Author Topic: Using Magnesium Sulphate paste  (Read 18843 times)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: Using Magnesium Sulphate paste
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2008, 03:54:42 PM »
Sorry fenn2006, I've only just seen this. I'm no expert, this is the first time I've tried silicea myself, but I have been told in the past that either 6c or 30c will do, whatever you can get hold of. The 30c is strongest, so it would, I guess work faster.

I am guessing  too about taking the arnica and silica together, but I would think it makes sense to give them a couple of hours apart and not with food, so that they each get a chance to do their stuff without interference.

If anyone else knows different please post  :D .

agree with Happydog  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline fenn2006

• Site Member
  • Best girl Fenn
    • www.photobucket.com
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2008, 10:19:22 AM »
 :D Ah many thanks for your replys Happydog/Livercake. 

I have been giving Fenn the Silicea since Friday, 30c, and over night on Saturday I noticed a lump appeared at the back of her big pad.  I did give it a gentle squeeze and it bleed a bit and a little bit of scabby stuff came out but I have left it alone since then and just been bathing twice a day in salt water.  It has formed a scab but hopefully if anything is in there it will come out, if it hasn't already. Though as she was still limping on and off, sometimes quite badly giving me the most sad spaniel eyes ::), I took her to the vets on Saturday.  The vet shaved the area with the lump and gave it a gentle squeeze. It again bled but he felt she was more sensative on her toe area so shaved that and you could see it was slightly swollen.  THe vet thinks where the thorn was removed this may have caused a slight infection so he gave her a antibiotic injection, plus a metacam injection and some Metacam to give her once a day for a week.  I am still giving her the silicea too.  Although he did say to keep an eye on the lump, just incase she has a thorn tip in there and to watch out for any other lumps appearing.  Touch wood she has not been limping anymore since then....well she was all the way up until getting in the vets....and then as soon as we get there....hey presto no more limping.... ::) .  Vet also said to try and rest her as much as possible with very short lead walks.....so again we are getting sad spaniel eyes! If she starts limping again....back to the vets we shall go....

How long do you think I should give her the Silicea for? Today is the 4th day, and she has been having it twice a day
Cockers are little people with minds of their own... x0x

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2008, 05:18:21 PM »
The general advice I have been given is to continue until it works.
Fern had 2x30c daily for 10 days and a raised red lump appeared, (like a boil) but it didn't burst. I squeezed it gently and it produced a little watery blood, but nothing else. I bathed it in salt water, then used the Magnesium Suphate paste for a day, which finally did the trick. I squeezed it gently after about a day and it was then that the pus and grass seed came out. With hindsight I was a bit impatient and probably the Silicea would have had the same effect within a couple more days.

Fern does her 'I'm poorly, look at me limping' until she gets to the vet too  ::)  :005:
Hope Fenn's poorly paw is better soon.
(Fern's mum was called Fenn  :luv: )
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2008, 05:34:56 PM »
I hope Fenn gets better soon poor baby  :luv: These feet things must be really miserable  :-\

Fern does her 'I'm poorly, look at me limping' until she gets to the vet too  ::)  :005:

Amazing how they miraculously get better at the vets door   :shades: though saying that I seem to be fine the minute I get into the doctors'  ::)

There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline fenn2006

• Site Member
  • Best girl Fenn
    • www.photobucket.com
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2008, 10:06:44 AM »
The general advice I have been given is to continue until it works.

Thanks again Happydog, I shall carry on with it then for a few more days as, I had a look this morning and the lump is now alot smaller with a scab on top? so I'm kinda thinking either whatever, if anything, was there has gone and the lump is healing or worse case scenerio, if something was in there it has migrated....trying not to think that but knowing Fenn and all that, she's got history :005: so will keep ever vigilant
(Fern's mum was called Fenn  :luv: )

:luv: ah I love the name...Its funny, I always thought Fenn was an unusual name before we got her but have met so many dogs, mostly cockers, with the name....I've decided that my next girly will be Flossy I think ;)

I hope Fenn gets better soon poor baby  :luv: These feet things must be really miserable  :-\

Amazing how they miraculously get better at the vets door   :shades: though saying that I seem to be fine the minute I get into the doctors'  ::)

Ah thanks Vicky, Hope Wherry and Gizzy are well? Fenn seems to be fine now, well apart from being very unhappy about her 'no excertion' rule  ::) No limping since before the 'vet trip' but I'm sort of thinking this may be more with her being on Metacam.  I've decided to give it to her until Wednesday then to stop and see whether she starts limping again.  If she does and I still can't see anything obvious then back to the vets.  Can't believe she did this on the first shoot day poor love....wonder if they do 'dog boots' although don't think it will go down well with the other shoot members  :005:   :005: ::)
Cockers are little people with minds of their own... x0x

Offline Jaysmum

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2008, 10:37:01 AM »
Mag sulph paste was recommended to me by a nurse many years ago, my late dad had a lump on his shoulder for many years, started to get trouble some, he was sent to hospital and told he would have to have surgery.  The nurse said to try the paste, and we did, wont go into details but one week later it came to a head and needless to say my Dad never had surgery and it never came back.