Author Topic: Noah acting strange...  (Read 18279 times)

Offline Canter3

Noah acting strange...
« on: February 14, 2010, 12:42:53 PM »
Hello,

I wondered if anyone had any advice...Noah has suddenly started acting strange in the last hour or so...we were sitting on the sofa when he suddenly got up and started sniffing around manically, he was also licking his lips.  He the got down off the sofa and ran into the kitchen, when I followed him I found him sitting in his crate.  He loves his crate but it's just the unusual way he ran into it.  Then he lay down and when I went to stroke him he seemed to be trembling.  Noah then came out again and proceeded to run around the room, with his back legs really low to the ground.  I sat on the floor and he came and sat behind me (pushed himself between me and the wall) and his heart was racing.  He then went by the back door so we let him out thinking he needed a wee but he just ran straight to the gate (which is the opposite direction to the garden/grass) we called him through to the garden and he was kind of dancing around our legs then he ran under a bush and when my OH went to reach to coax him out he growled (!) then started digging frantically.  We took him back inside but he kept wanting to go out so we let him out twice more but he just wanted to 'hide' under the bush or sit by the gate.  He's back inside now but keeps going by the door and whining.  He seems quite agitated and we are quite worried because he has never acted like this before.  I thought with the lip licking he might have been feeling nauseous or have a tummy ache but if he has been sick previously he's never acted like this beforehand?  Has anyone had any experience of this kind of behaviour?  Noah is 9 months old, male.

Thanks

Leanne
Noah-Bear and Lea X

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
Re: Noah acting strange...
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 12:57:26 PM »
Oh dear I hope he is back to normal soon, I am sure someone with a bit more experience will be along soon to give advice, the only thing that sprang to mind was maybe he is constipated ??? when did he poo last or could he have been stung?? If he carries on like he is it may be advisable to contact your on call Vet for advice ;)
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline Canter3

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 01:09:25 PM »
Thanks - we decided to take him for a short walk - he seemed ok during the walk and he pooed as normal.  He started pulling and panting like mad as we got closer to home though as now he is lying down on the kitchen floor...
Noah-Bear and Lea X

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 01:17:33 PM »
in season bitch close by  :huh:

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 02:08:22 PM »
in season bitch close by  :huh:
I thought the same as Crazy Cocker Gang.
There was a thread on here a few days ago
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=69729.0
Hope it is all that is wrong with Noah.  :luv:
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 02:16:11 PM »

That was my first thought, too....
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline maggieann

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 02:18:42 PM »

I also thought the same thing.
Torin & Me

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

Offline Canter3

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 02:30:26 PM »
Thanks for your replies-if it is an in-season bitch nearby is there any advice on what I should/shouldn't do during this time?
He is currently sitting in his crate staring into space occassionally omitting the odd whine. When he comes into the living room he tries to bolt behind the tv (something he normally doesn't do) which is not good because there's a few wires etc behind there!!
Should I try to continue as normal? It's worrying me as he usually always wants to be around us but is instead chosing to be in a different room. I usually can't move without him following me but he's just ignoring both me and OH at the moment... :huh:
Noah-Bear and Lea X

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 02:46:30 PM »
Could be an in season bitch as the others have said.

But trembling can be a sign of pain. Have you checked the colour of his gums, are they nice and pink.

When you press on them does the colour come back quickly. It is hard to say what is wrong He hasn't eaten anything he shouldn't has he ?
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 02:57:29 PM »
Have you read all the thread I gave you?
Do his symptons seem similar to what other owners have described.
You say that he appeared normal on his walk but acts differently at home.
Do any of your neighbours have bitches?
I only have girls now but my previous boy just didn't want to know me when he had the scent of a bitch in season  ;)
If it is a bitch in season, make sure he can't get out.  Dogs can be VERY determined when a bitch is in season.
Keep him on a lead at all times when out.  Try to be understanding of his hormones.  The boy just can't help himself  :luv:
ladylola has also given you good advice.

Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 03:27:44 PM »
Wonder if he's been bitten by a spider or something since it's so sudden  :dunno:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 04:44:20 PM »
I'm also wondering if he was bitten by something. I'm also concerned he could have taken a petit-mal, which is a very mild fit, although I don't want to alarm you. I think it may be best if you take him to the vet and describe exactly what happened, and see what they say. It hopefully will never happen again though.
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline Mybuddies

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2010, 05:01:24 PM »

Sounds like he his in a bit of discomfort  :-\  but just a thought check his bottom ,  is he sensitive around it,   is there a red mark or abcess there,  its where the anal glands can erupt in an abcess if they have been full for a while ;),    it is really quite painfull and sore if it is and can make them act quite odd  ;)

Offline dottysmum

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2010, 05:44:01 PM »
I was thinking the same as Rats and Dogs, I have an Akita and when he was about 6 mths old he started behaving much like your boy has, he started to tremble and run about in a very weird way, he started to growl and appeared not to know me and was very disorientated and distressed.The vet advised us to keep a close eye on him and said in alot of cases these fits are  just a one off and sometimes they can briefly lose their sight during the fit, this explains the growling and distress. My lad has never had another and is fit as a fiddle. Try not to worry too much and pop him to the vets , at least it'll put your mind at ease

Offline Canter3

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2010, 06:18:32 PM »
Thank you all so much for your replies. We monitored him at home until about 3pm and then he started racing around knocking against the walls & kitchen cupboards & we decided we to take him to the vets. He always likes to snuggle up on our laps & have a cuddle but is never too keen on being picked up & wi usually wriggle around, when I picked him up however he just kind of went limp in my arms & 'clung' on to me (wrapped his front paws tight around my arm).  He also goes wild for food (we can't even verbally day the 'f-word' in our house as it starts a twirling, leaping frenzy of excitement) but when we mentioned it at around 2pm, which is his snack time) he simply wasn't interested.

The vet checked his temperature, ears, eyes, mouth, had a good feel of his body/legs/tummy and listened to his heart-all apparently fine. She did agree that he seemed skittish & was strangely shaking his head/licking his lips etc. She suggested he had maybe eaten something he shouldn't-obviously we can't 100% say he hasn't eaten anything when out walking (though he definitely hasn't had anything he shouldn't in the house) but he was on his extender lead this morning for his walk & apart from telling him 'leave' the odd thing (plastic bottle, plastic bag) I can honestly say there was nothing I noticed, and I do watch him like a hawk, but I also know you can never say they didn't eat something!! He's going to stay in tonight (it's a vet hospital) and be put on a saline drip in case of anything to flush out. We're just heading back with
some food supplies for him & his blanket and a few toys. We are so worried about him. We couldve taken him home and kept an eye on him but to be honest I could not bear to see him in discomfort without at least trying to do something for him. We'll ring up later tonight for an update & the vet said they can do a blood test tomorrow if we want-which we do. Until then we're heading home to an empty & undoubtedly quiet house-which will be just horrible.   
Noah-Bear and Lea X