Author Topic: Chewing Gum  (Read 579 times)

Offline coralee

• How YOU doin'?
    • Occasionally Obsessed about Nothing
Chewing Gum
« on: April 29, 2010, 07:44:43 AM »
Harvey's just raided my bag - and found a packet of Extra chewing gum...there are 4 bits left in it, and I know I'd had a couple of bits...so he *may* have eaten maybe 4 bits.., but he may not have eaten any - I really can't remember how many bits I had left in the packet - this was about half an hour ago - He's happy and bouncy...and acting normal

I've searched COL- and found a couple of threads...which explains about xylitol and that it's poisonous

Is a couple of pieces of chewing gum enough to cause poisoning? Or would he need to eat a packet full? How do I know if he's been affected?
To err is human, to forgive is canine.

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
Re: Chewing Gum
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 08:03:29 AM »
Here's me thinking I had the naughtiest pup on here!! :005:   Hope he's doing OK and someone on here can put your mind at rest.  ;)
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Doggiecrazy

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 08:06:27 AM »
Hi, There is an article on wikipedia... don't know how usefull it is because some things on wikipedia aren't very good.

this is the article copied and pasted - Dogs that have ingested foods containing high levels of xylitol (greater than 100 milligram of xylitol consumed per kilogram of bodyweight) have presented with low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) which can be life-threatening.[31] Low blood sugar can result in a loss of coordination, depression, collapse and seizures in as soon as 30 minutes.[32][33] Intake of very high doses of xylitol (greater than 500 – 1000 mg/kg bwt) has also been implicated in liver failure in dogs, which can be fatal.[34] These are points of controversy, however, as earlier World Health Organization studies using much higher doses on dogs for long periods showed no ill effect.[35] A study published in the Journal of Veterinary Pharmacology and Therapeutics involved two groups of 8 Pekingese dogs fed either 1 or 4 g/kg of xylitol. In addition to developing hypoglycemia, all of the dogs developed elevation of liver enzymes associated with liver damage. The dogs also developed reduced serum phosphorus and potassium and increased serum calcium.

I just searched xylitol on wikki and it came up with the article which then if you scroll down it says about dogs. Hope he is ok
One cocker leads to another...

Offline coralee

• How YOU doin'?
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 08:29:59 AM »
Thank you guys - doing a google always scares the bejeezus out of me, there are so many horror stories that come up...

After some research (I know more about chewing gum than really is healthy now!!) I don't think the flavour of "Extra" chewing gum that Harvey hogged has xylitol in it...it seems only the dark blue flavour and the silver packet flavour has it in - so, if he has had four bits, I'm just hoping they get through him ok...the chances are that he didn't have any, and that the four bits I found were the only bits there!

Fingers crossed  ph34r

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 08:58:33 AM »
Oh Harvey!!!!!!!!! You are determined to give your mum grey hairs aren't you!!!

Our old border collie was a demon for handbag fleecing... of course way before t'internet was around so we generally just had to wait and see... luckily his worse side effect was the ability to knock us out at six paces with his laser breathe after scoffing tunes and lockets  :005:

Based on what you've said sounds like the little muncher will be fine.... gotta have eyes in the back of your head with them (or everything six foot off the ground!)  :luv:
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline nickycnc

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 07:09:21 PM »
I'm sure he'll be fine if you think it was one without xylitol in it. It used to really worry me when Darcy was a pup and she used to pick spat out chewing gum up in the park >:D. I think it's worse not knowing sometimes.
Mum to 2 girls, Darcy & Charley

Offline coralee

• How YOU doin'?
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 08:03:30 PM »
Well, even though there really are a few more grey hairs - he's been fine all day!! Little  >:D

Now I just have to figure out a way to stop him digging in his water bowl!!

Offline Doggiecrazy

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 04:54:12 PM »
Glad he is ok  :D
One cocker leads to another...

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 05:25:39 PM »
Glad all is well again (for now :005: :005:)
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!