Author Topic: Scabby skin  (Read 1128 times)

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Scabby skin
« on: July 18, 2007, 05:54:32 PM »
The title says it all really  :lol:  We had a dog in today that was hoaching with fleas so I gave the dogs a very thorough check and Aspen has loads of what I can only describe as scabs on his back and sides with a few on his tummy. He has had fleas before courtesy of work  ::) and has never had this before so don't think its a flea bite allergy  :-\ or is it  :huh:. I found no fleas or flea dirt on him. He doesn't appear overly itchy. Anybody any ideas what it could be?  He is off to the vets tomorrow night but just thought I'd see if anyone had experienced something similar
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline LesleyW

• Site Member
Re: Scabby skin
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 05:59:05 PM »
harvest mites??  "Walking Dandruff"? (is it Chlietella or something - sorry spelling not right!)
 ph34r

Offline *Lucy*

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 06:08:04 PM »
Molly has a few on her back and sides!! I think they are from playing with Honey.

Honey gets over excited and she starts mouthing Molly and because of her puppy teeth being so sharp she is actually puncturing Mollys skin!!

Could Harlem be doing the same to Aspen?

My Girls - Molly & Honey

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 06:17:42 PM »
George had this last year after our summer hol in Wales. It turned out that a friend of my friends who was staying at the farm aswell NEVER treats his dog for fleas. So my lot were scratching and we think it was mites aswell as fleas >:( , but George was the only one with scabs and it turned into a skin infection ph34r

The chap ended up having to spend £100 treating his house and  dog and my friends dogs in the end ::)

but it could be as Lucy says... ;)

Zen Dog...he knows not where he is going, for the ocean will decide. Its not the destination....its the glory of the ride.

Offline MrsMac

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 08:34:18 PM »
How strange - I was going to start a thread tonight about Melly's scabby skin.  I felt a little lump above her right hip last night and I thought I was a tick but its a little scab.  She's also got a similar dry crusty scab on her cheek and she's lost some hairs from her lower lip.  Come to think of it she's been 'swimming on the carpet' lots over the last week so she must be itchy  :-\  She was frontlined at the end of June so I think we're due a trip to the V.E.T.

I changed her food from JWB to Naturediet back in May as she had constant diahorrea and since then she's been fine *touch wood* so I hope its not that. 

Whatever next? ?

Hope you discover what Apsen has and he's ok soon  :-*
Mairi & Melody
Melody

Friends are the angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 06:11:02 PM »
Well that was a waste of time  ::) Apparently he has a mild allergy due to the time of year  :huh:, but no treatment will be required. He does however have an ear infection, lip fold dermatitis and impacted anal glands.  On the walk home, I suddenly wondered if this could be dietary? I changed their food about 4-6 weeks ago so am going to put him back onto arden grange and see if it helps  :-\
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline MrsMac

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 07:11:43 PM »
Melody has smelly lips too and I bathe them regularly in that shampoo from the vets that I can't remember the name of  ::)  I had to use some Thornits in her ears last week for the 2nd time in her life, I wonder if she's got the same thing.  I called the vet today and couldn't get an appointment until Tuesday next week so we'll soldier on.  I'm wondering - when you change their diets - how long should you wait before everything gets back to normal?  Its about 8 weeks since I changed Melody onto Nature Diet and that doesn't seem like a long time in the grand scale of things.

Funnily enough my daughter (9) got up this morning and her right eye was all red and swollen.  She looked likes she'd been in a boxing ring with Mike Tyson  :o  I took her to the doctor this afternoon and the first thing the GP said was she thought it might be a grass seed!!   :005:  Turns out its an allergic reaction to something - we don't know what. 

Poor Aspen, I wonder if changing his diet will help - be interesting to find out what happens.  Sending smelly lip fold kisses from Melody  :-* :-*
Mairi & Melody
Melody

Friends are the angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly