Author Topic: Very sad news from the vet - UPDATE  (Read 20582 times)

Offline Jeeves

• Site Member
  • Mrs Bridges - International Love Goddess!
Re: Very sad news from the vet
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 08:08:28 AM »
What a dreadful thing for you and your little fellow, I really feel for you.

My first cocker, Jeeves, had cancer of the mammary tract and despite a massive operation, it came back and just went everywhere.  We too were basically told she'd had enough and so made the decision to have her PTS.  You have to remember that you are doing what is right for Maddox, not necessarily right for you.  He will be free of pain and discomfort and will be up on his cloud looking down at you and saying "thank you mum for taking the pain away".

We had Jeeves PTS at home to minimise any stress for her (she hated going to the vet, as I think most of them do).  The vet and the nurse who came with her were both in floods of tears afterwards as were my husband and I, but little bear just fell asleep so peacfully in the comfort of her own home with her big brother Ronald at her side and on her mummy's lap.

Think about staying at home with him - it might be nicer for you all.

I truly feel for you.

Nicky xx
Parker, Mrs Bridges, Ronald and Jeeves (my Little Bear, no longer with us) and Nicky (that's me!)

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 08:09:02 AM »
So very sorry  to hear your devastating news.  :'(  :'(  :'(

I do agree with coco though, better a day to early than a day too late.  

Thinking of you at this terrible time.   :luv:

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline Jay06

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 08:11:55 AM »
 :'( I'm so so sorry. I can;t imagine how you are feeling  :-\
Agree with AnnieM & Coco, better a day too early than too late.

You and Maddox will be in my thoughts.  :-*

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2009, 08:12:25 AM »
So very sorry  to hear your devastating news.  :'(  :'(  :'(

I do agree with coco though, better a day to early than a day too late.  

Thinking of you at this terrible time.   :luv:

:'( :'( :'(

Same here  :-*

Enjoy your last few days together  :luv:
Julie and Watson

Offline Francesca

• Pepper
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2009, 08:13:23 AM »
I'm so desperately sorry to hear this - you must be feeling desolate at the moment.

Not sure if it will help....

As a family when I was in my early 20s we had 2 shelties, and the elder dog contracted cancer when he was 4 - we were advised to PTS there and then, and all said our goodbyes to him that day. It was awful - but there is a little solace in knowing that you genuinely are doing the best thing possible for your dog.

A year later our second dog was diagnosed with a difference cancer - but this time the vet said there was no immediate rush and advised us to monitor him over the next few weeks. He gradually declined over the next few days and we took him in, but again were advised that we should take him home again. My parents then had to go away - my grandparents fell ill - so I moved into their house to look after Toby. Over the space of 12 hours he declined so drastically - was in so much terrible pain, losing control of his functions and faculties - that I took him to the emergency vet in the middle of the night to PTS. My parents didn't have the chance to say their goodbyes and I've been left with tortuous pictures of him writhing in pain that still bring tears to eyes when i think of them, rather than happy memories of the lovely dog he was.

I know that my attitude to PTS is different now and if I am in a similar position again with my own dog, won't hesitate to make that decision.

Only you can make this difficult decision and you'll of course follow the best course for Maddox. Thoughts and hugs are with you  :luv: :luv: :luv: :luv:

Offline Enelya

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2009, 08:14:47 AM »
Thank you all for your kind words. I really appreciate your support in this lonely time.
Love, E.

Maddox's Momma, living in Manchester

Offline beebee

• Donator
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2009, 08:15:49 AM »
So so sad :'( :'(
Thinking of you both at this very difficult time. :-*

Offline Eve

• Donator
    • www.yvonnehughes.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2009, 08:16:24 AM »
Thinking of you at this very sad time, just concentrate on the positive happy times he has had with your.

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2009, 08:18:53 AM »
Im so so sorry to hear your news, and cant even begin to imagine how you are feeling.

Just enjoy a few precious moments now while you can,

Sending you lots of cocker kisses.

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline allylou

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2009, 08:19:54 AM »
very sorry to hear your sad news

I don't have any personal experience of your situation  but i do hope you find some comfort from others who have had a similar experience. Take care. x
Ally, Marley & Wilbur x

jarbaha

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2009, 08:20:09 AM »
hi enelya  :D

i'm so so sorry to hear this awful news  :'( and my heart goes out to you and your family..

whilst i myself have not had a liver problem.. i have lost a very young dog to kidney faliure ( fn).he was a year and 2 months old...
in the space of over 5 days..
i can only share my emotions and how i felt...
i'm not sure it will help..and its not meant to upset anyone...

