Author Topic: Raisin Toxicity  (Read 6209 times)

Penel

Raisin Toxicity
« on: January 11, 2006, 05:20:05 PM »
I am sure some of you know about this already but I thought it was best to post this just in case....
My setter Lola is a thief - big-time - she has mastered the art of counter surfing better than any dog I know. Last night while I was out dog training with Hattie - she stole a loaf of sunflower seed bread, off the top of the toaster at the back of the worksurface. She also knocked off an airtight jar, one of those ones with the metal ring fastening, which was half full of mixed nuts and raisins.....opened it and ate all the nuts and raisins - now Tilly and Barley were here too - so we are hoping that they all shared the booty - but Lola was the only one that looked like a balloon. OH rang me at training and I came straight home - was very worried about torsion - I tried to make her vomit, using soda crystals but it didn't work - the vet said most likely the food was all too far down the system to vomit it up - all dogs slept like logs all night long, and none of them have diarrhoea or vomiting today..... have spoken to several vets at length - poisons unit have been consulted - as most of you will know raisins are toxic to dogs, even in small quantities.... as we don't know who ate what or how much of it, for now I am monitoring all the dogs all the time so that if there is the slightest sign of a problem they will go straight to the vets and be put on a drip. Raisin toxicity can be fatal, or cause extensive kidney damage...  
As you can imagine I am extremely stressed - and basically sitting here watching them, and cursing Lola - and myself for not clearing the worksurfaces......... please everyone - don't feed your dogs raisins - they are the third most common cause of poisoning in dogs, after chocolate and onions...

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Raisin Toxicity
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 05:27:14 PM »
My Dallas is exactly the same and he is barely 15" tall. I'd love to know how he does it but it is such a worry.  I hope Lola did share the goodies and fingers crossed they are all ok.  Do you know how long the danger period is and at what point you can actually relax if they don't show any symptoms?
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Raisin Toxicity
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 05:43:16 PM »
Oh dear...so sorry to hear you have this worry  :( ...got everything crossed that they will all be ok Penel  xxxxx
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
Raisin Toxicity
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 06:02:31 PM »
Oh Penel :( .....I have everything crossed that things with the dogs are okay what a worry for you.

Let us know.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
Raisin Toxicity
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 06:22:50 PM »
My mother in law buys bags of wild bird food with lots of raisins in, every morning her cocker would rush out to the garden and disappear for a good 15 minutes, then would reappear.  For a week he had awful diarhhoea and sickness, she couldn't figure out what was wrong, he ended up really ill, in the vets on drips etc.  found out it was raisin poisoning, he had been eating all the fruit from the wild bird food......I had warned her time and time again, but she didn't think it could do any harm. :unsure:

Thankfully he has made a full recovery, but it was touch and go for a good while.

Fingers crossed for you.

Offline Woody's Mum

• Site Member
  • ''The dog is the god of frolic''
Raisin Toxicity
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 06:31:35 PM »
I didn't know about Raisins being poisonous, or onions.

Thanks Penel, my two have never had either of these (through luck it seems) but I will be sure they never come within reach of them again.

Fingers crossed that your lot will come through this unscathed.   :)
With Love, Toni & Woody xx

www.myspace.com/tonitee

Offline hawkins

• Site Member
Raisin Toxicity
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 07:35:00 PM »
Think about you all!! Hope everythings alright.

Offline Mich

• Site Member
  • Bailey come back!
Raisin Toxicity
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 07:37:51 PM »
I hope they are ok, keep posting xxxxxxxxx
  Mich, Bailey and Poppy xxxxx

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
Raisin Toxicity
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006, 07:41:55 PM »
Penel, I hope everything is OK.  How long will you have to wait until you know they're OK?

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Raisin Toxicity
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2006, 07:58:31 PM »
Oh poor you, inventive dogs huh. How long do you have to wait?

Fingers crossed - it's good you posted this to highlight the dangers, I just hope everything is ok. :(
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Penel

Raisin Toxicity
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2006, 07:59:05 PM »
Hi all - the vets said that *usually* they show signs within 6 - 24 hours but it can be up to 3 days afterwards - to be honest I don't think they really know as it is still quite a "new" type of poisoning.  The vets at my practice didn't know anything about it until I told them, and then they phoned the poisons unit and found out more.... thankfully I did know about it, from reading about it on various doggy forums - so I knew as soon as OH told me that it could be a big problem  :(

anyway now its over 24 hours later and they are all still completely fine - so I am hoping we have got away with it.

I am currently reorganising the kitchen  ;)

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
Raisin Toxicity
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2006, 08:09:32 PM »
Hi all - the vets said that *usually* they show signs within 6 - 24 hours but it can be up to 3 days afterwards - to be honest I don't think they really know as it is still quite a "new" type of poisoning.  The vets at my practice didn't know anything about it until I told them, and then they phoned the poisons unit and found out more.... thankfully I did know about it, from reading about it on various doggy forums - so I knew as soon as OH told me that it could be a big problem  :(

anyway now its over 24 hours later and they are all still completely fine - so I am hoping we have got away with it.

I am currently reorganising the kitchen  ;)
[snapback]174543[/snapback]

I have my fingers crossed for you and the dogs Penel :)  :)

I've posted about this before ( rasins being bad, I only new because my breeder told me and I read it on here) I started a list about things that are poisonus to dogs after I was  in the vets and saw a man from training whose boxer had eaten a whole 10/12 " christmas cake :o which was full of raisins...............he is fine now but he wasn't well..........but the sickness came on almost immdeialtly so I hope like you said you have got away with it.

Offline Annette

• Site Member
Raisin Toxicity
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2006, 10:13:43 PM »
Do hope they are ok, and that you will be able to relax soon. Such a worry. But it can so easily happen.

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
Raisin Toxicity
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2006, 10:54:51 PM »
Everything crossed here Penel that the dogs are fine, and you dont have to worry for too much longer  :)
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline lyn

• Site Member
Raisin Toxicity
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2006, 12:08:15 AM »
hope they are all ok.paddy gave me a fright last week.he stole half a malt loaf and they are full of raisins.he was fine with no effects at all :)