Author Topic: Head Shaking  (Read 1333 times)

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
Head Shaking
« on: July 17, 2005, 10:25:23 PM »
Hi there

Seems a while since I posted about Jessie's health but tonight she has developed a head shake...every couple of mins she shakes it! :mellow:

She seems a bit subdued this evening too but I do wonder if I am being paranoid.
She hasn't shown any sign of head shaking until tonight but it appears something is aggravating her down one of ears. She trys to scratch down it but then mkes a grumbly whiney noise as if she cant get to it but she needs to but she is shaking her head more.

Now I have looked with my eye, with the aid of a torch and also with a magnifying glass and torch and cant see any seeds etc but I expect they can get far down!
Interesting that she hasn't had an offlead walk today just a half hour round the streets on the estate I live cos its been sooo hot here. So it would be weird if she picked it up today.

Saffi has some ear wash so I have used a bit in Jessies ears to see if that helped and to be honest she seems to be shaking her head a bit more now, maybe it dislodged whatever it is and now it hurts more? I wish she could talk and tell me what the problem is?!?

I think if she is head shaking tomorrow I will pop her to the vets just to check...she is almost 2 and never had *touches wood* anything down her ear yet, in fact she hasn't had any ear trouble....I put that down to a pinch of thornit every now and then  :)

Does this sound like like grass seeds or not?

Cheers

Jane

Offline PennyB

Head Shaking
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2005, 10:35:55 PM »
Could be but as you say the vet is the best person to have a look.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Head Shaking
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2005, 10:46:33 PM »
Awww bless her, perhaps it is a grass seed or a bit of wax annoying her!  Hope shes better soon xx

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Head Shaking
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2005, 10:49:03 PM »
Does she hang her head to one side?  - sounds like it might be a seed  :( I have seen them on walks on our estate  :rolleyes: .

I would take her to the vets and make sure , let us know, give her a hug from us xxxxxxx
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
Head Shaking
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2005, 10:52:00 PM »
Thanks for your replies!

Suzysu - she isnt hanging her head just shaking and trying to scratch it, she is asleep at the mo as she was getting distressed I cuddled her till she nodded off....she seemed to like me stroking her head under her ear and its relaxed her.

Am going to take her the vets anyway just to see, we go on hol in a couple of weeks and I dont want her poorly whilst my dad is doggy sitting  :)

Janey

Offline flossysmum

• Limited Member
    • Abilou Cocker Spaniels
Head Shaking
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2005, 09:17:07 AM »
Aww! Hope she's better soon :)
xxx Love Abi, Flossy, Charlie, Amber, Bertha and Ginny xxx

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Head Shaking
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2005, 08:21:14 PM »
Hows Jessie today Janey? xxxxxxx
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline scooby's mum

• Site Member
  • Scooby & Misty's Mum
Head Shaking
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2005, 08:48:44 PM »
Hiya Janey

Could it be ear mites?  I wouldn't have thought it would be grass seeds cause when Scooby had them in one ear last week he was really hanging his head to one side and crying, so I knew.

Hope you've got the problem sorted - let us know  :)
Love Joanne, Misty & Scooby

Sue H

Head Shaking
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2005, 09:03:56 PM »
We recently took Bramble to the Vet's because he had been scratching and shaking his head for a couple of weeks (since he was clipped, although no hanging of the head in either direction|).

I had cleaned his ears with Leo and tried to see in (but ...)

The Vet said that they simply looked a bit red down deep with a bit of wax, so he has got Canaural drops for the next 7 days .....

Spaniels' ears are complete dustbins and if you ask me are designed to pick up rubbish and dump it so that the pharmaceutical industry stays alive !!!  Aaaaargh!

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
Head Shaking
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2005, 10:25:37 PM »
Hi There

Well Jessie hasnt been shaking her head as much today but I took her the vets anyway!  :)

Her left ear must be sore cos she didnt want the vet to look down it  :( . However her right ear is very waxy and its quite deep. Her left isnt so waxy but is red and sore so she had a painkilling injection, 10 days of antibiotics and some canaural drops.

Im to take her back on weds and they may sedate her to clean them out! I think this could be a bit much and am gona say I dont want them to do that if she doesnt seem distressed. Id rather try drops for longer!  ;)  For a doggie whose not yet two she has already has 3 operations and I think a 4th needs to be some time in the future!!

Cheers

Jane

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Head Shaking
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2005, 10:31:32 PM »
Glad its not a seed Jane - hope the antibi's and drops do the trick  ;)

Give her a big hug xxxxxxxxxxx
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"