Author Topic: Lip fold infection?  (Read 19047 times)

Offline GeoW

• Donator
  • Maurice, Jan, and William (Prince of Orange)
Lip fold infection?
« on: March 27, 2014, 12:50:37 PM »
I think William may have developed a lip fold infection on one side of his lower lips.
He seems to be salivating more, his mouth feels wet to the touch, and it looks black around the area also with some hair loss.

Have no experience of this complaint and I wonder if those members who have, may be able to advise on a course of action.
I have read that Hibiscrub is good for this sort of thing and have ordered some, anyone know how this is best applied?
Is it advisable to consult the Vet first, or should cleaning the area be given a chance first.

Any advice would be welcome.

M.

Offline john51

Re: Lip fold infection?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 01:11:09 PM »
It does look pretty much like lip fold dermatitis. If your vet takes the same line as mine he will probably advise trying to keep it clean first and see whether that does the trick. If not, he will then either prescribe antibiotic tablets or maybe Fuciderm cream. Both are very effective at clearing the problem up. If it keeps recurring you will then have to think about an operation to resection the lip. That is usually a very successful treatment.

From experience, can I suggest you are very careful when you clean his lip. A sore lip can be nasty for the dog and he might not appreciate a dose of disinfectant. Dilute the Hibiscrub (not sure of the ratio - I'm sure someone else will help) and be as gentle as you can.

Good luck.
Home of Lenny and the late, great, Dylan.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 01:21:16 PM »
Looks like a lip fold infection. Does it smell? That's usually an indication too.

My William used to get them periodically when he was younger, but hasn't had any since I switched him to a raw diet some years ago. I always keep the hair short around the lip folds and when he was prone to getting the infections I used to gently wipe away any food debris from the area and use Thornit powder if it looked like an infection might be brewing, but not on a regular basis.

Diluted Hibiscrub applied very gently may help and I think it's worth trying that initially to see if it clears it up. If it does, keep the area clipped short from now on and monitor how he goes.

My first Cocker had a little nip and tuck on one side as he kept getting infections, probably not helped by the fact that he was always swimming in ponds and wallowing in mud! The operation was a success. Fingers crossed that William won't need it though :D

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 03:14:16 PM »
Sorry to hear that William is suffering!

Jinley has the occasional bout of soreness and I just dilute some hibiscrub and apply gently with a cotton wool ball, after a day or so, when it looks less sore, I clean it deeper.  It is important that the area is kept dry and I have also dabbed some Thornit on the fold to keep it dry.

It has always cleared up on its own and the vet checked her lip folds at her last check up and they were fine. If Williams flares up again quite soon, I would take him to the vets, but initially, I would try and control it myself.

Offline GeoW

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 03:35:16 PM »
Thanks John, Elaine, and Pat, I'll give it a go. How much do you dilute the Hibiscrub, and how many applications a day would you apply?

Thanks,

M.

Offline linda c

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 03:40:24 PM »
Quite a few Cockers get lip fold infections,  I do the same as already said clean thoroughly with diluted hibiscrub then dry.

Blue sometimes has ointment from the vets if it gets very sore, it helps with the infection. I also keep the hair clipped very short round that area. I do wipe his after he's eaten and try to dry after he's had a drink as he's a real sloppier !!!
He's had this since he was about 12months and he's nearly 10 with no major problems.
I believe the operation is a fairly easy one and not that expensive but I've kept it under control so not bothered with doing that. :D

Offline linda c

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 03:43:17 PM »
I dilute 1 part hibiscrub to 20 parts water. Use cotton wool then dry after with more cotton wool.
Blue has his done 3 times a day after meals.
It's a matter of cleaning thoroughly then as and when you think it starts to be a problem  :D

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 03:50:38 PM »
Sometimes, I also complete wet a cotton wool ball (I use cooled boiled water) then just put some hibiscrub in the lid and dip the ball in.  I used to find that it was difficult to dilute in small quantites and got through lots of hibiscrub.

Offline JamiesGirl

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 04:19:32 PM »
I find it easier to create a big bottle of dilute Hibiscrub then none gets wasted :) and it lasts longer. I clean Jamie's lip folds once a week even if there's no sign of dirt just to prevent any infections in the future.
🐾 Jamie's Girl - Sara 🐾

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 04:56:47 PM »
I find it easier to create a big bottle of dilute Hibiscrub then none gets wasted :) and it lasts longer. I clean Jamie's lip folds once a week even if there's no sign of dirt just to prevent any infections in the future.

A much better idea!!

Offline linda c

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 08:35:57 PM »
I do the same thing, have a smallish bottle and dilute enough to fill it so there's no wastage. :D

Offline zenon_bass

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 12:22:45 AM »
Millie is again suffering the same complaint atm.  Regrettably initially started after she was bitten last year. Vet has given me Surolan liquid to drip on the affected site after cleaning x2 daily.  Has worked on right side, but the left is more persistent... We have Hibiscrub as a backup.

It's so useful to compare and see photos of other sufferers - thank you!

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 09:59:57 AM »
Oh Maurice, sorry to read about William's problem.

Reading all this with interest.  It seems to be so common in cockers doesn't it?

Hope it clears up for him really quickly. X
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline GeoW

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2014, 05:07:16 PM »
Thanks Maureen and to everyone else for your advice.

So we've got the Hibiscrub but Wills is not being a co-operative patient and application has been a little hit and miss, more miss than hit I fear. Trouble is the little smart a**e is now alert to me getting a cotton pad out and there is much lip curling and grumbling, and Wills is not too keen either. ;)

The infection doesn't seem to have got any worse and the smell is not too strong, but it doesn't seem to be improving much either so Wills is booked in to see the Vet on Wednesday when he will no doubt behave perfectly.

Come here Wills , come and see what Daddy's got  ............no chance.

M.

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2014, 05:11:40 PM »
 :005: :005: Clever little baggers aren't they! ;)

I have to pretend I am looking at something out of the window to get Jinley up on the ledge so I can have a good look and clean of her lip folds and ears.  Its as if she knows, as on those occasions she just looks at me from afar as though I am mad  ph34r

Let us know what the vet says.