Author Topic: Care for their ears - Thornit Ear Powder  (Read 7047 times)

Offline LizH

Care for their ears - Thornit Ear Powder
« on: May 20, 2009, 12:43:40 PM »
Have read Jane S post on Thornit Ear powder but just wanted clarification/opinions on whether I should be using it.

Pebble had an ear infection when she was a puppy (about 7 months old) she had ear drops which did eventually clear it up but it took a while.

Since then I use CleanAural about once every 2 weeks - I do check her ears and am quite fortunate as she does not have a lot of hair inside her ear.

Should I be using thornits as a preventative?
Do you put the powder right into the ear (sorry if that sounds like a stupid question  :embarassed:)
Should I continue to use CleanAural as well - i.e. clean them, wait for them to dry and then Thornits?

Can you guys tell me your routine with regards Cocker Ear Care  ;)

Many thanks
Liz and Pebble x

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
Re: Care for their ears - Thornit Ear Powder
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 01:53:37 PM »

I would also be glad of some information as to using Thornit. Just ordered my first bottle. Jessie has had an ear infection over the past few weeks Has cleared up now after medication prescribed by the vet. Want to use something that hopefully will keep any other infections away. I make sure the hair on her ears are kept short. I have seen posts on the forum recomending Thornit.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 02:04:35 PM »
You can use Thornitt powder as a preventative - I use it about once a month if I remember  ::)  :005:  I don't use anything else - just wipe Coco's ears out with a wipe and when they are dry put a pinch of Thornitt right into the ear canal on the handle of a teaspoon.  Then I give it a good squish around  ;)  When I first got her she had a nasty dose of mites but since then I have only ever used Thornitts and she has never had any more problems.  :D  I do keep the hair on the underneath of her ears trimmed short so that the air can circulate too.  A lot of ear problems are exacerbated by having damp ear canals  :-\
Julie and Watson

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 02:09:14 PM »

Thanks Joules .  Her ear problems start, we found out when she had been swimming in ponds so keep her out now. Don't mean to be a spoil sport, but it is better than her having frequent ear infections.   

Offline PennyB

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 03:43:12 PM »
A lot of ear problems are exacerbated by having damp ear canals  :-\

This has always been Wilf's problem which is why I stopped going to the vets with them as the only solutions were putting in stuff that was wet and so his ears took forever to get better.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Lynne L

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 08:33:17 PM »
Have to say we are Thornit converts and agree with Penny that wet ear solutions seemed to cause more problems for Paddy. I do give his ears a clean with Clean Aural every now again but otherwise use the Thornit powder with v.good results.
Lynne

Offline Monty Mumma

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 09:07:50 PM »

Thanks Joules .  Her ear problems start, we found out when she had been swimming in ponds so keep her out now. Don't mean to be a spoil sport, but it is better than her having frequent ear infections.   

Exactly the same problem with my Monty!! We we finally found a wonderful vet who took swabs and cultured them to find out what bacteria was causing all the probs and it a bacteria specifically found in stagnant water - no more swimming but like you say a very small price to pay to prevent all those awful ear infections.

I have just ordered thornits and also a bottle of clean aural off the internet as it was cheaper than buying it from the vets as they insist on an appointment just to let us have it which is £30 alone!

I am praying that thornits will prevent anymore infections....goodluck everyone! :D

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 09:47:54 PM »
Where can you get Thornits from, please.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 10:04:27 PM »

Lots of places sell it online.  If you do a search you will find it.

Here is one:  http://www.petmeds.co.uk/p-528-thornit-ear-powder.aspx
Julie and Watson

Offline SimonandMandy

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 10:05:12 PM »
Can only highly recommend thornits although we agree to disagree with our vet who not surprisingly is not in favour of it (it is not medicated and therefore not vet approved).  Harvey is a mud monster and always wet and we use thornits as a preventer.  We had slipped on this a couple of months back and his ears had started to turn - the vets first reaction again was to say they wanted to knock him out and clean his ears which is the second time he has requested this.  I refused and said only if thornits did not work.  Treated again for a week with thornits and again it proved its worth.  We have had our 20g bottle for 14 months now and are only about half through so it is the best £7 you could spend...

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 10:45:57 PM »

Lots of places sell it online.  If you do a search you will find it.

Here is one:  http://www.petmeds.co.uk/p-528-thornit-ear-powder.aspx

Thank you.  Am off to order some.

Offline LizH

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 10:40:35 AM »
How often should you use it?
Liz and Pebble x

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 02:32:13 PM »
Depends on the state of your dog's ears really  ;)  I use it about every one or two months on Coco - if I remember that is  ::) :005:
Julie and Watson

Offline Monty Mumma

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2009, 02:54:24 PM »
I received my thornits from petmeds this morning, smells lovely and medical! I literally asked my vet the other day was there any sort of powder on the market that you can use on dogs who suffer with damp problems in their ears to 'dry' them out, no nothing he replied....so helpful, thank goodness for the internet and next time I see him I shall tell him all about thornits!

Offline SimonandMandy

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2009, 03:14:24 PM »
For maintenance we use it when his ears stop smelling of thornits... about every 2-3 weeks but we have a proper mud boy who likes to swim and dive most days so is consistently wet and dirty...

There is a sheet that comes with thornits (we got ours from Champion Pet Supplies) for problem times which says twice a day and after 5 days ear should be pink if not you are probably not using enough.  This has worked for us in this timescale on the 2 occasions Harv has had ear problems