Author Topic: Frontline or stronghold - which works?  (Read 24533 times)

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
Frontline or stronghold - which works?
« on: June 09, 2008, 11:35:18 PM »
I took my cats for their vaccinations and check ups last week.  The vet searched through my white cats fur and produced a fair amount of flea dirt  :o  I said that I didn't understand that as she'd been frontlined two weeks previously.  He said that frontline was ineffective and that I should get a prescription treatment as frontline was sold anywhere these days.  I said that the surgery had sold it to me in the first place - his response was that fleas had built up a resistance and that stronghold was the recommended one these days. 

I then said that I'd been sold frontline for my dog about 4 weeks ago by them - he responded by saying that it was cat fleas that had built the resistance up!

Are they having a laugh?  Do they just want me to get my flea treatment from them or is frontline now useless?  I've checked Ben and there is flea dirt there + he gets ticks and they are usually still alive when I find them  >:(

I paid a small fortune for the frontline combo and can't retreat him for another month - I feel like taking the rest back and demanding a replacement pack of stronghold.

What are your thoughts / experiences or preferences?

Offline cazza

• Site Member
Re: Frontline or stronghold - which works?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 06:11:12 AM »
I have found a more natural one - but I can't remember the name at the mo (short version on name is DE, hopefully someone will know - but I will go off and see if I can find it for you  ;) )

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 06:11:44 AM »
My vets rececptionist told me Frontline was not very good  :-\ and recommended Advantix for the little blighters  ;)

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 06:18:50 AM »
Right found it     :D   Diatomaceous Earth  http://www.holisticpetsupplies.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=476

What ever you do if getting this MAKE SURE IT IS FOOD GRADE you get  :D

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 08:09:41 AM »
Advantix is the only one that will kill ticks fairly instantly but it has been known to give awful side effects to *some* dogs.  If I was in an endemic tick area I would use it, but for the 2 or 3 ticks a day areas I would seriously do some research on it and side effects  :-\

Cazza, am investing in DE - will let you know how we get on  :D
helen & jarvis x

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 08:09:56 AM »
I spoke to my vet about this yesterday - he has recommended a new product called PRACTIC - he gave me a leaflet about it and according to the literature it lasts longer than either Frontline or Stronghold.  Haven't tried it yet (or even bought it yet!) but will do so next month when they all need doing!
Good luck.
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 09:07:16 AM »
Advantix is the only one that will kill ticks fairly instantly but it has been known to give awful side effects to *some* dogs.  If I was in an endemic tick area I would use it, but for the 2 or 3 ticks a day areas I would seriously do some research on it and side effects  :-\

Cazza, am investing in DE - will let you know how we get on  :D

Good luck - I've heard it is brilliant and can be used also as a more natural wormer too  :D

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 10:35:34 AM »
Right found it     :D   Diatomaceous Earth  http://www.holisticpetsupplies.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=476

What ever you do if getting this MAKE SURE IT IS FOOD GRADE you get  :D

ok.....I'm 'sort of' seeing a fella...but thats another story and he's a herbalist, so I just asked him about this...his reply........

Never seen that idea before. Using it as a powder externally would be safe. Internally though, I'm not too sure. There is some evidence that long term use of that stuff may change the lining of your gut.
When it comes to worms and parasites though, best advice is always drugs, cos they can run rampant and recur constantly if not eradicated all at once at the same time.

One of the best all round anti-parasite thingies is Neem oil, and it's safe.

I trust him.....so hope that helps

Zen Dog...he knows not where he is going, for the ocean will decide. Its not the destination....its the glory of the ride.

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 11:44:39 AM »
I know of a few people who use it as a wormer, think I'm right in saying they feed BARF too

Offline Mazame

• Site Member
    • ECS de Mazamé
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 12:56:55 PM »
Actually, Frontline doesn't work a lot anymore. There are 2 types of fleas and the cat carries dog's ones but supports them well. The cats are often the problem when the dogs have fleas. You should treat your home too.

Advantix is the only one that will kill ticks fairly instantly but it has been known to give awful side effects to *some* dogs.

It's rather Scalibor that is known to give awful skin effects. I bought Duowin (against ticks & fleas) for my rottweiler. I don't know if it is sold in GB.

I heard lavender worked well but haven't tried it yet.
Cassandre, Julie, Gala, Filibert and Pupuce.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 01:06:32 PM »
Has anyone had a problem with Frontline?  I have been using it for the last few months as I can buy it online without a prescription and so-far, so-good; no sign of fleas despite being in kennels and regular contact with other dogs  ;)

One of the best all round anti-parasite thingies is Neem oil, and it's safe.[/i]

I trust him.....so hope that helps

I use Neem Oil on my guinea pig as a shampoo; can you buy it in quantities suitable for dogs and how would you administer it? 
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline mezzamo

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 01:36:57 PM »
I have always used Frontline as initially recommended and purchased from my Vets by I now buy it online.  I have so far never had any problems and it appears to have worked well though I now have my concerns after reading this thread. :-\
Mary, Tony & Romeo XXX

Offline starboy

• Site Member
  • Theo and Apollo
    • Starboy
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 01:54:45 PM »
I'm sure you can't use Advantix if you have cats if the house. If frontline isn't any good any more then why are the vets still selling it? I was offered it at the vets last week but I had already bought some on line It does make you worry about what is best to use.
From the Darby family

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 02:05:41 PM »
Used advantix last week on my lot and all is fine and dandy and tick free  :D

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline 175brown

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 04:06:18 PM »
iv just been given prac-tic by my new vet she said it was the same as frontline just cheaper.
i had know idea frontline was being ineffective :o