Author Topic: Raisin Toxicity  (Read 6212 times)

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Raisin Toxicity
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2006, 07:39:05 AM »
It's been reported that the effect in some dogs can be cumulative, and it's not known why. Personally, if it were a major food group and of vital nutritional substance to dogs' diets, I'd see your point. But, I don't think either are the case here.

All our vets advise against raisins, and it seems pointless to feed them to me considering they *may* cause problems down the line. Kidney failure in later years maybe?

You also say dogs are individuals and can tolerate different amounts before anything becoming lethal - very true, so surely it's even more important to ensure other dogs with less tolerance than yours are aware of the problem.
[snapback]174881[/snapback]

I don't know whether deaths are caused by a chemical given off in the break down of ingested raisins which induces kidney failure or that it is an  anaphatic shock brought about by a raisin allergy or some other reason, but kidney failure in later life is much more likely to have another trigger than that of raisins.

We are all better informed having read about these things, but I still believe that these things are so rare that they pose little risk to the general  healthy dog population.
[snapback]174939[/snapback]

That's the point though, we don't know. Considering some are thinking it's cumulative in SOME cases, and therefore it could show no signs then appear, it seems risky to me to feed a dog raisins unless it's VITAL for health abne welll being.

I also believe the reason is we know more about these things, and that's why poisonings are being more attributed to what causes them - years ago we wouldn't have.

Absolutely it's personal choice - but given what's been written about the dangers it's not a choice I'd take.
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline LoveCatz

• Site Member
Raisin Toxicity
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2006, 08:24:50 AM »
I've only just read this and I'm so glad they are all OK. I knew that our chocolate was poisonous to dogs but not rsisins which we don't tend to have in the house. Onion? I'm always using onions and when I drop a bit whilst chopping (invariabley every time  :rolleyes: ) it is quickly snaffled up by one or both dogs. That's quite worrying.  :(

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Raisin Toxicity
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2006, 01:27:24 PM »
I cannot access the UK poisons unit / Vet Centre for info as I am not authorised to do so.

The only info I can find in circulation is by th ASPCA animal poison control centre USA which states it has evidence of 10 dogs on their database who had ingested large amounts of either raisins (5 dogs) or grapes (5 dogs). 8 of the cases were reported between 1999 and March 2001. The estimated amount of raisins or grapes was known in 4 dogs and ranged between 9oz and 2 lb.
There were various clinical symptoms in the 10 cases but only vomiting occurred in all cases and began with the first few hours of ingestion.
2 of the dogs died, 3 were euthanised because of poor response to treatment and 5 dogs recovered with aggressive treatment.

They were unable to find a cause for the  renal failure in these dogs despite extensive testing.

Anya the 5yr old Vizsla died from eating 500gms of raisins
Magoo died after eating 1 lb of raisins
McGee the 9 yr old Sheltie died after eating 18oz of raisins

The condition can be treated successfully if prompt and agressive treatment is given.

My own Vet practice has never had a single case, although they have read literature on it.

Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Nimbus

• Site Member
Raisin Toxicity
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2006, 07:10:10 PM »
Basil seems to not have this problem, my mum fed him a huge bowl of bread and butter pudding  :rolleyes: with raisins in, and he had no problems, though I've told her since that if she insists on feeding pudding to the dog to take his raisins out first, he also eats bits of onion. He's eaten quite a few grapes in a sitting before too, and not seemed to have any problems, though, again, this won't be repeated.

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Raisin Toxicity
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2006, 11:35:08 PM »

I  think it's something that goes against veterinary advice, as evidenced here.

Some dogs may have more of a sensitivity than others, so why do you feel so storngly that the risk is worth taking, are there benefits to feeding raisins?

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
Raisin Toxicity
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2006, 11:03:44 AM »
I  think it's something that goes against veterinary advice, as evidenced here.

Some dogs may have more of a sensitivity than others, so why do you feel so storngly that the risk is worth taking, are there benefits to feeding raisins?
[snapback]175340[/snapback]

It's not a case of feeling strongly, it's putting things into perspective. If your dog is suspected of eating large amounts of raisins as in Penel's case then it is very important to seek veterinary help promptly as raisin toxicity is a real threat, but so is chocolate, onions,garlic to a lesser degree, raw eggs, mushrooms, cooked bones and raw bones (again to a lesser degree) ,baby food, large amounts of broccoli, all parts of tomato plant, certain fruit pips,nutmeg,coffee, tea, alcohol,animal fats, excessive salt, avocados,macadamia nuts and walnuts, moldy or spoilt food, table scraps containing any of the afore mentioned ingredients, potato peelings and green looking ones, products sweetened with xylitol, the list is endless....
They are even investigating deaths were febreze and conditioner cloths for the tumble dryer are suspected as the cause, due to the chemicals in them.

How many of these things have our dogs been subjected to all of which have also caused death to a dog and yet raisins are singled out.

