Author Topic: Grass Seed In Ear - taken to vets :o( *UPDATED  (Read 6176 times)

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
Re: Grass Seed In Ear - taken to vets :o( *UPDATED
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2010, 07:03:22 PM »
Eek nasty! See what I mean about perforated ear drums! Luckily in dogs they heal. So glad your baby is on the mend though.

Re Thornits. I keep meaning to get some though Tali's ears smell so sweet - I have much experience of stinky ears. Anyhow, went to the pet shop today and blow me, they are only selling Thornits, so I got a bottle. Apparently someone who owns two Cockers asked for them to stock it. If it happens to be a forum member I'd be interested in meeting and thanking you.
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline ruraich

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2010, 09:32:17 PM »
Having several cockers I wouldn't take them near seedy grass. It takes two seconds for a seed to get in the ear and a large vet bill to remove it. I could end up with four cockers with seeds in ears  ::) eek!! We walk ours in woods and take them to the river for a swim. I couldn't see any of our cockers keeping one of those snoods on :005:

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2010, 09:38:44 PM »
It's not just grass seeds either - yesterday I met a lovely cocker whose owners were patiently removing loads of those little burrs from her ears, legs, body, head, tail - in fact everywhere!!! Harriet is on heat at the moment, so doing a different walk (nowhere near grass seeds!) but wears her snood when she is in the grass.  She has a brown one so doesn't look too bad and loads of people comment and think she looks cute in it (I personally think she looks daft, but don't tell her I said that - she would be mortified  :005: :005:) at least it keeps the dreaded seeds out of her ears though, so doesn't really matter what she looks like.  She also has 2 black ones - one with little white paw prints on it (very cute) and one with skull and crossbones all over it (for when she has bad PMT!!!)
Hope your little one feels better now.
xx
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2010, 09:53:48 PM »
Penelope - you weren't at Cragside (National Trust) in Northumberland were you? :005:  We took Odie there yesterday and he somehow got covered with some sort of blasted burr (they were round and well fastened in his fur).  When hubby tried to remove, the seeds dispersed into millions of bits - it took ages to remove it all and I was terrified that Odie would get them in his eyes/ears.  Nasty things which we didn't even see Odie going near :huh:  Lesley
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2010, 07:49:49 PM »
some sort of blasted burr (they were round and well fastened in his fur).  When hubby tried to remove, the seeds dispersed into millions of bits
I think burrs are the tiny, hard, green sticky buds and what you're talking about are teasles http://www.stockphotopro.com/photo-thumbs-2/stockphotopro_40787urt_teasle_hooks_.JPG ?

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2010, 08:17:53 PM »
Not sure, these were only a bit bigger than a marble, teasles are bigger aren't they :huh:  Anyway they were well vicious >:(  I'm paranoid about anything becoming attached to his fur or down his ear so sympathise with anyone it happens to. 
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2010, 08:32:07 PM »
Having several cockers I wouldn't take them near seedy grass. It takes two seconds for a seed to get in the ear and a large vet bill to remove it. I could end up with four cockers with seeds in ears  ::) eek!! We walk ours in woods and take them to the river for a swim. I couldn't see any of our cockers keeping one of those snoods on :005:

I am assuming you live in the Ghaidhealtachd  :shades:, if so, you're a very lucky dog owner to be able to avoid seedy grass  :005: :005:

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2010, 08:36:29 PM »
Not sure, these were only a bit bigger than a marble, teasles are bigger aren't they :huh:  Anyway they were well vicious >:(  I'm paranoid about anything becoming attached to his fur or down his ear so sympathise with anyone it happens to. 

these are far less likely to cause problems as they stick on the fur and don't travel - we get hundreds out of Jarvis each day, whatever they are  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2010, 09:52:11 PM »

these are far less likely to cause problems as they stick on the fur and don't travel - we get hundreds out of Jarvis each day, whatever they are  ;)

That's good to know Helen.  Mind you, it takes forever to get the blooming things out, especially as Odie has the major fluff monster look going on! :005:

Offline ruraich

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2010, 10:06:35 PM »

I am assuming you live in the Ghaidhealtachd  :shades:, if so, you're a very lucky dog owner to be able to avoid seedy grass  :005: :005:

Alas no :'( I will be up in August though :D  I'm originally from North of the border. We live near a river and walk the dogs at heel on the path then they get all the exercise they need swimming.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2010, 10:09:02 PM »

That's good to know Helen.  Mind you, it takes forever to get the blooming things out, especially as Odie has the major fluff monster look going on! :005:

I know that feeling - mind you it does get quite therapeutic hauling them all out...Also with cleavers don't worry if they eat them as they are actually really good for the digestive system and are used in all sorts of herbal remedies  :D
helen & jarvis x

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2010, 10:18:00 PM »
Odie did have a fun time trying to chomp them out of his legs :005: so I'm pleased they won't hurt him.  :D

(I've just asked my OH if he had found it therapeutic combing them out - he just gave me that look :shades: :005: to I assume not!)

OH just found a picture of what they were - common burdock - don't know if this makes any difference  :huh:

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2010, 10:25:42 PM »
some sort of blasted burr (they were round and well fastened in his fur).  When hubby tried to remove, the seeds dispersed into millions of bits
I think burrs are the tiny, hard, green sticky buds and what you're talking about are teasles http://www.stockphotopro.com/photo-thumbs-2/stockphotopro_40787urt_teasle_hooks_.JPG ?

The word Burr actually covers both - the goose-grass seed is the small one (also known as sticky willy, cleavers etc), but the larger ones are also burrs - often from burdock or similar plants... these tend to break apart when you try to remove them, and have a great habit of getting entangled in armpits!!!  >:(  

(posted at the same time as last post!!!)
(I'm guessing this http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.divshare.com/img/midsize/3188105-0c7.jpg&imgrefurl=http://elmostreport.blogspot.com/2007/12/burdock.html&usg=__9kxLF0sKBdV4aluXsaPmjltY7Vw=&h=400&w=363&sz=28&hl=en&start=9&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=a0GBSvIlazRyGM:&tbnh=124&tbnw=113&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dburdock%2Bseeds%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26sa%3DX%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official%26tbs%3Disch:1 is the sort of thing you were talking about, Geordietyke?)
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2010, 10:39:42 PM »
Oh yes Karma, that's them little blighters all right! >:( >:(

Offline carolinemaltas

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2010, 08:30:39 AM »
Oh goodness I just don't know what to do ...after the episode last week we have had another yesterday. Just one in his ear this time but another trip to the Vet, sedation antibotics etc etc and the bill is rising.

We live in the middle of nowhere we have 2 acres of garden set in the middle of a 300 acre farm. Henry is used to wandering around the garden and immediate land on his own and has a really lovely life of freedom. How can I keep him in and put him on lead all the time it was would make him v v unhappy . I have tried a snood and it drives him bananas.

He is going to the groomer on Thursday to be practically shaved. I think its the only soluation at the moment until these flaming grasses stop seeding!!