Author Topic: Split heartbeat  (Read 407 times)

Offline Golden Blue

Split heartbeat
« on: August 24, 2017, 07:33:46 AM »
Good morning, I took Cleo who is 4 1/2 for her annual booster the other day and the vet asked if anyone had ever mentioned a split heartbeat after examining her.  They haven't and she's been in plenty of times due to other health issues. 
Does anyone else's cocker have this?  The vet said they will listen again in a couple of weeks and take blood samples and then will be able to put her on medication to combat future heart problems as cockers are particularly prone to them.
Thanks,
Kelly

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Split heartbeat
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 01:20:23 PM »
I've never heard of it to be honest but I'm not very clued up on the terminology, - our vet discovered recently that Humphrey (2) has what he called (in German) heart "sounds" and we have to go back to have it checked again.  I've spoken to quite a few people who' s dogs have had heart mumures, not sure if that's the same thing (?), and they all seem to be living to good ages. There was a similar thread on here recently aswell and there are several on here with heart conditions.
Hope Cleo's condition isn't anything serious and that it's manageable, please keep us updated, I'd be interested to hear what the vet says on your next visit.
All the best!

Offline PennyB

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 11:28:38 PM »
I would be asking your vet more about it as well - may be get a referral if you're not happy with their answer as you need to ask how 'qualified' your own vet is to make the diagnosis they have.

Hope all goes well

Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Guelder Rose

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 05:24:47 PM »
There are some articles about a 'split heartbeat' that can be obtained via a google search.

Whether or not medication is needed, I would personally opt for a referral to a cardiologist.  I did this with my Grace and the cardiologist agreed with the diagnosis that my vet had made - but as I see it, the cardiologist is at the front of new research, new drugs, new methods of treatment, etc - whereas my regular vet is more like my GP.  My vet was happy for the referral and when drugs are needed he will then be working alongside the cardiologist when it comes to treatment options - this will hopefully ensure that Grace gets the best treatment and that no omissions or mistakes are made.