Author Topic: Frankie DAY 29 UPDATE ON FRANKIE  (Read 22071 times)

Offline deano

• Site Member
Frankie DAY 29 UPDATE ON FRANKIE
« on: June 20, 2013, 10:59:04 PM »
He has been on the natural instinct raw food for two weeks now with no problems at all he only eats the chicken flavour, at tea time he refused to eat his dinner and walked away to lay down, really unusual as he would eat all day if he could. He has laid down the side of the sofa all evening and hasn't been out to get a drink or follow any of us when he hears us go to the kitchen. He doesn't seem himself at all and another strange thing is Louis has been hanging around him since late afternoon, he keeps going into the corner where Frankie is sleeping by the sofa and is constantly trying To smell him which he has never done. I feel there is something not right and the only thing I can think of is the raw food, I always defrost it thoroughly but am wondering if its a bad batch as this is the first of the new batch I ordered.  Has anyone else had any health issues with feeding the raw food. Will have to take him to the vets if he is still the same in the morning.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Sorry Frankie's feeling unwell.

A few questions here, so apologies for all the question marks, but it may help clarify a few things. Am I right in thinking that you switched one of your other dogs to raw at the same time? If so, is he OK? If he is I don't think there will be anything wrong with the food.

Has Frankie been pooing OK? Natural Instinct has quite a lot of ground bone in it, which can cause constipation. Out of my two, Louis is fine on it but William sometimes becomes constipated and uncomfortable, which is one of the reasons I vary their raw diet. As you get more familiar with raw and as Frankie becomes fully used to it you'll probably find yourself tweaking it to suit his needs.

In the meantime, if Frankie was mine I'd encourage him to drink a little water, or carefully syringe a little bit into his mouth every so often to make sure he doesn't get dehydrated if he's still not drinking, and see how he is in the morning.

Has he ever had anal gland problems? That could be a reason for Louis trying to smell him, and anal glands can be very uncomfortable if blocked or infected.

I hope he's feeling a lot better in the morning :bigarmhug:

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
Would have been asking the same questions as Elaine really....
Hope Frankie's feeling a bit better this morning xx
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
Sounds like he's quite poorly  :'(

Hope he's better this morning.

Millie

Offline deano

• Site Member
Have sent you a pm Elaine, but think I forgot to say that his anal glands were emptied last week at the vets, we did ask the groomers to empty the glands for all 3 boys when the last visited 2 weeks ago but last week when Frankie went for his check up I asked the vet to check and he said they were full and hadn't been done for quite a while  >:(  he emptied them and he was right they were very full.

Had sleepless night, took Frankie to bed with me and he just laid almost in one spot all night barely moving half an inch, making a little noise each time as if he was in pain, his tummy quite hot and his ears, hasn't had a proper drink since yesterday evening except for some water off my hand late last night. he is just sleeping this morning although Louis still trying to get to him and smell him for some reason.   Am calling the vet so hopefully will get some answers this morning.  keep you posted

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Replied to your PM but think you'd gone offline by then. Hope you get a diagnosis at the vet's and something to make Frankie feel better :bigarmhug:

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
Poor Frankie. I hope you get a diagnosis at the vet and that he is soon on the mend.  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
Poor boy. Hope you get some answers from the vet

Millie

Offline deano

• Site Member
Back from the vet, Frankie has a very high temperature, still had a hot tummy and ears and also under his paws.  His glands were up and he had a small amount of blood and mucus when he checked his bottom. No blockage. He said he has an internal infection, could be something he ate in the garden (recently started eating dry dirt) or possibly a pancreatic problem, although he has never had any problems with food in the 3 years we have had him unlike Alfie who often has tummy rumblings, is sick and has problems with his digestive system.
He has given him an injection to bring the temperature down and another to help with the pain and discomfort he has, said not to worry about him not drinking as he will when the temperature goes down and he feels a little better. Give him boiled chicken tonight and tomorrow (doesn't feel its anything to do with the Natural Instinct Raw food) also keep him off the steroids that hes taking for his skin allergy until he is better. If he gets any worse today or tomorrow he has to go straight back otherwise he will re check him on Monday.

The problem with Louis following Frankie, trying to smell him on his face and underneath is because he sensed he isn't well and basically he is looking after him and checking on him :luv: :blink:   
So at the minute Frankie is looking really sad and sorry for himself and tucked away in the corner.  Hopefully he will feel better later today.   Thanks for the kind thoughts.

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
Oh bless... hope he is
feeling much better very soon :blink:

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
Poor thing. I had a cocker with grumbling pancreatitis problems and he was raw fed at the time. If it did turn out to be his pancreas then you might need to look at his food as raw can be quite high fat. I think I'm right in saying that NI do a low fat version? Someone who uses it might be able to confirm (or otherwise  ;)) if it turns out to be that. Let's hope not and that it's just a little bug he's picked up. Fingers and pass crossed that he is feeling better very soon.

Offline deano

• Site Member
That's interesting because I suggested to the vet that as this has never happened before and we only changed to a raw food diet 2 weeks ago maybe the food doesn't agree with his digestive system .. he said not in his opinion and that changing to raw food normally does the complete opposite.  Am hoping that it is a bug that will pass quickly but will also see if anyone on COL uses the low fat without any problems.  Frankie normally has a stomach of steel, when I first brought him home from the refuge in Spain he stole 4 frozen chicken breasts from the patio table where I had been trying to defrost them and despite me worrying myself to death that he would really sick he had no ill effects :lol2:

Offline deano

• Site Member
probably over worrying now but just called the vets again as Frankie has laid in his basket since we got home at 11 this morning, he doesn't look when I call his name and his eyes look completely drugged, he can't lift his head up He hasn't had a drink since last night, the nurse saysone of the the injections he had is similar to the ones they give as pre med before operations and hopefully should start wearing off in around 6 hours or so.  He just looks like he is so ill at the moment.  Louis hasn't left his side :luv: it's so hard when you have to watch them in pain and you can't do anything

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Just PMed you again before reading this. It sounds like Frankie's very sleepy from the pain killing injection but I'd be concerned too if it was one of mine. Have you got to phone the vet again after the 6 hours if he's still really out of it?

Hope he's more awake and alert very soon :bigarmhug:

Offline deano

• Site Member
Dental nurse's always have  a way of making you sound like your over reacting and everything is normal but when you looking at a dog who looks really out of it and quite ill its hard not to worry.  She didn't say call back after 6 hours  but they shut at 7pm so I would have to call emergency vet and then its whoever is on duty at whichever one of their surgeries. I will be straight on the phone if he doesn't make any positive progress after 6pm as don't want him going through another evening and night like this.   Hopefully he will feel better in a few hours. Am keeping everything crossed.