Author Topic: Grass Seed In Ear - taken to vets :o( *UPDATED  (Read 6175 times)

Offline rupertsmum

Grass Seed In Ear - taken to vets :o( *UPDATED
« on: June 24, 2010, 11:10:34 AM »
Me and Rupert were out for a walk today when he screeched and came running over to me shaking his head and holding it to one side   :huh:

I immediately thought of grass seeds as the vet had warned us but could not see anything in his ear. However he wasn't happy and refused to walk anywhere so I had to call vet then carry him all the way there  :embarassed:

They have now kept him in to knock him out and try and remove it (if that is what has happened) and I am so upset  :'(

As he is our first dog the last 5months have been a bit of a steep learning curve. I'm sure lots of you have had this happen and its not as bad (I hope) as I think but hes only little and it broke my heart leaving him there crying out for me....

Offline SimonandMandy

Re: Grass Seed In Ear - taken to vets :o(
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 11:26:00 AM »
It is often the very tiny ones that go down deep so you did the right thing.  Harv in his first year managed to get one in each eye a week apart, then one down his ear... - they know how to test

If it helps, they only lightly sedate as it is a quick job to have a look and remove so Rupert will be full of beans again in no time...

Offline rupertsmum

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 11:35:22 AM »
awww poor Harvey  :luv:

thanks for reply, hope it will be fine, its our first proper trip to the vet so am being a fretting mum  ::)

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 12:09:28 PM »
Don't worry, it's pretty standard. Just make sure it's not a Sunday or Bank Holiday or your vets price will be sky high. Keli's first ear seed was a Bank Holiday and it cost a fortune. Less us know the outcome.
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline rupertsmum

Re: Grass Seed In Ear - taken to vets :o( *UPDATED
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 05:54:28 PM »
So... I have just got Rupert back

there was a HUGE grass seed  :embarassed:

But also the vet discovered that he has some sort of infection in both his ears, not sure of the cause, they are going to send off some swabs to check it out

Now the vet says that the infection was very far down the ear canal right next to the eardrum and there was nothing we could have done to have cleaned it ourselves.

I mentioned that I had seen Thornits (sp?) on here, to be honest I wasn't entirely sure what it was and she had never heard of it. I said it was a powder and she said you must never put powder down the ear  :huh:  as the powder dries the wax then remains in the ear canal as it has no where to go.

So i was wondering if anyone on here had any opinion on the whole matter as I really trust what you all say and you have had much more experience with cocker spaniels!

Rupert is back on form and is already chewing his favourite toy  :luv:

Thanks in advance

Offline hamfam

• Site Member
  • Lucy Blue roan beauty
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 07:16:51 PM »
Thornits is fine it has been in use by breeders for many years, you only use a pinch in each year once a month or so. I and many others have used it without any adverse effects, in fact i have never heard of thornits causing any problems at all.

Be wary of taking everything a vet says as gospel i have pulled a vet up for miss prescribing medicine for Lucy and i am not alone! Some vets, and i'm not saying your vet or all vets, don't like thornits because a small tub costing £5 will last a year or two and there is no profit in it for them.
Modern veterinary medicines are far more potent than thornits and have a corresponding price tag, but thornits is not so much a cure as a preventative medicine. So as far as my opinion goes i would thoroughly endorse thornits and would question the wisdom of a vet who has never come across thornits

BTW thornits was in use as a dental antiseptic long before the modern day antibiotics where adopted.

Another recommendation if he is picking up grass seeds is to check Rupert regularly for seeds in his armpits and small lumps where they have got under the skin on the top of his paws, or between his toes. if you find one does get under the skin then Silica from boots homoeopathic range given one a day for a week will normally draw them out, but if it isn't sorted after a week then go see the vet. Don't ask me how homoeopathic silica works - as an engineer it would seem to be mumbo jumbo rather than a credible treatment but work it definitely does ;)

Grass seeds are a real pain >:D

If it's not wet and sloppy, it's not a real kiss

Offline SimonandMandy

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 07:20:41 PM »
Yes vets are very anti thornits as it is not medicated or tested.  We use it with great success though and had a vet concede that ears were better twice when he was threatening need for GA.  He wouldn't attribute it to thornits though.  

There is a sticky on thornits under health and if you do a search you will find lots of experiences - we get ours from Champion Pet Supplies but Pet Meds is another place, you only need a small bottle as lasts a good 12 months...

Offline rupertsmum

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 08:16:18 PM »
thats really interesting about the thornits thank you!

I'll order some today and am on grass seed duty now after every walk  :police:

So glad we had insurance price so far ... £388  :o

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 09:01:59 PM »
I use Thornits on all my gang - I remember to do it once a month by always doing it on pay day!!! The bottle was fairly expensive but lasts absolutely ages.  I use the wrong end of a teaspoon, and just put that amount in each of the 4 dogs' ears.
I also put a snood on Harriet, and always did with Buffy too.  Never had the dreaded grass seeds.  Some people take the mickey, others love it and wish they had thought of it and then I see them later with snoods on their dogs too!
Good luck!!!
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline carolinemaltas

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 04:09:45 PM »
As always this forum come up trumps. Henry our 21 month old blue roan cocker has today been for a long walk with us and this afternoon yelps and is holding his head to one side and shaking his head . He has calmed abit now and has fallen asleep. I will make an appointment with the vet first thing in the morning. I am presuming he has picked up a seed. I dont really want to call the emergency vet as I know the cost can be astronomical. He does seem calm and fairly comfortable at the moment so hopefully he will last out until the morning. I will watch him like a hawk though in case it get worse.

Offline rupertsmum

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 04:24:57 PM »
Yes I would get him down there first thing monday, Rupert's one had got all the way to his eardrum in the time it took me to get him to the vet, only 20 mins!

Ours cost £388 as he had to be put under in order to get it out and then they found the infection (not related to the seed). We were really lucky to have dog insurance.

Good luck for tomorrow and I hope Henry is ok poor thing

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 05:22:00 PM »
I personally would have him at the vet today. If it gets down and bursts the ear drum you have more complications to deal with.
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline carolinemaltas

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 04:19:50 PM »
So trip to the vet, 4 grass seeds in one ear drum and 2 in the other ( which he had shown no signs of!!)perferated ear drum in one and infection in the other. So sedated dog anibiotics and pain killers and no doubt an astronomical vet bill. ( Yes thankfully he is insured!) . I paced and paced whilst he was there blaming myself and  Henry has now slept for 3 hours and is still a bit wobbly bless him!! I asked the vet what we can do to prevent it happening again and she said nothing except don't walk him where there are grass seeds. Pretty impossible with 300 acres of farm land around us!! I check his ears regulaly ( but not regularly enough it seems :'( ) I have tried a snood thing but he hates it!! oh well at least he will be on the road to recovery now.

Offline rupertsmum

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 04:29:08 PM »
Oh my goodness 6 in total  :o

Poor Henry... Our vet said the same thing about avoiding the grass seed areas  ::) ,

also she mentioned putting cotton wool in the ears to stop the seeds getting down there. Just in the opening of the ear, not all the way in.

I hope he gets better soon  :luv:

Offline BabyB

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 05:58:31 PM »
In defence, our vet, Tom, is more than happy for us to use Thornits.  He knew what it was, and said to use it  ;)
Mummy loves her angels - but they're not angels all the time - They love to chew and charge about - but mummy doesn't mind