Author Topic: Lip fold infection?  (Read 19049 times)

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
Re: Lip fold infection?
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2014, 05:27:22 PM »
Aw Wills, come on.  It is for your own good little man.  Gracie has to have her lip fold done too, and she hates it.  But, I think it is on the mend, and not looking as gunky now.

Wishing you well. Xxx :luv: :luv:

No more lip curling Maurice, do you hear?  Gently does it. Hehe. X
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2014, 08:02:11 PM »
Sorry Maurice, but I'm glad it's not just Toby who protests when I try mouth cleaning, or anything else for that matter.  He knows exactly what I'm going to do and makes it as difficult as possible, the little s*d.  :005:

My last cocker had lip fold infection very badly in his latter years.  A course of antibiotics cleared it, but it soon returned.  There is an operation they can have but no guarantee of it being 100% successful apparently.  I felt it was too risky, as Jarvis was getting on a bit. I just resorted to keeping it at bay with daily cleaning.

Hope William has more success with your vet.

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline jennycockerspaniel

• Donator
  • A.I.O.H Jenny
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2014, 12:07:22 AM »
Sorry to hear this poor William Louis has had problems and was smelly he had antibiotic a anethectic and  trimmedhair of f mouth and had his teeth cleaned and polished and since then he has been fine but they found a lump on his tongue benign thank goodness but he does not dribble so much  so that was not helping Hope it heals up soon and sending him hugs x
Penny Black Jennys niece

Offline PennyB

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2014, 01:34:18 PM »
the other thing re lip fold problems is they can also be quite painful for a dog and so reluctant for an owner to touch which can extend itself to later on when lipfold is healed up and pain free but the memory still remains

My vet has given pain relief sometimes for this because it is painful in some dogs
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline GeoW

• Donator
  • Maurice, Jan, and William (Prince of Orange)
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2014, 03:02:23 PM »
I keep telling Wills it's for his own good and to make him feel better,. but he's not impressed ;)
 You make a good point Penny we were getting concerned that our unwelcome attentions may oversensitise him to having his mouth area touched, and have decided not to do it when he's on the worktop for general grooming which he enjoys, I would hate a bad association to develop.

Roll on tomorrow...

M.

Offline linda c

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2014, 07:50:35 PM »
You've got to smile at the little devils, Blue knows what's going to happen as soon as I get the cotton wool out and he decides to go somewhere else very quickly  >:D

I usually do his lip folds in the kitchen with him backed up to the door, I then stand over him with my back to the door holding him firmly with my legs then lift his head up and gently wipe his downwards, it works for me ;)
He has his done on a regular basis and has Surolan ointment to help clear things up if bad.

sarahR

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2014, 08:56:20 PM »
Our vet told us just to dab the cotton wool on gently at first not putting any pressure on it or wiping it then pat it dry. The first few days I must admit I felt like counting my fingers afterwards as she was not happy but OH held Ozzie and had a bit of primula cheese on the end of his fingers to stick on her tongue afterwards. The first times times were very quick seconds in fact. After a week she was much better and would stand still as good as gold and allow you to gently wipe her mouth for a good while. She did end up having a nip and tuck just over a year ago and has been fine ever since.
Good luck tomorrow.

Offline GeoW

• Donator
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2014, 03:50:43 PM »
Thank you Sarah and Linda for your tips.

So I sez to Tom our Vet I think Wills has got a lip fold infection, been on the internet again sez Tom ;)  well it is what you say. Been trying to clean it with diluted hibiscrub I say; needs something stronger than that sez Tom, might make you feel better doing it but won't have much effect. Certainly does not make me feel better sez I, Wills is far from being a willing patient. >:(

So back from the Vets some £62 poorer Wills has had an injection of Lincocin and Colvasone and a course of Clinicin tablets, all to do with microbial infections.

Hopefully this will clear it up, but once it has we will try to continue with a regular clean and dry of the area.

M.

Offline zenon_bass

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2014, 02:33:13 PM »
Many thanks to John51!

Previously Millie was almost cured and then the infection would return.   On another occasion, the vet had said that I was worrying unduly, but M kept licking her legs as a displacement activity this time, so I knew all was not right.

When Millie sees the cotton wool balls come out ready for Hibiscrub, she hides in her crate, that is until the special treat is waved around.  :005:

After ages of Millie's lip infection not responding to Surolan cream and Bactroban ointment, I took her back to the vet and mentioned this website, specifically Fuciderm cream.  I really wish I'd done this sooner as the magic seems to be working!   

COLers Thank you! You are all a mine of information!

Offline GeoW

• Donator
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2014, 04:32:03 PM »
Will's lip fold infection is stubbornly refusing to clear up. He has now had four lots of antibiotic, haphazard applications of surolan, and since Thursday is on fuciderm. His poor lips look very sore and he is not the best of patients although I am having slightly better success with the application of the fuciderm gel.

We are reluctantly thinking that a nip and tuck may be only remaining option but of course  that too is a worry.

Are there any members who's cockers have had the surgery and can advise of success rates, post op healing time, any complications arising from having the procedure?

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2014, 06:06:40 PM »
My first Cocker had a nip and tuck on one lip fold, but that was about 25 years ago, so I don't remember too much about it. I know it did the trick, no more lip fold infections ever, and I'm sure it healed quickly and easily because I'd remember if he'd had any problems after the op.

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2014, 06:09:00 PM »
Sorry to hear he is still having problems. Harry had a bad bout last year and it needed a few courses of anti b's before it cleared up. Our vet advised salt water as it doesn't sting as much as hibiscrub and she gave me some very expensive wipes to keep the bacteria in the lip fold area down. And fingers crossed no problems since. Hope you get sorted soon  :luv:

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2014, 10:26:20 AM »
Aw Maurice, sorry to read that it's not clearing.

Ollie and Gracie are both on Fuciderm at the moment.  It appears that this is a common 'nuisance' for our cockers.

Let's just hope the Fuciderm does the trick for all.......not keen on surgery route.  Just silly me, I know.  Terrified of anaethesia due to sad experience.

Get better soon William.  We are thinking of you. Xx
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline Redked

• Donator
  • Beautiful Bonnie Boo (formerly The Destroyer)
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2014, 12:30:13 AM »
No experience of lip fold problems but hoping William can get this cleared up without an op. Sending hugs from us  :luv: :luv:

Offline pancake

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2014, 12:21:55 PM »
Harvey has had this a few times in the last couple of years, hibiscrub worked only once but we have used optiderm spray with good effect, its used for dermatitis & pyoderma, we just spray it on to his lips at the side until it runs off, no need for cotton wool etc & as its a trigger spray its squirts right into the folds so a lot less painful than rubbing the lips

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C0TABB2/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1