Author Topic: Puppy ate snail  (Read 6214 times)

Offline MUDDYBOOTS

Puppy ate snail
« on: August 05, 2013, 01:12:34 AM »
Gabby has just eaten a snail shell and all will this harm her.Phoned the out of hours vet and they said to bring her in and they made her sick but it did not come out :huh:
Do you think a snail will pass OK,will the shell dissolve like a raw chicken bone.Shes driving me nuts eating things,shes 12 weeks old and will be lucky to see 14 weeks you need eyes in the back of your head.

Thanks Paul.

Offline Walshies

• Fudge - our lovely chocolate boy
    • Masarnen Ramblers
Re: Puppy ate snail
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 07:42:35 AM »
Paul - welcome to the world of having a cocker!!

Not sure whether or not it will dissolve although someone on here will know. If it were me I would be off to the vet to be on the safe side.

Hope Gabby is ok - Fudge still eats all sorts and he is 1 next week although to be fair to the Chocolate Monster he is getting choosy about what he eats!
Check out our website at www.masarnenramblers.com

Offline GeoW

• Donator
  • Maurice, Jan, and William (Prince of Orange)
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 07:55:23 AM »
I wouldn't be too concerned as an isolated incident, but it would be better if you could remove the opportunity for her to eat snails and get a taste for them.

We went thro' exactly the same issues with William, it's the nature of pups to test thing out. I still make a tour of our yard before letting William out in the evening and remove all the snails, slugs, and frogs I find, although last night he nearly had a large stag beetle.

There is a lot of talk about Lung worm infection from eating slugs and snails, and I note in my area some vets seem be cashing in on the subject by  publishing adverts with dire warnings. My vet laughed at my concern  saying he had seen about three cases in his whole career, and although some areas are worse than others,(ours isn't one of them) provided the dog isn't an habitual snail eater the risk is fairly low.

Symptoms of lung worm are coughing, which of course can be  related to  much more common  complaints.

Offline chrisp

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 10:37:35 AM »
Mollie has Advocate wormer etc as she has a liking for snails. 

Offline Mary P

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 11:08:27 AM »
Our Martha had lung worm when we got her. She must have had it before she got to the rescue, but it only showed up after her spey. One of the stages of the worm lives in the heart, and causes a false haemophilia. She bled so much from her wounds that we almost lost her only 13 days after we got her!!!

The Vets amazed us all by saving her life. She had bled so much that they struggled to find a vein to put in a line to re-hydrate her. She was very lucky!

All it took was a worming treatment, and she was cured.
Mary P

Please help me raise £1000 for MAGGIE'S CENTRES
Thanks!

www.justgiving.com/Mary-Cuba2015

I NEED YOUR HELP, PLEASE DONATE!!! PLEASE ASK OTHERS TO DONATE!!!

Offline Biddy

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 12:21:48 PM »
Jake had a liking for snails when he was a young puppy, not so much in eating them now but will still pick them up and play with them.

our vet advised using Advocate as flea and worming prevention we also give Drontal to cover the tape worm.
We have not had any problems with Advocate and apply it (spot on treatment) every 4 weeks. Gives peace of mind against nasty disease.

Hope gabby is ok today

:bigarmhug:

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 04:59:22 PM »
I wouldn't worry too much. Just remind your vet at the next worming so that they can give her the treatment for lung worm if they think it's necessary. I seem to remember they should be wormed monthly until they are 6 months  :D
Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline MUDDYBOOTS

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 08:28:13 PM »
Thanks for all your replies,Gabby seams OK and is just as crazy as usual but her poos do seam a bit loose :shades:

Thanks Paul

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 08:42:35 PM »
Hope she's ok Paul.  They worry us to death these puppies of ours.  Good job we love 'em.

:luv:
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 11:12:17 PM »
Our local vet has seen a few cases of lungworm this year and we get a six month supply of Advocate every time Milly and Chaz go for their bi-annual checkup.
They're both on one of these vet schemes which covers checkups, worming, injections etc for an annual/monthly fee.

I'm sure Gabby'll be fine but you're wise to keep an eye on her.

Bob.