i choose a chocolate roan cocker out of a litter..i visited each week..and decided to call him " JARVIS "
he was a stunning dog..he was a typical cocker..
from 6 months of age..he was in and out of the vets...he would be put on a drip..and bounce back..this went on for many months..
then on the weekend before he was pts  :'(..he went down hill so fast..he could keep nothing down..water or food...so on the monday i took him to my vets..and they gave him some antibiotics and treated him for gastric upset tummy..and took him home...well he could'nt hold the pills down..and tuesday he lost the use of his bladder and was not aware he was weeing and collapsed while out walking..so on wedensday they admitted him..by thursday morning..my vet phoned me..to say she had read an article in her vet newspaper..and that she was going to run some more blood tests ect..by then i was getting worried...so i phoned jarvis's breeder..only to be told two weeks prior to this..that a litter sister had died and been confirmed as fn...so i phoned my vet back and told her...i was in floods of tears...angry that something had'nt been picked up ect..before ( which knowing what i do now about fn..he was a ticking time bomb..and could have gone sooner..as they don't live past two years of age)...
anyway ( i'm crying writing this..as i still miss him like mad)..
but on thursday evening the vet asked me to come in..and to spend time with jarvis..which i did..i could'nt stop crying..as he was my baby..he was wagging his tail..and even anti sickness injections did'nt stop him sicking..bless his heart..he did look ill by now..but was so nice spending the time i did with him..but his bun creatine levels were off the ricker scale and he was in kidney faliure..nothing could be done to stop it..or make him well again..and was told that jarvis was in juvinile kidney faliure..fn..
as he was on a drip to flush his kidneys through..that was what was keeping him slightley well..if he had come off of that he may not have made the night..i so wanted to run home with him..but on that day i could'nt say goodbye...i was overwhelmed by what the vet had told me,it would not sink in..as i'm sure you can imagine..i never slept that night..everything went round in my mind..anger at the breeder..anger at the vets..as i was looking to blame someone..which i think grief does this to people...but the following day ..2 days after my birthday on 11th april..i knew i was going into the vets for my final goodbye..i felt sick..i shook all the way there to the vets..and i even asked the vet ( which was nt fair at the time..if jarvis's was her dog what would she do...and she said let him go...i can only just see to write this at present..as i still find it incrediable painful..but i shook like a leaf when i had to sign that euthanasia form..and felt awful and i just wanted to scoop my baby up and run away with him..i think i then went on auto pilot...and seem to follow the vet through to the back room..tears were rolling down my face...when the vet removed his drip..and i sat on the floor cuddling him..he looked into my eyes ( almost as if he was saying let me go mum..my little body can't take anymore)..and i kissed him..and then the anesthic stuff was injected into him..i cried out and said i'm so so sorry...i thought i could be brave...but i could'nt hold my emotions back..at the time i felt so guilty..i know now i did the right thing for jarvis..he would have died anyway..by the end of that weekend..as the vet said he was a very poorly dog..
but saying that even knowing what i know now..i would have still choosen him from the litter..as he was an amazing little dog..and although i only had jarvis for a year and two months..he lived his life to the full..and i have great memories apart from the last 5 days of his life..were everything went wrong for him..

although not the same as you and your dog ..it all happened very quickly over 5 days..i had to get my head around it all..and also my dog was young too..
so i totally understand how you must be feeling, you really can't put into words how you feel..its a extremly hard choice to make..but its also the last kindest thing we can do for our beloved pets...do allow time to grieve..its not easy..and i'm sure like me you will go through a whole range of emotions...
do be kind to yourself..and if brave..try to be their with him until the end..as i held my baby boy..and then after he died in my arms..i just sat and cuddled and kissed him..along with the vet who was crying with me...
i too had jarvis cremated..and i have his ashes in my living room..so he is always with me..

my heart really goes out to you..and your family  :'( :-*

not sure what else to say..apart from i know what its like to loose a baby..who i should have had a lifetime with....

my heart and prayer goes out to you and your wonderful beloved pet..and just to say i'm so so sorry you are having to go through this awful time in your life.. :'( :'(
love terri  :'( :-*

ps/i'm so sorry for my long post...was just trying to put my own experince down

Offline Enelya

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2009, 08:37:35 AM »
Thank you so much for sharing Terri...

It must sound horrible but i too was so angry at the vet. I literally said how dare you even put that on the table after a 15 minute conversation. I was outraged. We have a wellness plan for Maddox ( preventative care really so more checks and updates a year even though he has never been sick a day in his life before this) and he had had a full check up in December giving him a clean bill of health. I couldn't believe this wasn't picked up. I just felt so powerless but I have to come to terms to terms with the fact that these things happen so very quickly.
My husband came home early on Monday morning and found Maddox collapsed in the yard and immediately took him to the vet. We were both shocked that the vet we saw was talking about euthanasia very soon in the conversation and i was upset by that thinking she was being alarmist but when his fluid bag under the chest appeared overnight I knew that although she probably can work some more on her bedside manner she had only tried to get me to grasp how serious the situation was.
the second vet I saw yesterday was miles better at explaining things and i think by then i was prepared to listen properly.
So now we have 48 hours to spoil him and we both have taken off work to do just that. He loves chicken (don't they all?) and going to the seaside so we're going to take him to his favourite spot in the dunes one last time and then if he's up to it we'll take him to his favourite park tomorrow.
Love, E.

Maddox's Momma, living in Manchester

Offline Kimberley

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2009, 08:42:01 AM »
Oh no and so young, sorry to hear this. 
Kim is owned by Coco, Breeze the Cockers and Charlie the (failed foster)Cavi

Offline Surfer Rosa

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2009, 08:42:34 AM »
I am so very sorry. My thoughts are with you at this sad time.   /hug
Eddie, Jake, Setomooncalf and Yoshi
AKA: Abraham Stinkin', Russell Bustle, Jimmy 'The Chin' Smellynellio and Googly Puff.

Offline babushka

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2009, 08:43:11 AM »
So very sorry