Author Topic: Cocker or Springer ?  (Read 5437 times)

Offline mel1961red

• Bailey
Cocker or Springer ?
« on: September 07, 2009, 09:39:52 PM »
Hi I wondered if some one could help me I have brought what I believed to be a Cocker Spaniel he is three months old but everyone I see say he is a Springer the vet thinks hes is a working cocker so I am very confused I brought him from a lady that was just pregnant and could not cope with him and a new baby and two other children so she had no papers for him but assured me he was a cocker this is my first Spaniel so I am learning things all the time Ive always had dogs just never a spaniel please help I love him to bits so it wont make a difference what he is but I am interested to know

Offline Maria n Dennis

• Donator
Re: Cocker or Springer ?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 09:42:57 PM »
Sounds to me like you may have a working cocker  :D but im no expert  :D

Welcome to COL , do you have any pictures of him  :luv:

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 09:45:03 PM »
We really need a photo so we can help :D. what colour is he?

Welcome to COL :blink:

ETA here is a link which explains a bit about working cockers, there are also photos which might help you :D http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=40635.0

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 09:46:45 PM »
He probably is a working Cocker, lots of people seem to buy them thinking they are getting the show type, and the "breeders" don't put them right. :-\

You've come to the right place to learn all about your little one, what's his name? :D
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 09:47:05 PM »
A lot of working cocker owners are frequently asked if they have a Springer, but we would really need photos to give any better advice!!

Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 09:49:09 PM »
What colour is he? As said working Cocker pups can look a lot like Springers to the untrained eye so he could be a working Cocker, this could also mean he is quite a different proposition to what you thought you were getting if you were looking for a show type Cocker.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 09:51:02 PM »
As others have said, a lot of people aren't familiar with working cockers and confuse them with springers as they can have similar head shapes and higher set ears. Working cockers come in a range of sizes and body shapes also so can easily be confused with Springers by people who aren't that aware of the breed.

We DO need photo's though to advise you anymore.. did you get any papers with him or do you know anymore about his background/breeding? You may have a very active, busy little dog there that will need a lot of training and stimulation to get the best out of him :luv: :luv:

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline mel1961red

• Bailey
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 09:53:15 PM »
He is brown and white have his picture as my profile pic now his name Is Bailey as Im new to this how do I load some bigger pics of him

Offline mel1961red

• Bailey
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 09:56:02 PM »
Dont have any papers for him as the lady I got him from had hom only two weeks she said he was pure bred but the breeder did not have papers for him which I find a bit curious any way hes a family pet so I wasnt bothered about papers at all he is quite big for 14 weeks I think

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 09:57:14 PM »
Cockers do come in liver and white, it's hard to tell when they're so young and from such a small photo but on the avatar he does look Springery, that photo doesn't look like a working Cocker to me. He could also be a Sprocker (Springer/Cocker cross) if not a show Cocker, looking at the photo he has the domed head and longer ears of a show type... Bigger photos would definitely help, you need to upload them to a hosting website such as Flickr or Photobucket and then copy them across to the forum from there.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 09:58:50 PM »
I'd say more likely springer by the looks of it although you do get working cockers with the same liver and white markings. Hard to tell at that age unless you can compare him with other springers of the same age.

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 09:58:57 PM »
Here's the link to instructions on how to load photos - it's easy once you get the hang of it http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=15703.0.

Bailey is gorgeous :luv: :luv: :luv:

x In memory of Barney x

Offline sharonmansfield

• Donator
  • Bluebell and Jasmine
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 10:03:14 PM »
Oh he is absolutely adorable, he looks a bit springery but its hard to tell from a small photo. What a cute puppy, is he good for you?
Cocker Spaniels are like chocolates you can never have just one!

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2009, 10:12:46 PM »
Whatever he is, he is gorgeous. :luv:

Can you ask the person you got him from for the name of the breeder, and you could contact her to find out if she registered the litter?
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline mel1961red

• Bailey
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2009, 10:16:43 PM »
He has been fantastic so far he has been crated from and early age so goes in at night and sleeps hes at that terrible biting age though and wants to eat everything in site including the plants in the garden generally for a puppy hes very well behaved hes such good fun but hard work loves shoes all shapes and sizes has loads of toys including his very own shoe but not content with that