Author Topic: Using Magnesium Sulphate paste  (Read 18842 times)

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
Using Magnesium Sulphate paste
« on: October 08, 2008, 08:16:29 AM »
-How long do  you leave it on for please? :-\

I've never used it before on dogs or humans and see that it says not to use repeatedly. I slavered it on top of Fern's clean paw last night(migrated grass seed methinks), covered it with a clean dressing, a firm stretchy bangage and finally a sock with loads of micropore tape. She was very good. I don't want to take it off too soon and have to repeat it all again, particularly as it says not to repeat. I don't want to leave it on too long either and find her toes have dropped off  ph34r  ;)

-When I do remove it, will the residue wash off with tepid salt water?  :-\

(I have already tried her with 2X Silicea 30c for the last ten days, but it hasn't completely done the trick)
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: Using Magnesium Sulphate paste
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 08:44:38 AM »
I'd leave it on for a max of 24 hours Happydog.  Don't know if the tepid water will remove it all, would just use something mild to wash it off.

If you want to bathe her paw again if the Mag. Sulph. hasn't done the trick, I would use epsom salts as this is meant to help draw things out too.

Poor Fern, she really is susceptible to seeds isn't she?   :'( :'(

hgs from both of us to both of you  :luv: :luv:

helen & jarvis x

Offline happydog

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 09:07:21 AM »
 :blink: Thanks Helen, I'll remove it tonight, and find the Epsom salts, although if it's done the job I will use salt water instead, to make sure there's no infection  remaining. Meanwhile she will have to put up with a soggy sock as she is helping me with the gardening  ph34r  (day off work today AND we have carers -yipee! :D )
Poor Fern, she really is susceptible to seeds isn't she?   :'( :'(
  ::) She certainly is. Although apart from the ones down her ears, I think it is only this one that has been causing her problems. I've been watching this one for two or three months as it moved down from the top of her leg. I could feel it at one stage, but couldn't find an entry point. Then it disappeared until a couple of weeks ago when the top of her paw began to swell and the licking began again. I can't see the point of paying a vet to anaesthetise and cut her open to find it if I can do it this way. It's not causing her any major pain, just irritation.
happydog

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 09:50:42 AM »
Meanwhile she will have to put up with a soggy sock as she is helping me with the gardening  ph34r  (day off work today AND we have carers -yipee! :D )

brilliant, glad you can have a break outside Happydog  ;)

Hopefully you have the sunny day we have down here and you and Fern can get on with that gardening...but I do think you should get your camera out too  :shades: :luv: :luv:
helen & jarvis x

Offline happydog

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 09:39:46 PM »
In the end she only managed to keep the Magnesium Sulphate on for 15 hours. 10 minutes into her walk this afternoon and she disposed of bandage and sock somewhere in the middle of a hawthorn hedge  ::) . I bathed her paw in warm salt water when we got back and left it 'til now to have a prod....
It was a grass seed, the quarter inch husk shot out, complete with gunge from her toe.
It seems the Silicea worked after all  :D

Did plenty of gardening today with lovely sunny weather Helen-no time for piccies though- I was too busy. Another two or three days work on it like today and it might begin to look half decent again  :-\ .
happydog

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 09:54:02 PM »
Never heard of this before.
Can either of you give me a quick sort of bullet points on Silica, Mag Sulph and epsom salts and how to use them for drawing out a gress seed. Are they useful if the seed is only just in (hasn't travelled) but can't be got to?
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline Tori

• Shannara Leap of faith AKA Mr bubbalicious - Otis
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 10:06:33 PM »
In the end she only managed to keep the Magnesium Sulphate on for 15 hours. 10 minutes into her walk this afternoon and she disposed of bandage and sock somewhere in the middle of a hawthorn hedge  ::) . I bathed her paw in warm salt water when we got back and left it 'til now to have a prod....
It was a grass seed, the quarter inch husk shot out, complete with gunge from her toe.
It seems the Silicea worked after all  :D

Did plenty of gardening today with lovely sunny weather Helen-no time for piccies though- I was too busy. Another two or three days work on it like today and it might begin to look half decent again  :-\ .

I'm an huge fan of epson salt and magnesium sulphate paste for Sasha's skin issues, got my silicea a few months ago after previous advise on here but have yet to use it as so far ours have not been FB related......must say that the Mag sul worked fantastic at getting rid of Sasha's cellulitis recently..... :D

So glad it worked fantastic on Fern today.......personally i think she did great leaving the pultice on for 15hrs.....wouldn't last 5 mins on one of mine  ;)
Tori & Co x
aka the luscious Laney, Jessica ferret, Scrum bum Otis (pictured)and Sasha the basha welshie - sadly Sasha was set free to run at the bridge 13/01/11 to prevent further suffering.... Until we meet again sweet angel xx

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
    • Darvieux Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 10:58:40 PM »
I swear ny magnesium sulphate paste too, only used it in humans though, but very effective.

