Author Topic: Swallowed a cocktail stick - help!!  (Read 20799 times)

Offline stuffster

• Luna
Swallowed a cocktail stick - help!!
« on: November 27, 2008, 06:08:54 PM »
I was handing my son a chicken satay on a cocktail stick (about 2-3inches long) and he dropped in on the floor and before I could reach it, Alfie grabbed it and swallowed it whole.

I've rung the vet and she has said there is nothing she can do, and that making him sick may be worse for him. She said it will come out one end or the other or possible perforate his bowel, in which case we will know about it and to call her immediately if we think that this has happened!  :-\

Has anyone had anything similar happen? What did you do and how did the dog fare?

Im worried sick - I think I'll sleep on the sofa tonight so I can keep an eye on him. Should I try feeding him something bulky like mashed potato or something to pad out his bowels to help its journey through.

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline Clover

• Site Member
  • Clover & Amy
Re: Swallowed a cocktail stick - help!!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 06:12:30 PM »
Did the vet not recommend anything ?  I'm not sure what would be the best thing, hope things pass uneventful.  I think I would ring the vets again, if they didn't give any advice originally.

Willow and Katie

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 06:12:54 PM »
Poor thing.

I'd be tempted to fed more in an attempt for it to have something to wrap round the stick and so it passes quicker. I'd be checking poops to to see if a stick is in it.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 06:13:55 PM »
Poor thing.

I'd be tempted to fed more in an attempt for it to have something to wrap round the stick and so it passes quicker. I'd be checking poops to to see if a stick is in it.

me too  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 06:20:06 PM »
was it wood or plastic? If it was wood the stomach juices should soften it and help it pass

Hope everything goes allright  :blink: 
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 06:20:21 PM »
Poor thing.

me too  ;)

Me three - maybe some bread/mashed potato or something stodgy like that  :huh:

Hope he's OK  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 06:23:09 PM »
was it wood or plastic? If it was wood the stomach juices should soften it and help it pass

Hope everything goes allright  :blink: 

It was wood. My little 'un snapped one with his fingers easily so hopefully they are pretty soft already. OH thinks we should wait a while for the stomach acid to do its stuff before feeding him.

Bread is a good idea thanks.

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 06:26:35 PM »
Hopefully the stomach acid will do its stuff then - better have the rubber gloves and magnifying glass ready to inspect the poo  :o  ph34r
Julie and Watson

Offline silly milly

• Donator
  • silly milly
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2008, 10:12:06 PM »
i hope every thing passes smoothly . sending our love x
with lots of love from silly milly and her mum!!!!

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2008, 10:14:51 PM »

That must have been painful going down  :o and might be doubly painful coming out  :o...hope he is ok  :-*

Offline tillyson

• i belive i can fly
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2008, 10:33:52 AM »
hope Alfie is ok today :luv:
chantelle & Tilly

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2008, 10:52:43 AM »
Alfie seems fine so far - playing happily with Purdey etc, but despite all my best efforts to fill him out with bulky stuff - brown bread and well-soaked warm kibble, he still hasnt been for a poo since the incident - and normally he is as regular as clockwork - he should have done 2 by now!

Ive steeled myself for some poo investigations when the time comes (I was hoping it would be in the garden rather than when I take him out for a walk - I can picture me standing in the woods rifling through his steaming pile looking for a cocktail stick - how attractive!) Ive just given him some more wet kibble with a handful of bran flakes thrown in, so hopefully it will hurry him along!

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline BabyB

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2008, 11:13:31 AM »
If you don't want to inspect it when you're out ;) you could always bag it up and inspect it at home.

Katie is forever eating things that are bad for her - this morning it was the lid off my Royal Doulton trinket box  >:D - everything comes out the other end, and if Alfie's not feeling off colour, it may be that the stick will have disintergrated and you'll never find it - I hope he liked the satay too :005:
Mummy loves her angels - but they're not angels all the time - They love to chew and charge about - but mummy doesn't mind

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2008, 12:58:27 PM »

Ive steeled myself for some poo investigations when the time comes (I was hoping it would be in the garden rather than when I take him out for a walk - I can picture me standing in the woods rifling through his steaming pile looking for a cocktail stick - how attractive!) Ive just given him some more wet kibble with a handful of bran flakes thrown in, so hopefully it will hurry him along!

After William swallowed a peach stone a few months ago I was on poo watch for days. Goodness knows what my neighbours must have thought, but it was even worse out on walks in the New Forest. Every time William pood, it seemed like dozens of people would suddenly appear from behind gorse bushes, out of rabbit holes, even thin air maybe!

But the worst humiliation was reserved for my good friend Maria, on poo watch when she walked William for me. She was all alone in the New Forest, poking at a pile of poo with a stick, then turned round to see she had an audience of students out on some kind of field trip :005:.

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2008, 04:49:51 PM »
Wow - that is a good friend you have there! Is she still speaking to you?

Well Im having a nightmare 24 hours! On top of the worry about Alfie, and having to go digging through his poo (not found anything yet!), our washing machine got blocked so I had to help OH pull loads of stinking grot out of the pump which was blocked with limescale and DD's hairbands!! While I was doing that, I discovered that mice had built a nest in BOTH of my inline skates - one was full of Arden Grange and the other was full of Chudleys!! They had chewed up the inners and leaves and papers etc to make a nest in there.

THEN while I was freaking out about that I realised that it was 1.30pm and my son finishes school at 1pm and Id forgotten to pick him up. Which is the second time in 2 weeks Ive done it, so now his teachers probably think Im a complete headcase!!

PURDEY AND LUNA <3