Author Topic: running Nose  (Read 953 times)

Offline yogesh

• me and my pet
running Nose
« on: April 08, 2010, 06:17:45 PM »
my dog is suffering from running nose. i was giving her ice regularly to eat because of high temperature here.  i don't know whats wrong...she plays well.. but now a days she sleeps a lot and eats less food.... the liquid coming out of her nostril is completely transparent.......please suggest what are the precautions and what is the best remedy....?

Thank you.

Yogesh Aggarwal.
my closest friend-

Offline yogesh

• me and my pet
Re: running Nose
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 02:17:41 AM »
Today she ate all the raw food and milk......what should i do for normal cold to dog?
my closest friend-

Offline yogesh

• me and my pet
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 07:14:06 AM »
she ate two bowls of pedigree puppy food with milk till afternoon now.... however she likes to sleep a lot and she drinks water a lot......please suggest what i can give her to make her better and make her free from runny nose and cough..

what about boiled eggs..

Thank you.

Yogesh.
my closest friend-

Offline coralee

• How YOU doin'?
    • Occasionally Obsessed about Nothing
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 08:35:20 AM »
Yogesh - this is obviously a very big worry, I wonder why more experienced owners haven't answered  :dunno:- the only advice I can offer, is that if she has a runny nose and cough she should be seen by a vet. Not sure that milk is the best to give her with regards to liquids...just keep the water there for her and see a vet as soon as you can.

I hope she gets better very soon
To err is human, to forgive is canine.

Offline coralee

• How YOU doin'?
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 09:03:34 AM »
Yogesh - are you in Turkey? I've had a little experience with vets over there (I lived in Turkey for a little while, and worked with animal rescue whilst I was there) - I know it costs an awful lot of money to visit the vets, but I really think this is something that a vet would need to see - coughing is a symptom that should be checked out properly...I keep my fingers crossed as I know you love your pup dearly.

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 09:43:20 AM »

I suspect people haven't answered because they haven't seen the thread... most of this appeared overnight (UK time), and with the photo competition results being posted, I suspect they are most people's first port of call, for a quick check before rushing off to work!).

If it's just a runny nose with a little cough, I wouldn't worry - Honey has had a cold before and she certainly didn't suffer from it at all.  If the cough is persistent and hacking, it could be Kennel Cough.... try a little children's Benylin or Manuka Honey to relieve the symptoms, and make sure he doesn't meet any other dogs, as it is highly infectious.  As long as he is eating and drinking, there's really not a lot else to do... if he stops eating and drinking definately get him to the vets, as puppy's can go downhill quickly when they stop taking in nutrients.

I would also do as coralee advises and stop giving milk - many dogs do not tolerate milk well, and these symptoms could simply be a sign of lactose intolerance...  :-\  Stick with water to drink, and simple easily digested food to eat (eggs can be very good for this...).  I'm not sure what exactly you are feeding her, as you seem to mention lots of different foods... her normal puppy food would also be fine.   ;)
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline yogesh

• me and my pet
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 10:33:36 AM »
thank you people,

i live in new Delhi India... its quite hot here approx 41'c in afternoon and you can not go out to place feet on floor........that much hot...

she breaths from her nose that is not a issue now.. her nostrils release transparent liquid.... she is good today she played well with me in the afternoon at home.....

but i am confused as running nose is quit more dangerous symptoms...i live in that part of Delhi where vet is quit difficult to find and we have few but they are not near to me....

so first suggestion's are always welcomed.
my closest friend-

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 09:30:11 PM »

I'm not sure why you feel a runny nose is a serious symptom?
As long as it is clear fluid, and is not accompanied by serious hacking cough, fever, loss of appetite etc, then there's no reason to suspect he won't just recover after a couple of days of extra loving care!!!  :luv:

Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline coralee

• How YOU doin'?
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 09:06:30 AM »
Yogesh - just to reassure you, Karma is a much more experienced owner than I am, my original comment would be how I would react if I found Harvey with a cough and running nose (and of course, I'm just a short walk to my vets,). Bearing in mind your situation - I would monitor your pup as Karma suggests...but if pup is becoming distressed/not eating/sluggish, etc, get her to the vet as Karma suggests...unless you feel in your gut there's a real problem, then of course, a vets advice will reassure you.

Offline yogesh

• me and my pet
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 11:57:19 AM »
thank you for your comments.....i went to vet , he said she is just suffering from normal temperature change...  yesterday i bought some boiled eggs and gave to her... she was quit happy ate all of them now........runny nose is not that much but yes some times it is...............vet said no medicine will work however if you like to you can offer benadryl (cough syrup in India ) 1ml per day to avoid rish further.......

thank you.

Yogesh Aggarwal.
my closest friend-

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 08:49:16 PM »
My cockers sometimes have a ruuny nose especially on a warm day, but they are really well  :blink: only had there annual check yesterday  :blink: