Author Topic: Hip Scoring - Does it hurt the dog  (Read 1665 times)

Offline Levencorroch

Hip Scoring - Does it hurt the dog
« on: June 24, 2008, 11:13:25 PM »
Hi, we are looking into getting our dog hip scored, however have been advised that the test is very painful for the dog.  As our dog is first and foremost our pet we do not want to put her through a lot of pain.

If anyone can shed any light on if the above is true or not we would be very grateful. :huh:

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: Hip Scoring - Does it hurt the dog
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 01:22:55 AM »
No, they are sedated for the x-rays, not because it's painful, but their bodies need to be totally relaxed to get the right position. They are laid on their backs and one person holds the front legs and one has the back and gently pull in opposite directions to get the hips and legs fully stretched out, then that position has to be held for a couple of seconds while the x-ray is taken. A scary position for a lot of dogs, thus the anasthesia, but not painful  :blink:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline wales07

• Site Member
  • Honey - rest in peace my precious
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 09:03:49 AM »
Totally agree with the above post. I used to breed labradors and had them all hipscored. They had to be sedated not because it hurt but just to keep them still for the xray .
I remember ringing someone up to enquire about the litter they had for sale and my first question was have they been hipscored? the breeder said no as he didnt want to put his dogs through such a painful procedure! he obviously didnt know that he was talking to someone who knew what it entailed and gave me a long bulls--t story about how awful the hipscoring process was. I put him right and asked him whether he would rather breed dogs who could have problems and live a life of constant pain than just take them to the vets for a painless procedure? it was at this point that he put the phone down on me.But it made me realise that some people will say anything to sell pups and if the buyers havent done their homework they end up buying them!
sorry ive gone off the topic a bit ph34r but to answer your question- its not painful for the dog ;)

Offline Levencorroch

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 09:24:07 AM »
Thanks for the advice, you have put our minds at rest.  :D

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 09:31:58 AM »
It's good to hear of other people's positive experiences with hip scoring and if someone is going to breed I would totally agree that the dogs must be scored. However, I have a friend who has bred two litters from her Weimaraner and I know that the second time she had her hip scored the dog was a bit lame & stiff for a few days afterwards - the hip score was healthy so something did happen during the procedure to cause her a slight problem.. unless I was going to breed or use my dog for some genetic/breed study, I'm not sure it's something I would have done.. but that's just personal preference.

Hannah xx

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline bella15

• Site Member
  • Cody
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 09:35:38 AM »
Connie & Bella had their hips scored two years ago and they were fine,no problems at all.Tess had hers done in May and she was ok to.