Author Topic: Charlie's had his second jabs  (Read 518 times)

Offline grracee

Charlie's had his second jabs
« on: April 29, 2010, 11:36:00 AM »
Took Charlie to the vets today to have his second jabs and he was very well behaved! Never even flinched. :D
The vet checked him over and said everything was fine except his right testical hasn't 'dropped' yet. He said if it still hasnt by the time he is around 6-7 months old we will have to have him castrated as it will sweat and can cause a tumour. So i'm just hoping that will change in the next few months! Has anyone else experienced this with cocker spaniels??
I also wondered how long after the second injection do you have to wait until it's ok to take them for a walk?? I did ask the vet and he said up to 10 days but im sure when i had my lab i took him out basically straight away :huh:
Very pleased with my vets this time though, last time I went there (which was ages ago) they weren't very helpful and I probably would have said I wouldn't have taken them there again but they have a new vet this time and he seemed alot nicer and more educated (think thats the right way to put it)  :D

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
Re: Charlie's had his second jabs
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 11:40:07 AM »
Well done Charlie for being so brave :luv:

I was told 7 days after 2nd jab but not sure if this varies between 7-14 days depending on jab given?  Sure someone will advise accordingly.   ;)
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline stephremon

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 11:51:29 AM »
my mum's cocker didn't drop his second testicle until 9months :) it just appeared one day, it as maller but has grown to the same size as the other 1 now. he was 1yr a couple of weeks ago :)

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 06:07:59 PM »
With Jeff we only had to wait three days after the second jab. Only of his balls hadn't dropped when he was castrated, so they simply made an extra little hole and helped it on it's way. Apparently it was on the brink so it was easy; sometimes they can be quite well hidden inside!

Offline nickycnc

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 07:03:48 PM »
Charley had her 2nd jab 2 weeks ago and our vet said give it a week. I think it can vary with vets anywhere between 1-2 weeks. You might be intending to do so already but if not I would highly recommend keeping him off lead as much as possible were safe. Charley hasn't been on the lead in the park since going out last Saturday and she doesn't go more than about 10ft away...I love it and it's so refreshing to have a dog magnet...(my other one doesn't, hence they don't get walked together). I keep the lead training in the garden for now, and for about 30secs in the park just to get her used to it.

Good luck ;)
Mum to 2 girls, Darcy & Charley

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 07:53:36 PM »
Hopefully Charlie's other testicle will appear of its own accord.  A male cocker i know didn't have his 2nd testicle appear until he was 12 months old....just to make you aware & you don't necessarily have to get Charlie castrated at such a young age. Most vets seem to automatically offer the same advice but ime its not always necessary.  ;)

I've always taken mine out 1 week after their 2nd vaccination.  :blink:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline grracee

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 08:19:50 PM »
Thanks for all the replies!  :D
There is a local dog show in my area this sunday and I was hoping to take Charlie along but I didn't know about having to wait around a week after 2nd jab as like i said before when i had my lab as a puppy around 7 years ago i took him out pretty soon afterwards. Oh well, perhaps i'll just carry him up there for a look around! :D