Author Topic: Vet's told me not to use thornit powder  (Read 19693 times)

Offline EmmaRose

• Donator
Vet's told me not to use thornit powder
« on: September 28, 2015, 09:25:25 PM »
Our labs had to go to the vets last week about their ears (they have a slight ear infection possibly caused by the change in temperature) and I mentioned that I clean their ears using a cleanser and apply a bit of thornit powder.  I also do this for Pippa and Rory.  Our vet was really not happy about it! He said he'd never heard of thornit (I know it's not a vet product) and told me to never put powder in a dogs ears as it can cause them to block up etc... His words were "there's a reason vets don't prescribe powders" and basically said it was a waste of time using it  :-\  He recommended an different ear cleanser for the labs (and charged £50 for it and the consultation!) and told me to stop using thornit altogether.  I'm not sure I agree as we've never had any problems caused by using it.  I know lots of people use thornit and recommend it - I've also read the sticky on here...

I might be wrong but I can't help but feel his opinion was because it isn't a product they sell? I wondered if anyone else has had this opinion from their vet? 
Emma, Pippa & Rory x

Offline Emilyoliver

Re: Vet's told me not to use thornit powder
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 09:58:45 PM »
I use all sorts of things am sure my vet wouldn't approve of - purple spray and thornits being 2. Also use piriton for nettle stings. When one of my dogs was stung by something I gave him piriton and mentioned it to my vet. He wasn't best pleased and insisted he needed a steroid injection. He had one, but am not convinced it was totally necessary. I do like my vet, though, and trust his opinion on most serious things.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 10:40:13 PM »
I am a recent convert to Thornit.  One of my dogs had a yeast ear infection that had been refusing to clear up for two months and had cost us 600 euros in ongoing tests and treatment and cleansers.  Then another started itching and had mucky ears.  I decided as a last resort to try Thornit and after just two days both dogs were cured.  I certainly won't be stopping using it.  I just won't tell my French vet who after our conversation last month about the "dangerous" raw food I feed my dogs might flip out completely!

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 11:54:32 PM »
Thornit is based on Iodoform, an antiseptic discovered in 1880 which was used to great effect in the treatment of wounds during the various wars going on at the time and remained in general use throughout both world wars until superseded by antibiotics.

It has long been used in the treatment of ear problems in dogs and was discussed in some detail on COL in 2006

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=22427.0

So. It's been around a lot longer than your vet has, still performs a valuable function and doesn't contribute to the over-use of antibiotics.

Maybe your vet could do with a bit of a history lesson  ;)

Bob.

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 08:28:29 AM »
Worth noting.....you shouldn't put thornits down the ear canal, it's should be dusted "around" the ears after they have been cleaned. I have used it for five years, I still have the same bottle.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 08:42:42 AM »
Well, he would say that wouldn't he?  :dunno:

Thornit has been used for many years by thousands of dog owners to great effect.  I have used it on Coco for 10 years and recommended it to numerous people who have found it worked when nothing else had.  It often does a better job than the stuff you get from the vet, and for a fraction of the price  :-\

I once took it in to show my vet who had also never heard of it and he said that it contained some of the similar ingredients to the stuff they use but was much cheaper.  He didn't have a problem with it if used correctly.

I have learned over the years that vets do not know everything and so I do my research and then make my own decision.  Many vets are against raw feeding despite plenty of evidence to the contrary - nothing to do with them trying to sell you expensive, dry dog food then  :shades:  :005:

I have also used essential oils, homeopathic remedies etc and never had a problem - I am happy with the stuff I use and, if I think the vet might disapprove then I just don't tell them.  In fact my vet is really good and even if they do not agree, they do know that I have done my homework and have very good reasons for using the things I do.

If you want to use Thornit and you find it works, then it is entirely up to you what you use.  The vet is there to advise, not to dictate how you care for your dog.
Julie and Watson

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 09:03:43 AM »
 Also when vets are tied into contracts with the larger vet groups of practices, I imagine they are expected to promote whatever that group tells him/her in order to maximise profits, be it food medication or whatever, otherwise why would they charge £12 for prescriptions when you want  to get medications/food cheaper off the net?

Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline aliceandlouis

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 09:46:21 AM »
Also when vets are tied into contracts with the larger vet groups of practices, I imagine they are expected to promote whatever that group tells him/her in order to maximise profits, be it food medication or whatever, otherwise why would they charge £12 for prescriptions when you want  to get medications/food cheaper off the net?

I guess they charge because it takes them time to write it out and as a professional person with a business to run they are entitled to charge? :dunno:  Prescription only medicines (POMs) are not 'governed' by vets - that is a decision taken by another authority altogether - so one way or another you have to have the say so of a trained prescriber.  I think you will find that many GP's now charge for medical reports should a patient request them, so I see no difference personally.  As humans we are protected from knowing the real cost of medicines because of the standard prescription charges and healthcare that is free at the point of delivery.

I am sure there are lots of ways in which vets are encouraged to 'sell' products to their patient's owners (and my hunch is that the larger vet groups with a national presence might be the worst offenders here) but we can all say no.  I'm with Joules here - do what you feel is right for your dog, based on your own research and if you know it will antagonise your vet work on the principle if they don't ask, don't tell!

EmmaRose, I hope your labs' ears improve soon - and as Ollie Nathan's Mum says, Thornits dusted around, but not in, the ear canal may well be the answer to their prayers (and you could then honestly tell your vet that you haven't put anything down their ear canal ;)) - seems his advice wasn't wrong, but demonstrated a lack of knowledge about Thornits and how it is used?

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 10:23:20 AM »
Have used Thornits for years, only use one twice a year if catch a wiff.
Can't see how much powder could go down ear canal, I dab it on cotton wool ball and place around top are above actual entrance.......as per COler post once - you get the smell put not much powder.

Hope you labs are soon better, maybe labs ears are a bit different entrance wise than cockers and vet think more could go down............or he is thinking of money :005:

Julie
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline EmmaRose

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 11:04:23 AM »
Thank you all for your replies :D

We usually apply it using a small paintbrush (they each have a different coloured one) , as mentioned, to the area around the ear canal but not in. He is an excellent vet who has looked after all the dogs my family has ever had but I am going to continue to use Thornit as part of their routine and just not mention it in the future! 

Thanks again for the advice  :D
Emma, Pippa & Rory x

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 11:40:42 AM »
Thank you all for your replies :D

We usually apply it using a small paintbrush (they each have a different coloured one) , as mentioned, to the area around the ear canal but not in. He is an excellent vet who has looked after all the dogs my family has ever had but I am going to continue to use Thornit as part of their routine and just not mention it in the future! 

Thanks again for the advice  :D

A good idea, if on the whole you are happy with him, be a pity to upset things when it can be avoided.  ;)
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.