I've got 2 neutered males & have walked with a friend more than once when her bitch has been in season & they have taken no notice of her. She is a GSP though so they wouldn't be able to reach anyway.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 10:27:47 PM »
Gemma is showing the signs of coming into season. We find she becomes " tarty" towards the boys. Its her we have to watch  ph34r
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 09:39:29 AM »
Just got one more question - Luna has been completely clean and dry in the house recently - but in the last 2 weeks Ive come downstairs to wee and poo every morning, and she has even had accidents a couple of times during the day - is this a symptom of her season, do you think?

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 09:54:11 AM »
Just got one more question - Luna has been completely clean and dry in the house recently - but in the last 2 weeks Ive come downstairs to wee and poo every morning, and she has even had accidents a couple of times during the day - is this a symptom of her season, do you think?

None of my 3 girls have ever done that  :shades:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline Millipede

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 10:04:49 AM »
Yes could well be, it was the same with my old cocker Della. She also had a bit of an on / off upset tummy, as well as generally being a bit down in the dumps  :embarassed:

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 02:10:32 PM »
Gemma does become unclean inthe house just before she comes into season. If it helps she also emitts an odour
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 02:33:36 PM »
Jinley is the same with the added pongy breath  :020: :020:

I think she will be fine, so long as she is not let off the lead.  I kept Jinley on the lead for 4 weeks from the start of the first signs just to be sure.  She was very lethargic though.  I have heard that vick on her bag legs will stop dogs from sniffing but the only problem would be that the bitch will not clean herself if it is too strong a smell??

If your dogsitter is okay with it and you can trust her to be extra vigilant then I can see no reason why you would not go.  Jinley was in her third week last year when we went to Italy for a weeks holiday.  My mom just amused her in the garden playing ball.