Author Topic: Maxitrol Eye Drops  (Read 18419 times)

Offline AndyB

• Donator
Maxitrol Eye Drops
« on: April 23, 2013, 06:12:36 AM »
My dog Jazz has Maxitrol eye drops periodically for allergic conjunctivitis.  They are amazingly successful and within 2-3 days of obtaining the drops there is a dramatic improvement in his eyes.  Unfortunately, within a week or so of completing the course the condition returns.  I just feel so sorry for him as the eye problem obviously makes him very miserable.  He is a different dog when his eyes are clear, much perkier and happier.  I know there is a COL member who is a trainee vet and I wondered if you could offer any guidance as to whether these drops could be used on a longer term basis.  I know they cannot be used if the dog has any eye ulcer, which Jazz does not, and my vet, rightly so, checks his eyes every third prescription for this condition. 

The effects are so amazing it would be wonderful if I could always keep a bottle to hand rather than only using them every two/three months.  They are only supplied in a tiny bottle, which is a one week supply, so it is an ongoing battle to keep the condition under control.  I do use an eye drop for dry eyes on a daily basis in between, (bought over the counter from Boots), as recommended by the ophthalmic vet I was referred to about eighteen months ago.  He does not actually have dry eyes, the tear production is also measured regularly.

Any guidance would be wonderful before I approach my own vet.

Offline debbiedaywalker

Re: Maxitrol Eye Drops
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 07:18:20 AM »
Have you tried chamomile tea bags?

Offline Ruby Tuesday

• My little Jem
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 07:26:05 AM »
It might be worth looking into homeopathic remedies that you can use more often. The lady at Canine Natural Cures is helpful if you contact her.
Julie, Ruby and Jem. And never forgetting our first precious dog, Cassie x

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 08:20:15 AM »
If it's an allergic response and there's no bacterial infection to deal with you could try something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PetAlive-PEHL001-Eye-Heal-50ml/dp/B000TMRI04

I've not used it but found the reviews interesting - clearly the people that were disappointed were ones with pets that had undiagnosed infections which they should have gone to the vets to sort out anyway!  It's expensive but from what I read you only use 4 or 5 drops in one batch so it would last a long time.

Chamomile tea bags are good, as is good old normal black tea cooled and gently wiped on.
helen & jarvis x