Author Topic: Anal glands expressing ...if you are brave enough  (Read 3329 times)

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
Re: Anal glands expressing ...if you are brave enough
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2008, 08:42:16 PM »
Jasper was lined up on the grooming table, the latex gloves at the ready but I chickened out - think I need to see it done once more.  Think I'll ring vets just one more time   ph34r

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Astridx

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2008, 05:35:07 PM »
Ive never done it   Belle had it done at the vets and nothing came out   How do you know if they need done 

Thankfully to date Lottie has been ok but my Mums Goldie gets a metalic breath!  It sounds weird but when you smell it you will recognise it!!  Also Daisy does a lot of paw chewing when they need doing.  ::)
Lottie and Astrid

Offline Bentley

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2008, 09:30:39 AM »
Read this last night and decided to try - was really surprised it was so easy and not as smelly as I thought it might be - so give it a go!  Bentley wasn't stressed by it at all.   :D  :D xSx

Offline leisl

• Donator
  • Hi-Life PAT Dog of the Year!
    • Muppet - PAT Dog of the Year Winner 2010/2011
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2008, 01:14:46 PM »
Read this last night and decided to try - was really surprised it was so easy and not as smelly as I thought it might be - so give it a go!  D xSx

Are you mad?  :005:  Handed over my credit card, paid my ££££ yesterday, got the same result!   :005:
Leisl, Muppet & Krumble
Orange ones are more juicy!!

Offline Emmylou

• Site Member
  • Cosby and Boo!
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2008, 01:58:04 PM »
I don't really know much about this (and sorry for going a little off topic) but does it cause them any pain/discomfort if they need emptying.

The think is Cosby has never once had a problem and we've never had to empty his (I think groomer does them occassionally).  However Boo has started dragging his bum on the floor and whining and his breathe does smell (a mixture of fish and metallic).  We didn't realise this was his anal glands and thought he needed worming, however he's still doing it.

Obviously I will take him to the vets now that I know what is going on, but I worried that he has been doing this for some time - will it be painful for him?

Bad mummy, bad bad mummy!

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2008, 02:02:09 PM »
Read this last night and decided to try - was really surprised it was so easy and not as smelly as I thought it might be - so give it a go!  Bentley wasn't stressed by it at all.   :D  :D xSx

Well done  :D ...I must give it a try  :embarassed: ............................ one day  :005:
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline leisl

• Donator
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2008, 02:29:30 PM »
- will it be painful for him?

No it doesn't hurt them and I image after its done it is a great relief.  Have to say Muppet sounds like a stuck pig when she is having hers done but then she likes to be a bit melodramatic.  I whilst I do go on about YUK YUK YUK, its quite an easy thing to do.

Good luck.

Lxx
Leisl, Muppet & Krumble

Offline Dotties Mum

• Site Member
  • I didnt do it Mum
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2008, 03:42:09 PM »
YUCK!  I haven't done Dotties but then she hasn't been bum shuffeling!!  i will have a look when I groom her on Saturday morning though :P
Cockers make the day worth while

Offline Emmylou

• Site Member
  • Cosby and Boo!
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2008, 04:59:35 PM »
- will it be painful for him?

No it doesn't hurt them and I image after its done it is a great relief.  Have to say Muppet sounds like a stuck pig when she is having hers done but then she likes to be a bit melodramatic.  I whilst I do go on about YUK YUK YUK, its quite an easy thing to do.

Good luck.

Lxx

Sorry I didn't explain myself very well.  I didn't mean would it be painful getting them emptied, I meant would he be in pain now, because we have left it so long to take him to the vets.  We're not booked in until next week and I just wondered if he would be in pain because he has been bum shuffling for a while now.  In other words does it cause them pain if their glands are full - should you get it done asap

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2008, 05:30:57 PM »
Hi
I think they feel the urge to empty and they scoot to relieve the pressure. I guess it must be a bit like needing to poo but can't. I did not know about this too, and Charlie had been scooting for ages before we took him to vets. Don't feel bad at least you know now and can help Boo out.

Offline millerman

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2008, 05:56:44 PM »
Just asked another Vet near to us and he said £11:50, so Tasha will be emptied on Monday next week.Bargin!!

Offline Bentley

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2008, 09:31:34 PM »
well in the stakes of picking up warm smelly poop  (an everyday occurrence)  :o  or a quick bit of anal gland expressing (now & again)  ::)  now that I have done it, I think the anal glands are the lesser of two evils and you do get the feeling of satisfaction that you have done something useful !!!!!!!!!!!  :angel:  xSx

Offline leisl

• Donator
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2008, 10:43:43 PM »
you do get the feeling of satisfaction that you have done something useful !!!!!!!!!!!  :angel:  xSx

You need to get out more!! :005:
Leisl, Muppet & Krumble

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2008, 02:27:09 PM »
Just watched the video and it seem,so easy but sorry I'll just keep holding the sharp end while the vet does the other   >:(
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Charlie my Angel 11-12-2014
Hamish latest addition

Offline dizzymare

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2008, 06:41:50 PM »
Ellie's just been done for the first time.  I have to say, it did seem to hurt her - a lot  :'(  i thought she was going to bite my arm off.  However, she had also had an injection, and was micro chipped at the same time, so poor baby didnt know what the hell was going on.