Author Topic: Raw hide  (Read 1104 times)

Offline **kookie**

Raw hide
« on: November 21, 2013, 10:56:28 AM »
What are your thoughts on raw hide chews, and what alternatives do you use?
Bailey loves them, but I am wondering if they are the cause of his loose stools.
Kookie, Bailey & Dora x

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
Re: Raw hide
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 11:05:27 AM »
Hmm a bit wary of raw hide only
ones I did buy till she
went off them were by farmfoods
www.farmfood.co.uk
now just on pizzle :blink:

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 12:22:13 PM »
Our last cocker used to love rawhide. Charlie just isn't interested - their tastes are totally chalk and cheese.

We have a stag bar, the very occaisional pigs ear (again he isn't interested), ancol root. He isn't a big chewer really; he's had filled hooves as well but again he's not that bothered.
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 12:40:01 PM »
They can cause loose stools if quite a lot is eaten and there's also the possibility of choking or the rawhide swelling up inside the digestive system and causing a blockage. However, the same or similar can be said about a lot of other chews such as pig and cow ears, bull pizzle etc. and the degree of danger will partly be down to whether or not your dog chews carefully and how much he's allowed to have.

My younger Cocker is a careful chewer and he has Farmfood rolled rawhides, but only under supervision, and I always bin the chew when it becomes small enough that he could potentially try to swallow it down in one go. Farmfood is the only brand I'll use because they're guaranteed cow hide and aren't bleached. Most rawhides come from China and who knows what animal they're from or how they've been processed.

Other things I buy include cow ears, rabbit ears and tripe sticks from Zooplus. I used to buy bull pizzle from there too but my younger dog isn't keen on them and the older one nearly choked on one.

I don't give them pig ears or paddywack because both of them end up with upset tummies.

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 12:59:50 PM »
Does anyone else think pizzles have become expensive ??
I used to get a huge piece for about £1, but this year they seem to be about 4 inches for £1, be it pet shop, market or wilko's
regards from Julie & Kez

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 01:42:07 PM »
Does anyone else think pizzles have become expensive ??
I used to get a huge piece for about £1, but this year they seem to be about 4 inches for £1, be it pet shop, market or wilko's

Not noticed any change with the ones I sometimes buy at Zooplus, but the ones at my local pet shop have shot up in price and shrunk in size - £1.25 for one :P. They are only a very rare treat for Brodie anyway, as they can upset her stomach. At one time she used to eat tonnes of them, so guess I'm lucky there!

Don't like rawhide at all, although when Brodie was younger I used to give her those delicate ones in the shape of shoes as a treat.

x In memory of Barney x