Author Topic: Vet Charges  (Read 2122 times)

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
Vet Charges
« on: February 16, 2006, 09:53:03 PM »
Ben was castrated yesterday (as if you COLaholics didn't know)  :P  , he weighs 13 kilos and it cost £129.50.  Is this an average price?  I don't mind if it worked out expensive as he had excellent care  :) Just wondered what any of you paid?

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Vet Charges
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 10:24:29 PM »
£68 up here
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Vet Charges
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 10:30:04 PM »
Just under 14 kg and £89 here in London/Surrey

And I thought that was very reasonable

Just had a re- think on that, actually not that reasonable at all as I had paid £29 three months ago for the pre op assessment, he didnt have stiches so no follow up and certainly no buster collar (£10 for that if needed)
Caroline and Alfie

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
Vet Charges
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 11:13:26 PM »
We paid about £100 a year ago for one of our dogs that was going to a new home.
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman

Offline Chrissy

• Site Member
    • Powerscourt Cocker Spaniels
Vet Charges
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 12:04:38 AM »
Hi Debbie

We had a 6 month old chap castrated two weeks ago, our vet quoted us £230 so we went to the Pet Vaccination clinic in Birmingham (bit of a drive!) and it cost £117!  He got excellent care too and I was happy with everything and glad to have saved on the bill.

Chrissy

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
Vet Charges
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 07:46:03 AM »
I paid £120.
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
Vet Charges
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 10:17:51 AM »
My two cost me just over £200 - I was expecting a BOGOF but no such luck :) .  This included an initial consultation, op, check after 2 days and stitches removed after 10 days and collars, so I thought it was a reasonable  price
Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Vet Charges
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 11:20:18 AM »
Just a heads up - vet prices will be going up gnerally - a directive from Brussels means we can't prescribe gneric drugs anymore -for instance, a commonly used antibiotic, cephalexin, must now be substituuted with ceporex which is the same drug but triple the cost. Joy. :rolleyes:
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
Vet Charges
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006, 12:57:41 PM »
£68 up here
[snapback]187589[/snapback]
Wow - less than 1/2 the price I paid!!  I did get a pre-op consultation, buster collar and antibiotics.  Not sure if the 10 day checkup is included - hope so!

for instance, a commonly used antibiotic, cephalexin, must now be substituuted with ceporex which is the same drug but triple the cost

Why on earth is this happening?  I know you say it is a directive from Brussels but what is the reasoning behind it?????

Offline taliska

• Site Member
    • Our Family
Vet Charges
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006, 01:00:50 PM »
WE had tali done recently and I think it was about £90 and excellent care, they have a price list guide in reception I think it says between £80 and £120 for castration dependent on size of dog
Sue, Steve
Twins Sam and Sophie
Cockers - Taliska & Jurra
Puddy Cats - Tigger, Frankie & Tino

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
Vet Charges
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2006, 02:40:35 PM »
I can't quite remember but I think we paid about £130 to have Spike castrated about 3 & a half years ago. (He is a bit bigger of course!!) ;)
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Vet Charges
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2006, 02:44:23 PM »
£68 up here
[snapback]187589[/snapback]
Wow - less than 1/2 the price I paid!!  I did get a pre-op consultation, buster collar and antibiotics.  Not sure if the 10 day checkup is included - hope so!

for instance, a commonly used antibiotic, cephalexin, must now be substituuted with ceporex which is the same drug but triple the cost

Why on earth is this happening?  I know you say it is a directive from Brussels but what is the reasoning behind it?????
[snapback]187725[/snapback]

found this online

Over 1,700 animal medicines have been withdrawn from the UK authorised list of 2,727 following the EEC Directive 81/851. This requires that all established medicines must be re-licensed at a cost of £15,700 per medicine and after 1998 the cost will rise to £78,800. Those that have been withdrawn are in the public domain so may be copied once someone has borne the cost of testing. Some are valuable products, such as the only vaccine against myxomatosis, but have little use so it is uneconomic to test them. (S Telegraph 4/7/93). Not only are prescription medicines covered by these rules but also flea powders, vitamins and rehydration products are also to be restricted (Vet bulletin for farmers Jan 1995). The result of the EU rules has been a massive increase in vet’s bills to pet owners. Regulations intended to prevent drug residues in meat also apply to pets such as cats and dogs. Vets cannot use cheaper generic medicines on them any more as they are not economical to license. These rules are a heavy burden on animal charities which also have to buy expensive branded medicines some of which are not so efficacious (BBC R4 You & Yours 27/7/95). The UK government may defy this regulation to protect a poultry vaccine from withdrawal (BBC R4 Farming Programme). The ban on minority drugs for animals contrasts with the leniency for drugs for minority human diseases. Special rules are proposed by the EC to encourage the pharmaceutical industry to develop products for rare diseases. There will be market exclusivity for so called orphan drugs. Firms will pay reduced fees to register their products with the European Medicines Evaluation Agency. (E Voice 9/7/98)

Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
Vet Charges
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2006, 03:24:06 PM »
Thanks - took a bit of reading but i think it answered my question  :P If I have it right - the re-licensing is too expensive for the cheaper products?  Someone somewhere will make a lot of money out of this licensing  B)

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Vet Charges
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2006, 03:36:21 PM »

I was charged just over £100 for Jimmy to be neutered, my own vet (at that time) had quoted over £200. I've heard of one vet here in London charging £275 to castrate a Norfolk Terrier !

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Vet Charges
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2006, 03:42:59 PM »
I was charged just over £100 for Jimmy to be neutered, my own vet (at that time) had quoted over £200. I've heard of one vet here in London charging £275 to castrate a Norfolk Terrier !
[snapback]187807[/snapback]

Probably cos it was done under a microscope ;)
Caroline and Alfie