Author Topic: Ovary Sparing Spay?  (Read 2087 times)

Offline FrankieBlue

Ovary Sparing Spay?
« on: March 29, 2017, 04:39:37 AM »
Hi all!

Today I read an article in a holistic dog magazine here in North America on ovary sparing spay, whereby the female would only have her uterus removed (rather than both ovaries and uterus). For males, it would be similar to a vasectomy. The article states that this is the new "right way to go" as leaving dogs intact with the ability to produce the appropriate hormones will allow them to live longer, healthier lives, though you are still taking away their ability to reproduce.

Has anyone else heard of this? Is it popular in other areas of the world (as it certainly is not so popular here it seems)? Is there anything to this, or total hogwash? I have to wonder if this would stop ones coat from changing after being spayed/neutered. I mean, if it did truly contribute to longer healthier lives that would be fantastic... I'm just a wee bit skeptical.

Any input is much appreciated [emoji4] thank you as always!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mari

• Site Member
Re: Ovary Sparing Spay?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 09:29:25 AM »
Removing the ovaries and keeping the uterus I get, smaller surgery and all the health benefits because the hormones are gone. Removing the uterus and keeping the ovaries (and hormones) however...That would not reduce the risk of mammary tumors or ovarian tumors. You would still have the risk of stump pyometra, and the surgery would still be big. That makes no sense to me. If you are going to put the dog through the risk of surgery, then get all the benefits at least. So I share your scepticism!

And my girl has the worst case of spayed dog coat, and she is adorable  :005:

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 09:45:52 AM »
Having never owned a bitch I don't have a formed opinion or advice, but since I know ovaries are often left in humans after a hysterectomy I had a little google.  ph34r This article is interesting and contains some useful links (including a video of the actual procedure).

https://www.parsemusfoundation.org/projects/ovary-sparing-spray/

As with most things regarding neutering it seems to be a question of deciding which (for you) is the greater perceived risk.

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 12:27:07 PM »
I too liked the sound of the ovary-sparing spay and spoke to my vet about it (for when Jess our GR puppy is old enough) and she was NOT in favour at all!! >:(  Removing the ovaries and keeping the uterus is fairly common now as it is a much smaller operation and has a far quicker recovery time.  I asked about the risk of pyometra as the uterus is retained and she told me that it is often caused by the hormones so by removing the ovaries then the risk is far reduced.  So we have decided to go for the ovarian spay only when the time comes.

Offline FrankieBlue

Ovary Sparing Spay?
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 03:56:32 PM »
Thank you all for your comments! Wouldn't it be nice if it were just this perfect much over looked solution? It seems quite controversial, I'm surprised to hear that it's gained popularity. I'd definitely heard of the increased popularity of ovariectomy, but never really questioned the potential consequences of removing their ability to produce hormones. Unfortunately it is certainly not the perfect solution some have made it out to be! Comes with considerable risk in fact.

Archiebean, thank you for the article. It seems as though they have found this is mostly significant for larger breeds, lucky for us.

Mari, I share your thoughts exactly! Especially on how adorable your girl is [emoji7]

Piph, another heated question coming your way! Please forgive me [emoji5] did your vet recommend spay before 1st season, or after? My big fear is pyo, so if removing the ovaries is not only a less invasive procedure but reduces risk for pyo it sounds like a much better option.

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 04:50:38 PM »
Yes, removing the ovaries will reduce the risk of pyo even if you keep the uterus. It is the hormone cycle and progesterone produced by the ovaries that create conditions predisposing for pyometra.

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 11:36:21 AM »

Piph, another heated question coming your way! Please forgive me [emoji5] did your vet recommend spay before 1st season, or after? My big fear is pyo, so if removing the ovaries is not only a less invasive procedure but reduces risk for pyo it sounds like a much better option.

Ha, another contentious issue  :shades:  I asked the same question - she said that they would recommend spaying before the first season, however, it was fine to do it after - about 3 months after, to be more precise!  Our first GR girl had bi-lateral hip dysplasia, and her hips were being operated on at around the 6 months mark, so we had her spayed after her first season, and she was fine.  Our second we also had spayed after her first season, but during her season her nipples enlarged and became quite baggy, and that never really went away - something that obviously wouldn't have happened had we had her done before her first season.  So we are still to decide whe to have Jess done - pros and cons of before versus after need to be carefully considered I think.

Offline FrankieBlue

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2017, 07:05:28 PM »
A contentious issue indeed!! Wouldn't it be lovely if the answers to these questions were a tad more black and white? Certainly there is much to be carefully considered, and made all the more complicated as all of us only want the best for our pups. Good luck to you guys when the time comes :)

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 03:07:55 PM »
A contentious issue indeed!! Wouldn't it be lovely if the answers to these questions were a tad more black and white? Certainly there is much to be carefully considered, and made all the more complicated as all of us only want the best for our pups. Good luck to you guys when the time comes :)

Thanks!