Author Topic: little scabs on ears  (Read 392 times)

sarahR

little scabs on ears
« on: October 12, 2010, 09:53:31 PM »
Was feeling Ozzies ears and noticed a few tiny little  bumps on the inside of her ear at the flappy end.. Had a good look round thinking it might be a few grass seeds but they were little scabs no seed present. Didn't appear to be any inflamation. I was wondering if red mite in chickens is transferrable as she was trying to help when I was cleaning the chickens out the other day beforeI realised they had red mite.   She is scratching them a bit. All her flea and worming treatment is up to date. Has any one any suggestions please. We do walk through fields and woods and go through lots of puddles and mud.
Thanks Sarah and Ozzie

Offline Joules

• Administrator
Re: little scabs on ears
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 08:36:50 AM »
Not sure about red mite but it sounds like it could be harvest mites.  >:( They are tiny little orange mites and tend to collect around the neck and ears as the dog brushes through fields etc.  Best treatment is to get some Frontline spray (not spot on for this) and soak a cotton pad and then wipe around the ears and neck area  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 08:46:18 AM »
He could well have been bitten by the red mite if he got his ears in the bedding when you were clearing out your chooks - I know the little blighters will have a nibble at human flesh if given the chance ;)  >:D

Offline Black Red + Yellow

• Inactive
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 09:06:34 AM »
Finn has had harvest mites and it drove him bonkers!  Your vet can take a skin scraping and sent it away to be doubly sure.

Another thought though...with their flappy ears, my boys often have scabs and scrapes inside their ears from running through the undergrowth and crops.........the wounds can be a little itchy when healing so a little Aloe Vera helps.