Author Topic: Buddy...Well, to be frank, he smells awful!  (Read 6250 times)

Offline lyn

• Site Member
Re: Buddy...Well, to be frank, he smells awful!
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2006, 12:17:49 PM »
if it's not a foul smell then it could well be a yeast infection.my oes was forever getting them.i reckon i kept the manufacturers of the malosab(sp) in buisness for years :005:my vet used to love seeing us come through the doors coz he loved the smell the yeast gave off :lol: :lol:

Offline PennyB

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2006, 02:03:26 PM »
if it's not a foul smell then it could well be a yeast infection.my oes was forever getting them.i reckon i kept the manufacturers of the malosab(sp) in buisness for years :005:my vet used to love seeing us come through the doors coz he loved the smell the yeast gave off :lol: :lol:

I think this is what Wilf gets on his ears and feet sometimes
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2006, 06:42:00 PM »
Well we went, and to be honest it was a bit of a waste of time. It wasn't our favourite vet unfortunately so apart from being nearly £70 lighter, and now having a bottle of Malaseb and a tube of Logic Gel (my request) we are no nearer finding the cause or a solution to the pong-monster.

Firstly the vet didn't bother with any preliminaries just dived straight in. Buddy didn't take too kindly to it all and I am now thinking that we may need to neuter him sometime after all. She had to put a soft muzzle on him in the end so that she could sniff all over him. Mind you I was the only one offering treats!

She felt that one ear smelt very slightly but wasn't convinced it was the source of THE smell. His skin is all dry and intact as far as we could see. His lip folds are clean and look "pretty good for a cocker", his paws weren't especially smelly. She did say that some dogs are just a bit farty. But I would recognise that smell!! ;)

She emptied his anal glands which were a bit full (his poos have been a bit looser lately) but again, not infected.

She suggested I try weekly Malaseb baths just in case that's the cause. She described the smell as slightly yeasty. So it might do the trick. Other than that, I guess I just keep on doing what we do and hope it clears up.

I am relieved that at least she didn't tell me to stop him swimming, I don't think we could to be honest!

Re the Malaseb. Does anyone know if I can use the "scrunchy" method to apply it? Or is it best to apply it directly. I have read the instructions and all it says is to apply it to certain spots and work it in all over. But since discovering the "scrunchy method" I much prefer to do that.

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2006, 06:45:06 PM »
Hope the Malaseb helps Annette ;)  £70 is very expensive, how much is the consultation fee?

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2006, 07:00:47 PM »
Annette - whats he fed on??  You dont think the manufacturers have altered the ingredients without notice and this may be the cause??   Just a thougth  ;) 
Sarah & The Roan Rangers - Daisy Dog & Dill Boy

The average dog has one request to all humankind. Love me

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2006, 07:08:19 PM »
Annette, don't see why you can't use the scrunchie method as long as you massage it right into his skin.  As you know I have been using this on Coco and have had to dilute it in order to get it all over her as it is rather thick >:(.  I would dilute it, apply it with scrunchie and then give him a good massage all over.  He will probably  enjoy all that the smelly little devil  :005:
Julie and Watson

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2006, 07:10:53 PM »
Annette - whats he fed on??  You dont think the manufacturers have altered the ingredients without notice and this may be the cause??   Just a thougth  ;) 

Burns! Anyone else noticed a change in the food?

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2006, 07:12:15 PM »
I haven't noticed a change.  Coco seems to find her poo just as delicious as ever  :005:
Julie and Watson

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2006, 07:13:43 PM »
  Coco seems to find her poo just as delicious as ever  :005:

Oh well thats good to know - glad she's still enjoying it  :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1:

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2006, 07:16:46 PM »
Hope the Malaseb helps Annette ;)  £70 is very expensive, how much is the consultation fee?

We are in Berkshire. Everything seems to be expensive here! Comes of having HRH as a neighbour perhaps? :005:

I did buy a kong too at £4.50. Consultation was £25, but £13.50 to express the anal glands! Hey Ho!!

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2006, 07:18:40 PM »

I did buy a kong too at £4.50. Consultation was £25, but £13.50 to express the anal glands! Hey Ho!!

Ahhh I forgot about the anal squeeze, its the same as my vets then Annette, £25 for a consultation ;)

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2006, 07:24:58 PM »
OK, slightly deviating off track here, but what is the scrunchie method, I am intrigued?

Hope you get mr. whiffy sorted soon.  ;)

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2006, 07:36:44 PM »
OK, slightly deviating off track here, but what is the scrunchie method, I am intrigued?

This is the 'scrunchie method'

linky   ;) ;) 

Its a dark art this cocker ownership  :005: :005:

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2006, 09:28:55 PM »
Sorry to hear you haven't got the the source of the smell - I hope the shampoo helps ;)

Firstly the vet didn't bother with any preliminaries just dived straight in. Buddy didn't take too kindly to it all and I am now thinking that we may need to neuter him sometime after all. She had to put a soft muzzle on him in the end so that she could sniff all over him. Mind you I was the only one offering treats!

Don't do it just because he got narky with a vet with unrealisitc expectations and a poor bedside manner  ::)

I was mortified when the vet/nurses labelled Molo as snappy; he had to be muzzled for his stitch removal and KC vaccine  ::) Eventually, I had an appointment with the Senior Partner, who reassured me that Molo was perfectly normal ,and far better than some of their clients  ph34r
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2006, 01:56:19 PM »
Normally you leave the malaseb on for ten minuts after applying, which makes it work btter. Indie had some for pyoderma - I hated the leaving it on bit!

Can't believe £13.50 for anal glands, we charg £4.50!

Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)