Author Topic: Puppy sick  (Read 1390 times)

Offline SarahS

• Site Member
Puppy sick
« on: January 31, 2008, 10:30:07 PM »
Not sure if this is puppy or health. 

Our puppy has been violently sick for two hours this evening.  I checked the vomit and there were pieces of what looked like stick in it.  My husband said he chewed a bit of one when he was off the lead at lunch time before he got it off him.  Since the first batch there hasn't been any stick but I am worried. The vet said not to panic yet. We lost our other cocker last year at 6 so I am paranoid.  He has stopped now, and the vet said to reintroduce water in an hour and bread in a couple, to help any stick through.  He said to watch him overnight. I want to take him to bed really, but he has such a brilliant night time routine I don't want to upset that as days are full of him barking at me at the moment. I think I will sit in the lounge so I can hear what is going on, but I am scared I'll miss something bad and he'll choke or something. Trouble is, we all have slapped cheak virus and are really not well, so I am worried I'll doze off. Puppy is settled in cage now. No sign of trouble. Why have I put myself through this again? I jsut keep thinking please don't die.  Dramatic I know. This is like therapy this website.   :P

Offline LizzieD

• Site Member
Re: Puppy sick
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 11:15:42 PM »
Don't panic, do as the vet has suggested. I think I would do the same as you and try and keep his routine as normal as possible. If your worried about missing something, how about setting an alarm for every hour or so, and then you could have a quick check on him, however I'm sure your Mummy instinct will kick in and you would hear him being sick. (it was amazing how many times I woke in the night, just before a poorly child appeared at the bedside  ;))

Sending  :luv: and healing wishes to your poorly pup, and I hope its not too long a night for you.
Children grow up and don't want cuddles, but dogs are puppies for life.

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
    • Darvieux Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 11:17:03 PM »
Aww poor pup and you.  :P Hope things settle and you manage to get some sleep. I would be just like you, it cant be helped.

Thinking of your little mite.  :luv: :luv:

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 04:33:36 AM »
It's amazing how light you can sleep even for a puppy  :D hope you get some sleep and the puppy is fine - I'm sure he will be  :D

My two are  >:D for finding sticks - however hard I try they are too quick for me  :shades:

Offline SarahS

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 08:49:58 AM »
It's amazing how light you can sleep even for a puppy  :D hope you get some sleep and the puppy is fine - I'm sure he will be  :D

My two are  >:D for finding sticks - however hard I try they are too quick for me  :shades:

Very sleepless night but he seems much better this morning. The wretching was awful for ages. I reintroduced water like the vet said an hour after the last bout of sick (the vet said to stop everything as puppies can get in to a vicious circle, but he was going to take him in if it went on in case of dehydration).  Then an hour after that we gave him some bread which would apparently hopefully stick to the 'stick' and help it through.  Big poo this morning - you really wanted to know that!!  I am going to give him a little chicken and rice this morning.  He is very tired, as are we...  Thank you for your support. It really does help to know there are people who understand.  I was so much calmer with our other pups, but I suppose after a bad experience you worry more.  I am going to be firm with myself and stop thinking negative thoughts, so I can just enjoy having a lovely new cocker in the family.  There are going to be nights like last night aren't there.  Goodness, I remember our last cocker jumped in a ditch as a puppy which, because of rain, was full of pesticide from the field.  His eyelids instantly drooped and he started fitting. It was awful but we all survived! Thanks again

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 08:57:44 AM »
Good luck with the being firmer with yourself.  I tried to do it with Kali after we lost our beloved Chloe.  Haven't managed yet! :005:  I still watch her like a hawk and get paranoid about every snuffle ::)
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline JACK1

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 09:18:27 AM »
Hi, just wanted to tell you I feel exactly the same way, we lost our first cocker Honey last year, when she was only 18 months.  :'(

We now have jack who is 15 weeks old and has the runs at the moment, I keep getting myself into a right state but like you I know I have to start being more positive

Hope your pup is ok now

Love Helen & Jack

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 10:37:47 AM »
Glad your pup seems better this morning.  It is such a worry when they are little but they do these things to scare us - it is all part of growing up and they will be stronger for it.  I agree, try not to get too anxious as he will pick up on it too and he may end up anxious too  :-\

Keep us posted on how he is doing  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
    • Darvieux Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 12:59:14 PM »
Glad to hear he is feeling a little better.  :luv: Go and have a little siesta on the settee with him.  :luv:

Offline fenn2006

• Site Member
  • Best girl Fenn
    • www.photobucket.com
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 02:41:19 PM »
Ah I missed this, poor wee soul - glad he seems to be picking up.  Don't worry I think you are like us all with worrying about them...the funny thing is they probably wonder what all the fuss is about.  Sounds like he is going to be fine though so plenty of rest for you both now.

Take care  :luv:
Cockers are little people with minds of their own... x0x

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 09:52:18 PM »
Glad to hear that your little chap is a bit better today. :luv:

I do understand; I'm pretty paranoid too!! ph34r :D
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline SarahS

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2008, 10:29:55 PM »
Glad to hear that your little chap is a bit better today. :luv:

I do understand; I'm pretty paranoid too!! ph34r :D

Thank you for all your kind messages.  Good to know I am not the only one who worries. He has been charging about as normal today. Still a little off his food, but it is picking up. :D