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 11:03:12 AM »
The magnesium sulphate brought monty's lump to a head, even though it was only on  a few hours before he got the bandage off. I washed the paste off as It is not to be ingested and the lump burst overnight. He still had the op the next day, they didn't find anything and he has been ok since. So I think the seed must of come out when it burst. It's good stuff.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline happydog

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 04:15:18 PM »
Never heard of this before.
Can either of you give me a quick sort of bullet points on Silica, Mag Sulph and epsom salts and how to use them for drawing out a gress seed. Are they useful if the seed is only just in (hasn't travelled) but can't be got to?
I've never tried any of this before Coco. I had just read about it on COL and other dog  forums about Silica and Magnesium Sulphate being ways of getting grass seeds, thorns etc  expelled. They work by bringing it to the surface, usually with accompanying pus ( ph34r gross I know) Some say that MS is messy stuff to use and having tried it I can only agree.

Silicea: Homeopathic remedy available from your chemist or on-line. I bought Nelsons. Available in two strengths- 6c and 30c. As Ferns grass seed had been travelling around inside her for months I gave her 30c twice daily for ten days. Others have had success with 6c and about 2/3 days before said grass seed made it's reappearance. The idea is to give it until it works. To ensure it is effective do not give food or drink for at least an hour before or after giving it. As with all homeopathic remedies, don't touch the pillule, but tip one into the cap and pop it straight onto the tongue where it will dissolve. They don't get a chance to spit it out as it is tiny, tasteless and dissolves quickly. You cannot overdose.

Magnesium Sulphate paste. Again you can buy it from the chemist. Ask for the generic (own label) stuff. A small 25g pot is about £1. Stir well and slaver it on thickly(I used a teaspoon handle to stir and to apply) and cover well with a plaster or bandage(depending where it is). Leave for 24 hours-if you can.
As Ladylola says you do not want your dog to lick it off because it is toxic(  :-\), So wash it off when you remove the bandage.
Also, do not apply if the skin is already broken.

Epsom Salts. Sorry. I've no idea what strength solution to bath it in. Ask Helen  :lol2: 
Are they useful if the seed is only just in (hasn't travelled) but can't be got to?
I would say 'yes'. As to which one, it's whatever you feel most comfortable with.
happydog

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 07:20:59 PM »
Thanks for that!
Wherry is a b*gg*r for getting grass seeds and detests the vets so that's really valuable advice for me.
Fankyou  :-*
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline happydog

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 08:32:42 PM »
I suspect that Wherry will be grateful , if it avoids a trip to the V.E.T. I know Fern was  :blink: .
Lets hope you don't need any of it for a while  :D 
happydog

Offline fenn2006

• Site Member
  • Best girl Fenn
    • www.photobucket.com
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 11:10:59 AM »
Hi Happydog, I hope you don't mind me asking but...on Saturday whilst beating, Fenn managed to get a rather big thorn in her right paw which was removed but she seems to still be limping on and off and I'm worried a thorn tip may still be in there.  I have had a thorough look (even with a magnifing glass) and can see a slight split but this does not seem infected....other than that can't really see anything else wrong at all :-\

I have some Silicea 6c but unfortunately dropped the bottle ::) so am guessing the tablets are now no good as have been exposed to the air.  Would you sugguest 30c or 6c for me to buy?
Cockers are little people with minds of their own... x0x

Offline fenn2006

• Site Member
  • Best girl Fenn
    • www.photobucket.com
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 11:13:27 AM »
Sorry one more thing - can you give Arnica and Silicea at the same time?....if there isn't any thorn tip in her paw, I'm wondering if she may have bruised it?
Cockers are little people with minds of their own... x0x

Offline happydog

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 07:38:25 PM »
Sorry fenn2006, I've only just seen this. I'm no expert, this is the first time I've tried silicea myself, but I have been told in the past that either 6c or 30c will do, whatever you can get hold of. The 30c is strongest, so it would, I guess work faster.

I am guessing  too about taking the arnica and silica together, but I would think it makes sense to give them a couple of hours apart and not with food, so that they each get a chance to do their stuff without interference.

If anyone else knows different please post  :D .
happydog