Author Topic: Spaying - am I being over charged?  (Read 1960 times)

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
Re: Spaying - am I being over charged?
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2009, 08:51:24 PM »
Would have to agree with others that a long journey wouldn't be fair, and if she stayed with them for a few days to recuperate I would think it would just confuse her. And they can be so messed up after an anesthetic as it is. What about you both paying half each?

Millie

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2009, 09:03:05 PM »
Personnal I wouldn't want to undertake a journey after such a major opreation with my dog.

I paid about £240 I think but my dad paid £306 for his cocker including precheck bloods only a few months ago, but they are worth every penny  :luv:

Offline MrsJude

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2009, 02:14:52 PM »
Hi, we're in greater london/Surrey.... just paid £185.00 for Lilly to be spayed last month.  We rang around several vets on recommendation from friends etc, and the price ranged between £165 and £225 for a dog weighing less than 10kg (Lilly weighed 9.2kg).  She also needed an umbilical hernia stitched and that price ranged between £40 and £100  :o  Our local vet agreed to do it for £40, so we went with them at £185 for the spay.
They also would only supply a lampshade/collar thingy at an extra cost on top.

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2009, 02:45:28 PM »
Usual in Edinburgh is £130-£200. I paid £150 for Arwen a couple of months ago. We get our rescues done for about £80 with a lovely big discount. £225 is ridicuous and no way should a vet charge that. There aren't any anaesthetics that cost loads more than others.....

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2009, 02:47:40 PM »
I understand your situation is unusual and I really really hope i dont come across as being horrible here but im going to say what im thinking  ph34r ph34r

I wouldnt let them take her back to wales for the op. I think it would be so so confusing for her to see them and stay with them after the anesthetic  :-\

You have done so well settling her into your home and had great results with the shadow chasing  :D it does makes me wonder how little they were stimulating her and what led to her shadow chasing in the first place  :'(

I would actually use the fact she needs speyed as an oppertunity to talk to them about legally signing her over to you. Its just MHO but she seems much happier with your family and the longer she stays and more settled she becomes the harder it will be for her to go back and they dont sound the best owners anyway  ph34r

Im so sorry if this offends you its really not my intention I would just hate to see all your hard work with her go to waste and the poor love back to having the problems she was in the first place.

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2009, 02:55:47 PM »
I understand your situation is unusual and I really really hope i dont come across as being horrible here but im going to say what im thinking  ph34r ph34r

I wouldnt let them take her back to wales for the op. I think it would be so so confusing for her to see them and stay with them after the anesthetic  :-\

You have done so well settling her into your home and had great results with the shadow chasing  :D it does makes me wonder how little they were stimulating her and what led to her shadow chasing in the first place  :'(

I would actually use the fact she needs speyed as an oppertunity to talk to them about legally signing her over to you. Its just MHO but she seems much happier with your family and the longer she stays and more settled she becomes the harder it will be for her to go back and they dont sound the best owners anyway  ph34r

Im so sorry if this offends you its really not my intention I would just hate to see all your hard work with her go to waste and the poor love back to having the problems she was in the first place.

I agree. I'd hate to see her go back to them if she has these issues, they dont arise overnight! Is she insured in your name and what about chipped? If either of these are in your details then you have legal rights to her. The laws surrounding dog ownership is rubbish so its a bit like the good old 'possession is nine tenths of the law'.

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline Mittens

• Rock Steady Eddie
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2009, 03:14:32 PM »

Im so sorry if this offends you its really not my intention

No - it doesn't offend me at all  :blink: I'm pretty much on the same wavelength as you over it - I could fill a whole, long post with the details, but I won't. The shadow chasing came from the boys constantly shining torches on walls etc and her not being exercised enough. They're not bad people, just bad dog owners!  :-\

I have phoned around and another local vet has quoted 188 pounds. I'm going to phone Ruby's old mum tonight and say that I think it is ill advised for her to travel all that way for an op (basically, they are attending a wedding in Wales that same weekend and want to drop her at the vets and then get her mum to collect her and look after her!) and suggest we split the cost. She needs doing soon or she will have to wait until after her next season - and that will be a nightmare as Eddie is 7 months now!

I am hoping that they will see common sense - it's really just one of the four kids (who is 15 and about to start a new school in a new country and town) who is being really difficult about giving her up - but I suspect he'll be bored of her in a nano second and the promises to walk her daily will vanish again - they keep asking to come see her, but then don't go through with it - besides Eddie adores her so i'm hoping he will be my trump card! wish me luck!  :blink:

ps - i knew it would be a difficult situation when we agreed to it - but i don't regret a minute of having her - and those that know me know how determined i am at getting my own way!  ;)
Tracey, Eddie and Ruby

• Donator
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2009, 03:23:24 PM »
Right now I am going to say something that probably will be seen as sneeky and horrible BUT after that last post I dont think they should be allowed her back and dont think they deserve her  >:D

I would get her spayed and insured and pay for it all yourself  and if they ask her back refuse and if it gets as far as a court say they gave her to you and were not even paying towards her medical costs  ph34r

I know that sounds pretty bad but its not fair on you, ruby or Eddie to keep this dragging on.

If that seems too harsh I would prob be at the stage of issuing them an ultimatum of they sign her over or take her back and praying they signed her over  ph34r

I just couldnt put in all that work to then give her back to crappy owners and I think if ruby had a choice she wouldnt choose to live with them again

Offline Mittens

• Rock Steady Eddie
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2009, 03:37:27 PM »
I think if ruby had a choice she wouldnt choose to live with them again

thanks - I'm hoping there's no falling outs as it's the new partner of my OH's best friend from school (OH and him been best buddies since they were about 5) and it would break his heart if it came to ultimatums! I think a calm, reasoned case for spaying her here and then staying with us should work. They are in the process of moving house, merging two sets of kids into one family, starting new job, new schools..... so I think Ruby is safely out of the way!  :005:

and yes, if you had seen her this morning when i woke, asleep on my pillow (how do they squash into a space between your head and the headboard without you waking?) with Eddie asleep on her back (and me hanging out the bed!) I'd agree she is happy where she is!  :luv:
Tracey, Eddie and Ruby

• Donator
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2009, 03:40:27 PM »
good luck  :D

Il keep my fingers crossed your chat goes well and Ruby gets to stay with you  :D :luv:

Offline Mittens

• Rock Steady Eddie
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2009, 11:05:13 AM »
Just an update - Ruby is to be spayed in London at my local vet  :lol2:  :banana: I'm so pleased she won't be traveling to Wales again.

The whole family are coming round on Monday night to see her and I am going to talk to them about her future, and hopefully get the kids to see how happy she is with Eddie and how much better off in terms of lifestyle she is with us. I think if the kids stop nagging mum, we will get a proper decision made (I think perhaps mum is dithering as she doesn't want to upset the kids). I hope I'm doing the right thing - i'll let everyone know the outcome - and thanks for all the advice  :luv: 
Tracey, Eddie and Ruby

Offline 1sttimecockermum

• Donator
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2009, 11:12:15 AM »
For what it's worth I really hope that the family decide to let you keep Ruby - she has come a long way in a short time being with you, Fingers crossed here for you  :-*
Owned by Dennis the Menace and Ruby Dooby Doo

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2009, 12:14:26 PM »
For what it's worth I really hope that the family decide to let you keep Ruby - she has come a long way in a short time being with you, Fingers crossed here for you  :-*

Me too.  :luv:  Ruby sounds so much happier and has a much better life with you.  :D

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2009, 01:56:27 PM »
Good luck for monday, I will be keeping my fingers crossed for a positive outcome to all this ;)
Jo, Belle and Monty