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Raisin Toxicity
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2006, 05:27:32 PM »
I  think it's something that goes against veterinary advice, as evidenced here.

[snapback]175340[/snapback]

It's not a case of feeling strongly, it's putting things into perspective. If your dog is suspected of eating large amounts of raisins as in Penel's case then it is very important to seek veterinary help promptly as raisin toxicity is a real threat, but so is chocolate, onions,garlic to a lesser degree, raw eggs, mushrooms, cooked bones and raw bones (again to a lesser degree) ,baby food, large amounts of broccoli, all parts of tomato plant, certain fruit pips,nutmeg,coffee, tea, alcohol,animal fats, excessive salt, avocados,macadamia nuts and walnuts, moldy or spoilt food, table scraps containing any of the afore mentioned ingredients, potato peelings and green looking ones, products sweetened with xylitol, the list is endless....
They are even investigating deaths were febreze and conditioner cloths for the tumble dryer are suspected as the cause, due to the chemicals in them.

How many of these things have our dogs been subjected to all of which have also caused death to a dog and yet raisins are singled out.
[snapback]175373[/snapback]

Raisins aren't singled out at all- they have been here because you are saying your dog is ok with them. I'm just saying they SOME dogs might not be, as I think it's not a good idea to let people think they are ok.

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
Raisin Toxicity
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2006, 07:34:46 PM »
I agree wholeheartedly Shona.

Penel

Raisin Toxicity
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2006, 01:05:37 AM »
Raisins are singled out in this thread because three of my dogs ate about 100 grams between them ....... the poisons unit told my vets that raisin toxicity was the third most common poisoning after chocolate and onions - I am only hoping that people will learn from my awful worrying few days - thankfully we have got away with it as all the dogs seem to be fine still ........  I think a lot of people just don't realise that raisins can be toxic to dogs - hopefully now, people reading this will do.  :)   Raisins are definitely not something essential to a dog's diet.

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
Raisin Toxicity
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2006, 12:22:12 PM »
I know why raisins are the issue in this post.
Just think you are missing my point.
I HAVE always agreed on informed choices and yes people should be aware of substances that are toxic to dogs, but put these things into perspective, these poisionings are rare.
It's scaremongering to say these things shouldn't even be touched as all the evidence shows that they are tolerated in small amounts, even chocolate and onions.
It's more important to make people aware of the potential dangers especially were fatalities have occurred.

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
Raisin Toxicity
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2006, 03:34:56 PM »
I would just like to say thanks Penel for highlighting this issue.  In future if my dogs pinch raisins (and none of them have .... yet), I will remember your advice.

We used to feed currents to my cav (although only very occasionally) as we used to pretend they were flies and stick them on the wall, he loved jumping around to get them (I know warped :ph34r: ).  He lived till he was 17 - are currents the same as raisins?, what about sultana's?
Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Raisin Toxicity
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2006, 04:10:50 PM »
I know why raisins are the issue in this post.
Just think you are missing my point.
I HAVE always agreed on informed choices and yes people should be aware of substances that are toxic to dogs, but put these things into perspective, these poisionings are rare.
It's scaremongering to say these things shouldn't even be touched as all the evidence shows that they are tolerated in small amounts, even chocolate and onions.
It's more important to make people aware of the potential dangers especially were fatalities have occurred.
[snapback]175565[/snapback]

No, it's actually been shown that the effects is some dogs can be cumulative, which means they are fine for 5 years of eating whatever, then could go into decline.

We also may not realise that end stage renal failure could have been caused by a weekly choc bar, and it's not attributed to diet.

I think it's irresponsible to state that it's ok for all dogs - how would anyone feel if their dog was the one reported death? Penel says that her dogs ate about 30g each maybe-but the poisons unit still toook it seriously, and it's not a large amoun.

We'll agree to disagree ;) .

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
Raisin Toxicity
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2006, 04:26:47 PM »
I would just like to say thanks Penel for highlighting this issue. 
[snapback]175586[/snapback]

Seconded!!  I have told the women that I walk with on weekday mornings about this and it turns out that one of them regularly feeds her dog grapes and raisins - she had no idea that they could be harmful - in fact she thought they were good for her dog because they are good for humans.

Needless to say - she has now stopped!  
Sarah & The Roan Rangers - Daisy Dog & Dill Boy

The average dog has one request to all humankind. Love me

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Raisin Toxicity
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2006, 07:12:10 PM »
There's a lot of info I've found on this - this site snopes, usually tells you hoax or not, and it's also promoting it as true. This link says that as few as SEVEN raisins can be dangerous.

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.asp

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
Raisin Toxicity
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2006, 08:36:55 PM »
There's a lot of info I've found on this - this site snopes, usually tells you hoax or not, and it's also promoting it as true. This link says that as few as SEVEN raisins can be dangerous.

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.asp
[snapback]175699[/snapback]

Mine defo wont be getting any EVER!