Author Topic: To boost or not to boost. Are we wasting our money?  (Read 6255 times)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: To boost or not to boost. Are we wasting our money?
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2007, 09:09:00 AM »
Errrrmmm, you all are aware that vaccinated dogs can still be carriers of disease? That the point of vaccine is to stimulate the immune system so it "knows" how to fight that particular disease, that a dog can be exposed to, and become a carrier of a disease, but not develop it? That an unvaccinated dog is no more or less likely to be a carrier than a vaccinated one? All the vaccines do is give immunity to developing the disease (hopefully--I have seen Parvo and KC vaccine fail enough times to lack confidence) if exposed, but does not create a golden bubble around the dog where it cannot also pass it along.

That does depend on the way in which the virus is transmitted; otherwise there would be no scientific basis to explain the reduction in deaths of unvaccinated puppies from these diseases :huh:

As you say, vaccination does not prevent a dog contracting a virus, which is then fought by a dogs immune system and prevents the dog developing symptoms. However, many viruses are only transmitted to further hosts (i.e. the dog becomes contageous) when the virus begins to reproduce in their bodies, and in some cases not until frank symptoms are displayed (nasal secretions, for instance). 

It is like when a person comes into contact with a disease they are vaccinated against or have natural immunity to; they may well be "infected" and their immune system fights the infection so that they don't get sick - with some virises, the person can pass it on to others even though they didn't get ill, but with others, the method of transmission is linked to the reproduction of the virus and symptoms displayed - so it is not possible for a vaccianted person to be a carrier of those viruses  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2007, 06:00:33 PM »
the KC vaccine is always going to have problems though because of the number different strains the vaccine only covers specific ones so they don't fully protect as much as we expect them to.

Offline fenn2006

• Site Member
  • Best girl Fenn
    • www.photobucket.com
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2007, 11:22:10 AM »
With Fenn having possible AIHA after her troubles, and not knowing whether to vacinate we had her titre tested and results came back she had antibodies for everything apart from Lepto.  She had only had her puppy vacs......

However :-\ against my better judgement though, she has been vacciated for lepto as our vets have had four cases of lepto on various shoots around this area, the vet advised he would have it done and OH did also.   Touch wood Fenn is showing no symptoms of illness and I deliberate each day whether OH, we did the right thing.  It would kill me if anything happens to her and for now as she is showing no symptoms of illness I am cautiously hoping alls well  :-\..... We wont be getting her fully boostered anymore and will just carry on with the titre testing and go from there....I know this may be wrong and depending on the lepto next year OH may want her done again.....I still hate making the decision and my heart sinks everytime I think about it...I wish with all my heart proper studies were done on this....

Should we get another dog we would just have the puppy vacs and 1 booster, then titre test.  It may not be full proof and if Fenn hadn't gotten ill then I would probably feel different but to me...In years to come I hope a dog will be vacinated on an individual scale rather than universal :-\
Cockers are little people with minds of their own... x0x

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2007, 03:58:19 PM »
Aw Fenn, big [[[[hugs :luv:]]]]

Really difficult position to be in. The research is so scanty, and there are so many opposing opinions it's so hard to know just what to do  :-\

Fenn, you might want to look into nosodes, they are homeopathic "vaccines" and don't have the problems associated with vaccines, or overstimulating the immune system. If you've been in touch with Penels support group, she can tell you a lot about them too. (I don't know why I didn't think about that when you originally posted about your vaccine dilemna  ph34r)

I think that is the route I am going to go. I haven't vaccinated in years, since Crackers developed AIHA (she's gone now :'(), but Bracken is going to begin showing in January, so will be exposed to more dogs, and dogs from different parts of the country.

It still comes back around to doing (or not doing) the vaccine programme that we as individuals are comfortable with. No one is right or wrong, as the research just isn't there. Obviously those of us who have AIHA dogs are going to have a different view of it, but I know we are all doing the best we can with the information we have  :-*

For me personally, if I were to get a puppy I would do the puppy jabs, possibly the boooster at 1 year and then take a "wait and see". I'd wait till after the second jabs to let the puppy out in public
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline fenn2006

• Site Member
  • Best girl Fenn
    • www.photobucket.com
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2007, 04:41:24 PM »
Aw Fenn, big [[[[hugs :luv:]]]]

Really difficult position to be in. The research is so scanty, and there are so many opposing opinions it's so hard to know just what to do  :-\

Fenn, you might want to look into nosodes, they are homeopathic "vaccines" and don't have the problems associated with vaccines, or overstimulating the immune system. If you've been in touch with Penels support group, she can tell you a lot about them too. (I don't know why I didn't think about that when you originally posted about your vaccine dilemna  ph34r)

I think that is the route I am going to go. I haven't vaccinated in years, since Crackers developed AIHA (she's gone now :'(), but Bracken is going to begin showing in January, so will be exposed to more dogs, and dogs from different parts of the country.

It still comes back around to doing (or not doing) the vaccine programme that we as individuals are comfortable with. No one is right or wrong, as the research just isn't there. Obviously those of us who have AIHA dogs are going to have a different view of it, but I know we are all doing the best we can with the information we have  :-*

For me personally, if I were to get a puppy I would do the puppy jabs, possibly the boooster at 1 year and then take a "wait and see". I'd wait till after the second jabs to let the puppy out in public

Thanks Michelle ((hug)) I really appreciate your post as I have felt like poo since having had Fenn vaccined for Lepto, especially after many people said not to...wasn't going to say that she had for fear people would hate me...but I didn't know what to do and with the vet saying to have it done, OH agreeing and the four cases of Lepto near by....but on the other hand so scared (and still am I guess) that she would relapse....it is such a mind field but it has put my mind at ease alittle knowing that she has sufficient antibodies for the other diseases....well for now any how :-\, have a great Christmas Michelle...and everyone else, may 2008 be alittle more stress free for everyone :-*
Cockers are little people with minds of their own... x0x